Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting Everything into Perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a decent amount of people out there who are upset about this or that. I am a little bit disappointed about a few things...but that's life. We can't all get what we want.

Let me just take a moment to put things into perspective and offer my view of why I think much of this anger is misguided:

• Tesla is the only car company on the planet (as far as I know) that has ever been this open and responsive about the development of a new product with its customers.
  • The Model S will be the longest-range production EV on the planet. Even if you get the base car, it's essentially the same car on the outside. Most other people on the road won't know the difference.
  • The Model S will be the 3rd or 4th (I think) quickest sedan on the planet. Even if you get the base car, it's essentially the same car on the outside. Most other people on the road won't know the difference.
  • Most people think the Model S looks pretty damn sexy on the outside...it's often confused with a Maserati or Jaguar. Even if you get the base car, you get that.
  • The Model S will have the largest digital interface to the car's functions on the planet. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S will be one of just a small handful of cars that can be fully heated and air conditioned before you even get into it. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S will be one of just a few (or perhaps the only?) car where you can watch it driving around from your smartphone. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S will have one of the largest cargo spaces in its class. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S will be a relatively rare vehicle, which lends a bit of exclusivity. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S is the only (or one of the only) cars on the planet with door handles that retract and extend for you. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S is the only vehicle that I can think of in which you can put all of your groceries under the hood, and still store a surfboard, 50" flatscreen TV, and mountain bike in the back. Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S is probably the lowest center-of-gravity sedan on the planet. If not the lowest, it's right near the top of the list. Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S never needs an oil change, transmission repair, or a starter replacement--and rarely needs brakes. Even if you get the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S is single-speed. No jerky shifting. Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S is extremely quiet, extremely stable, and extremely smooth. "We're going to go there and say it: we haven't felt a ride this smooth since driving the Rolls Royce Ghost, a car that starts at nearly $250,000." Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • With the Model S, you never have to go to a gas station again. For 95%+ of driving, you never have to go out of your way to refuel. Even if you have the base car, you have that. Sure...long distance travel is trickier...but for most that's a small percentage of overall driving, and there are alternatives.
  • With the Model S, your cost per mile is about 1/10th that of a gas car. Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • With the Model S, your greenhouse emissions are about half that of a gas car...worst case scenario. They could be zero. Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • With the Model S, you have energy independence. You free your scrotum (if you have one) from the grasp of OPEC. Gas cars don't. Even if you have the base car, you have that.
  • The Model S has the largest panoramic roof on the planet--and (perhaps?) the only one controlled by a touchscreen. For just $1500 over the base car, you can have that.

I'm sure this list can go on and on. I might be a little off with a few facts here and there, but overall this list is pretty accurate.

But for everyone who's upset about what this car DOESN'T have...for everyone who is thinking about dropping their reservation because it doesn't have adaptive cruise control, a backup camera standard, lane departure control, HUD, etc...well, find me another car that has the things above. Keep it in perspective. This car has a lot of sh*t-cool features that make it extremely unique--a game changer. Things that aren't listed at all on the options page...even though they're revolutionary.

No BMW, Leaf, Infiniti, Lexus, Fisker, etc. can match these features. Sure, they might have many neat features that the Model S doesn't. But guess what? The features above make it extremely unique--they make you stand out on the road...they give you interesting things to talk about with friends.

So if nothing in the above list moves you or inspires you, then fine. Get a BMW 535i, a Leaf, an i-Miev, or a Toyota Corolla...whatever suits you.

Just keep it all in perspective, and don't take your eye off what the Model S is really about.

Last edited:
I have long been a huge proponent of Tesla. I am moved by many of the things you mentioned, and have every intention of purchasing the Model S. Tesla is not in any danger of losing me as a costumer (as much as I may hate to completely let them know that at the moment :). But I have every right to voice a little displeasure with the lack of communication on the 0-60 times varying by battery pack size when they in all likelihood knew this all along. I also am not pleased with how Tesla is in no way recognizing the risk that early Sig reservation holder took by putting down a large sum of money that was partly used to support the company's existence, despite the fact that I am not one myself and that I certainly do not feel anyone is entitled to anything in life. But just as a person's character is judged by the choices and decisions he makes, so too is the perception of a company. Tesla had a choice to make whether or not to divulge the estimated 0-60 times as a function of battery pack size well before prices were announced. They chose not to. Tesla had a a choice to make whether or not to acknowledge the risk early Sig reservation holders assumed and do a little something extra for them. They chose not to.

All-in-all I still have a favorable opinion of the company, just not as strongly as it was a few days ago after this latest news. I do think that most people are strongly in support of Tesla (if even somewhat irrationally so) because of the strong emotional connection they have to their upcoming car. In reading the various threads, it is clear the supporters far outweigh the critics.

Nicely written Todd. I just saw the beta (and actually got to sit in the driver's seat this time and play with the touch screen) and it looks great. I even like the interior better than before. They've added a small divider down the middle of the car too to place things. Other small items like cup holders were there as well. This car is a game changer, even with the base model lacking super charging. Roadster drivers have been tacking on miles and miles of electric fun without super charging and have loved it.

it is clear the supporters far outweigh the critics.

I think there are also levels of critic. There are things I'm not happy about, but not to the level where I feel Tesla lied or misled me. I think there are minor gripes here and there, but there are some that are just really pissed about it all so it sort of drowns out the "well, this sucks"-type posts.

Though I have to add a bit of fuel to the fire:

The Model S is the only (or one of the only) cars on the planet with door handles that retract and extend for you. Even if you get the base car, you have that.

The auto-retracting handles are part of the Tech package.

Last edited:
But I have every right to voice a little displeasure with the lack of communication on the 0-60 times varying by battery pack size when they in all likelihood knew this all along.

Absolutely, you can express displeasure about anything...and you can buy whichever car you'd like.

This post was more to the "The Model S doesn't have [name luxury feature on a BMW/Audi/Lexus/Infiniti], so I'm dropping my reservation" crowd. They have a 100% right to feel that way, if that [insert feature here] is truly that important to them. Just wanted to make sure we all keep everything in perspective.

No they're not. They are in the base. You'll just have to press a button in the key fob to bring them out. The tech package allows you to keep the fob in your pocket.

That's not exactly "auto" then is it? When you say auto door handles with Tesla, I picture Elon walking up to the car and them AUTOmatically coming out.

Come to think of it, this was a touted feature too which isn't in the base cars. No outrage there?

+1 to the original post. Excellent list!

Awesome post/thread! I'd add that you also have the safest car on the road, by far, with a huge crumple zone in the front and incredible rigidity all throughout the vehicle to mitigate damage from accidents.

You also have the only sedan in the world where you can put two extra kids seats in the back of the car (for kids up to 5 feet tall!), which means you can comfortably transport 7 people if at least two of them are kids, and STILL have a ton of luggage in the car.

The OP assumes in many cases that you want the car for "vain" reasons. That's not the case.

Also you are not free from OPEC because you need to keep/rent a gas car.

I couldn't give a stuff about 0-60 times being lower. I just want quickcharge (preferably CHAdeMO or 44kW three phase) on the options list.

The OP assumes in many cases that you want the car for "vain" reasons. That's not the case.

I couldn't give a stuff about 0-60 times being lower. I just want quickcharge (preferably CHAdeMO or 44kW three phase) on the options list.

with a third charger you would get at least 30kW. or an external mobile charger. All connected to 3-phase.

Totally agreed. Sure, there are a couple of disappointing parts, but there's so many of good parts that were not necessarily a given. Besides from the ones Todd mentioned, for me the big ones were:

1) being able to keep the pricing (most auto analysts say Tesla can't sell the Model S profitably at the current pricing)
2) keeping the estimated range pack sizes (I was expecting they might tweak it)
3) having the 240V dryer socket included in the base model (they could have been like ALL of the other plug-in manufacturers, including Fisker's $100+k Karma and just gave you the 120V plug and J1772 adapter and made the whole Universal mobile connector optional like on the Roadster).
4) 10kW charger is also the fastest on-board level 2 charger in production cars today (Roadster excepted) plus you can get a 20kW one for $1500. Most have the paltry 3.3kW charger (and no DC charging option whatsoever) and you have Ford bragging all over the place about their included 6.6kW charger.
5) Battery warranty was better than I expected (after all, the Roadster warranty was only 3 years/36k miles, Fisker's is 5 years/50k miles; 125k miles for the 60kWh and unlimited miles for the 85kWh is unprecedented at this point).

It's not as doom and gloom like the recent threads make it out to be.

I don't assume anything.

Vain reasons may not come into play in your car purchasing decision. Do other people buy cars for vain reasons? Absolutely.

Of course not. If you use anything plastic you're not free from OPEC. But you're much closer to it. I still mow my lawn, might take occasional road trips in a gas car, take flights on airplanes, etc....

Very good thread, really does help keep perspective. With all the wishes and excitement that has been building (esp.) since the Open House it was only to be expected that there would be some frustration or disappointment for a few folks. No doubt either that Tesla needs to consider the UK/EU markets where driving habits are different and charging infrastructure is (dare I say it?) more advanced than here in the US.

I'm also wondering how many of the disappointed folks are EV drivers already? We all know that the first questions we get asked are "how far can you go?" and "how long does it take to charge?"; aren't we are all dying to say any number higher than 100 miles and any number lower than 1 hour?

Overall, it's also interesting to see the poll results over here that show today only 3 planned cancellations out of 91 members.

Great post Todd. It seems many comments have to do with 0-60 acceleration or charging options. I have to decide between the 230-mile pack with options or the 300-mile pack with no options. Much of this was no surprise and TM kept us well informed. It can be that sometimes the reality of a decision is more foreboding than just thinking about it.