Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Feature Questions answered (Sat radio, dual charger, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I wrote to the customer service dept. about some of the questions/issues we have been speculating upon and got some definitive answers.

Hi there Evan,

Let me go through each of your questions below and see if I can answer them for you. If at the end you have further questions, please feel free to follow up with me, I would be glad to try and clarify further!

1)Will the base stereo system be XM/Sirius "ready"--some sort of plug in system or activation code. The pricing/options page seems to suggest that satellite radio is ONLY available with the upgraded stereo PLUS the Pano roof!? That's almost $2500 just to get XM built in and seems a bit silly since XM is pretty standard in most vehicles these days.
· Model S was designed without hre characteristic “fin” antenna that many cars opt for in order to receive signals. Our design places these devices within the vehicle which unfortunately limits sattellite reception when coupled with the aluminum roof. As a result, the sattelite option will only be available with the All Glass Panoramic Roof. As an alternative, sattelite radio can be accessed through the internet via a subscription to the connectivity package.
*I followed up to express my disappointment about the necessity of pano roof and to clarify if satellite was only available with the upgraded stereo:
Hi again Evan,
Yes, I do apologize for the lack of Satellite radio capability when not coupled with the Panoramic Roof option. Based on the options listings, it appears that Satellite radio is only available with the Sound Studio Package coupled with the Panoramic roof. The Sound Studio Package is a $950 option that includes many other features such as a 580 watt, 12-speaker Dolby ProLogic 7.1 stereo system.

2)Will it be possible to upgrade to dual chargers at a later date for a reasonable cost, or is that something that needs to be done at the time of build and original ordering?
· We have engineered Model S to allow customers with the 10kW charger option to upgrade to the Twin Charger setup at a later date. The business case and terms of use have not yet been determined and therefore are not an option at this time. We advise customers to choose a Model S charger setup that meets their present as well as future needs.

3)Will the HPC charger be available for the same (or close to same) price later on? I don't know if I'll need it at the time of ordering, but may want to add it on later.
· The quoted $1,200 price for the High Power Wall Connector will likely not change for future purchase, so ordering at a later date will not be a problem.

4)What is the vehicle warranty (not the battery warranty)?
· We are still working on releasing that information, so please stay tuned!

Please feel free to contact us again if you have further questions!

Kind regards,

Stephen Smith | Customer Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, Ca 94304
p 650.681.5051 | e [email protected]

Thanks for the info.

If Tesla doesn't get its act together and offer some sort of DC quickcharging for the 40 kWh battery option, I can see many people in that camp getting the twin-charger option since it would allow 20 kW charging on road trips (although still unacceptably slow compared to DC quick-charging, it's better than nothing). But what's not clear to me, is if I get the twin charger option do I need to get the HPC charger to take advantage of it at home? Will simple two-phase 240V charging work?

That's really odd that they won't allow it. Is it that much different to get a signal strong enough to stream pandora than to get a satellite? Do you need the pano roof to get GPS? When we had a Murano, it didn't come with Sirius and I was able to buy the module and antenna aftermarket and install it. The antenna ended up being a little black thing a tad bigger than a quarter and about 3x as tall. Some (automotive grade) double-sided tape and it was good to go.

Surely they can find a way to get people satellite without the roof. The roof isn't overly expensive, but people have legit reasons for simply not wanting it.

In my experience the sat signal is extremely weak. Driving under trees will block it. I am surprised that they can't find a workaround. My Highlander has the antenna stuck to the windshield behind the rearview mirror. You wouldn't notice it unless you were really looking for it.

From what I understand it's still just one plug. Two chargers that will draw twice the current over the existing plug.
You're correct, it's just one plug for all of the charging options. The second charger allows you to charge at 20 kW instead of 10 kW. This is really only usefully at this point at home with an HPC or if you're traveling to a friend's house who owns a Model S and has an HPC installed. I believe public J1772 chargers at above 30A are very, very rare.

You're correct, it's just one plug for all of the charging options. The second charger allows you to charge at 20 kW instead of 10 kW. This is really only usefully at this point at home with an HPC or if you're traveling to a friend's house who owns a Model S and has an HPC installed. I believe public J1772 chargers at above 30A are very, very rare.
I'm sure that's true...right now. But I'm, personally, trying to think ahead 5, 7, 10 years--as I expect to own this car for at least the next 7-8 years or longer and I'm trying to envision what the world will look like at that time as regards EVs. From my experience with my Prius, which I've owned for over 8 years, there were only about 20k hybrids of any kind on the road when I got mine, the hybrid landscape has changed dramatically in that time frame and I would expect nothing less for the EV landscape, particularly with so many major auto makers coming out with cars. I suspect that almost every car dealership, and many major convenience chains, to offer higher level charging in the next 5 years or so. I think I'm going to want to be prepared to take advantage of that eventuality. I know I can, in theory, add the second charger later, but I think the reality is that I'm unlikely to take the time or swallow that expense (considering the 8 hours of travel to get to a Tesla dealer) to make that happen.

You may be right and adding the second 10kW charger when you order the car would make a lot of sense. It's cheaper and easier to get it done from the start rather than hope Tesla will add it back as an option after you bought the car.

I'm sure that's true...right now. But I'm, personally, trying to think ahead 5, 7, 10 years--as I expect to own this car for at least the next 7-8 years or longer and I'm trying to envision what the world will look like at that time as regards EVs. From my experience with my Prius, which I've owned for over 8 years, there were only about 20k hybrids of any kind on the road when I got mine, the hybrid landscape has changed dramatically in that time frame and I would expect nothing less for the EV landscape, particularly with so many major auto makers coming out with cars. I suspect that almost every car dealership, and many major convenience chains, to offer higher level charging in the next 5 years or so. I think I'm going to want to be prepared to take advantage of that eventuality. I know I can, in theory, add the second charger later, but I think the reality is that I'm unlikely to take the time or swallow that expense (considering the 8 hours of travel to get to a Tesla dealer) to make that happen.

Hi Evan,

So if the Tesla service center was closer, say three hours away, would you defer the installation of the second charger and wait to see how EV infrastructure evolves?

The big question is in the next 5 years or so will the number of high amperage Level 2 chargers adjacent to major highways, be much more available than Tesla's proprietary "Supercharger"? Most folks won't need high amperage Level 2 charging at home, nor will they need it at work or during a hotel stay. So the main utility of high amperage Level 2 charging, (in conjunction with the second on-board charger) will be to locate them off of major highway routes, just like the Tesla Supercharger. So in 5 years even if there were a few high amperage Level 2 chargers located on the highways, don't you think that in all likelihood there would be a EV with a small on-board charger plugged-in ahead of you for hours, and hours and hours...? :wink:

Looking out 5 years we would have to accurately predict that other competing EVs, equipped with large on-board chargers, would have entered the market in large numbers to justify the second charger. Otherwise, why would any establishment install a more expensive high amperage Level 2 charger if only a few Tesla Model Ss (with dual on-board chargers) could use them? Pehaps by that time Tesla will be producing their third generation "reasonably priced" vehicle, but would it be produced in sufficient volume to induce the wholesale adoption of high amperage Level 2 chargers? I doubt it.

I'm guessing that in 5 years roadside DC fast chargers will be the dominant technology and a second on-board charger will have little utility.

Larry

Last edited:
I'm guessing that in 5 years roadside DC fast chargers will be the dominant technology and a second on-board charger will have little utility.

That's a good point Larry. You may have just convinced me to re-direct my $1500 from the twin-charger to the 19" aerodynamic wheels ;) But this is also all the more reason why the news of no DC fast charging on the 40 kWh option is heart breaking. Hopefully Tesla can deliver the goods and correct this.

In my experience the sat signal is extremely weak. Driving under trees will block it. I am surprised that they can't find a workaround. My Highlander has the antenna stuck to the windshield behind the rearview mirror. You wouldn't notice it unless you were really looking for it.
In my Corvette they put the antennas in the side mirrors.

I assume from your nick that you live on a coast. As all the satellites are south of Texas, the further you get away from there the shallower the signal and easier it is to block.

My Toyota had the antenna as a small square "brick" right forward where the dash meets the windshield - it had a clear view to the sky. I'm puzzled about the pano-roof/satellite thing but I want the pano-roof anyway, so it'll make no difference to me in the end.

Hi Evan,

So if the Tesla service center was closer, say three hours away, would you defer the installation of the second charger and wait to see how EV infrastructure evolves?
Maybe, it would certainly factor in. Also, often these things can be DIY/aftermarket so those options may yet be available.

The big question is in the next 5 years or so will the number of high amperage Level 2 chargers adjacent to major highways, be much more available than Tesla's proprietary "Supercharger"? Most folks won't need high amperage Level 2 charging at home, nor will they need it at work or during a hotel stay. So the main utility of high amperage Level 2 charging, (in conjunction with the second on-board charger) will be to locate them off of major highway routes, just like the Tesla Supercharger. So in 5 years even if there were a few high amperage Level 2 chargers located on the highways, don't you think that in all likelihood there would be a EV with a small on-board charger plugged-in ahead of you for hours, and hours and hours...? :wink:
You may be right, but it seems that the major systems will offer the ability to reserve spots for the chargers. Also, I think rural areas will likely be serviced by auto dealerships predominantly and those will be available almost everywhere. I think RV parks will see a market in higher amp chargers as well as service stations. I just don't think the penetration of the Tesla super chargers is going to be that great.
Looking out 5 years we would have to accurately predict that other competing EVs, equipped with large on-board chargers, would have entered the market in large numbers to justify the second charger. Otherwise, why would any establishment install a more expensive high amperage Level 2 charger if only a few Tesla Model Ss (with dual on-board chargers) could use them? Pehaps by that time Tesla will be producing their third generation "reasonably priced" vehicle, but would it be produced in sufficient volume to induce the wholesale adoption of high amperage Level 2 chargers? I doubt it.

Larry
5 years! I just can't believe we'll see them that quickly, at least outside of major markets. There's no way there'll be enough EV penetration in 5 years to justify that. I honestly hope I'm completely wrong there, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

In my Corvette they put the antennas in the side mirrors.

I assume from your nick that you live on a coast. As all the satellites are south of Texas, the further you get away from there the shallower the signal and easier it is to block.
Ha different kind of wave, but yeah I've done all my driving with sat radio in California. My understanding is that it's also a very high frequency signal which is more easily blocked than we're used to in the FM or AM bands.

1)Will the base stereo system be XM/Sirius "ready"--some sort of plug in system or activation code. The pricing/options page seems to suggest that satellite radio is ONLY available with the upgraded stereo PLUS the Pano roof!? That's almost $2500 just to get XM built in and seems a bit silly since XM is pretty standard in most vehicles these days.
· Model S was designed without hre characteristic “fin” antenna that many cars opt for in order to receive signals. Our design places these devices within the vehicle which unfortunately limits sattellite reception when coupled with the aluminum roof. As a result, the sattelite option will only be available with the All Glass Panoramic Roof. As an alternative, sattelite radio can be accessed through the internet via a subscription to the connectivity package.
*I followed up to express my disappointment about the necessity of pano roof and to clarify if satellite was only available with the upgraded stereo:
Hi again Evan,
Yes, I do apologize for the lack of Satellite radio capability when not coupled with the Panoramic Roof option. Based on the options listings, it appears that Satellite radio is only available with the Sound Studio Package coupled with the Panoramic roof. The Sound Studio Package is a $950 option that includes many other features such as a 580 watt, 12-speaker Dolby ProLogic 7.1 stereo system.

Hi Evan,

In my previous postings I neglected to thank you for this very helpful posting.

I do have a question that perhaps Tesla, or other knowledgeable forum members can further clarify.

What happens to satellite radio reception when the sunshade is closed?

Larry

Hi Evan,

In my previous postings I neglected to thank you for this very helpful posting.

I do have a question that perhaps Tesla, or other knowledgeable forum members can further clarify.

What happens to satellite radio reception when the sunshade is closed?

Larry
You're welcome, my Tesla rep was quite responsive to my questions and it sure cut a lot of the idle speculation out of the equation on these issues. As Mycroft stated, my impression was that the antenna was built into the glass (probably around the perimeter) and thuse is not affected by the shade.