Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Options/Pricing: Things I Liked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
While many threads have highlighted the unpopular elements of Tuesday's release, more than a few points in the new/updated options and features pages made me smile:
  • Narrower body: a comparatively skinny 77.3", apparently including mirrors. Somehow it lost 6" over the fall; I wish I had!
  • Front leg-room of 42", a bit better than similar cars. Rear leg-room isn't bad, either, and presumably I can trade off one for the other.
  • Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel.
  • 8-year battery guarantee, unlimited miles on 85kW pack (and lots of miles on the smaller packs). Need to see the fine print, but this is a very good start.
  • Power rear liftgate: a feature I love on my BMW, unexpected here.
  • Electrochromatic side mirrors: offered as an option, presumably means electrochromatic rearview mirror is standard.
  • Two rear USB ports: much better to have the 4 USB ports distributed 2+2 rather than as 4-in-a-row on the dash, as had previously been released.
  • J1772 adapter standard.

While many threads have highlighted the unpopular elements of Tuesday's release, more than a few points in the new/updated options and features pages made me smile

Here's some more:
  • UMC is included at no additional cost
  • Second charger is optional, if you want to save the money.
  • Performance option is $5K less than Roadster equivalent, and has bigger benefit (1.2 seconds instead of only 0.2 seconds faster 0-60)
  • Signature actually has some options not forced upon you (Pano roof, rear seats, Performance).
  • Performance pkg gets you $1500 discount on required options you'd probably get anyway (leather, air suspension, 21" wheels/tires)

Last edited:
I'm happy with microfiber being the standard material. I do not want leather, even as a no-cost option. Happy to save some money there. I could not care less alut the seat warmers not being available in microfiber seats.

But they should really commit to making a CHAdeMO adapter...

Pano roof now includes a shade, and as mentioned, the power liftgate. I expect that on an SUV, so that's cool to see it here. Overall, I think the pricing was very fair (especially the pano roof, they could have gone crazy with that).

The thing I liked the most about the options was that every option was available to you whether you got the 40 kWh or the 85 kWh. Many auto makers force you to buy the higher level car in order to access one of the options you might like. For instance Honda is one of the worst, you have to get the top of the line trim level in order to get the one option you want the most. [Example you have to get the $40K Touring Elite in order to get the Blind Spot Monitoring safety feature - this should be available on any trim level].

So I like the fact you can get a fully loaded 40 kWh or a fully loaded 85 kWh and there is no way to tell them apart when they're sitting side by side.

I actually think the options are not that badly priced! I'm used to Audi (remember: Europe!!), BMW and Mercedes, options are always VERY expensive.

But what do I love?
- Sport is not that expensive!
- Leather + alcantara, my favorite!
- Sound system, wauw!
- Rear USB, even better!

I can get a fully loaded Model S for ~90k USD, not that bad. Try to find a loaded Audi (A6 3.0) or BMW (53X(d)) here in NL for that kind of money, that is impossible!

I like that a total top of the line Sport isn't much more than $100k. Actually, the pricing on everything not related to the Signature I think is imminently fair, and the fact that the bundles aren't too bundled (tech bundle is the only one with a ton of stuff in it that you have to take) is great. It's very clear that you can select which options you want or don't want (pano roof, child seats, enhanced audio, leather interior, twin chargers etc.) for really reasonable/fair prices for each option. If the Signature didn't inexplicably cost thousands more than its non-Signature twin, with no appreciable benefit to the extra thousands spent, I'd say Tesla hit a home run on the pricing and options.

Even though I'm not getting them, I thought the options for the most part were pretty fairly priced. I think $10k for sport is a great deal compared to the $20k+ premiums you pay for M and AMG cars. $1500 for pano roof and air suspension (look how much aftermarket can cost) I thought were good value too. I also appreciate, as Arnold says, that the bundles aren't too bundled.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the price of the Pano roof. I expected $2,500 and wouldn't have been too surprised if it was $5,000. Think of all the tech in there! Special glass and retraction mechanism, plus they somehow incorporated a manual shade for those Florida wankers. ;)

It was surprising that they're requiring a pano roof for satellite radio when they could have installed the antenna somewhere on the dash, behind the rearview mirror, or even at the top of the hatchback window.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the price of the Pano roof. I expected $2,500 and wouldn't have been too surprised if it was $5,000. Think of all the tech in there! Special glass and retraction mechanism, plus they somehow incorporated a manual shade for those Florida wankers.)
Even in NY we get our share of sunshine. :cool: It is a good price point for the Pano roof.