Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ten Predictions For The Electric Vehicle Market In 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Car sharing services will expand the market for EVs and hybrids. Car sharing is one of the hottest trends in transportation, with start-ups and established rental companies launching commercial and peer-to-peer services. Services that enable renting per hour and on demand fit well with EVs because the higher up-front cost of the vehicles can be recovered through higher rates paid for short-term rentals...

In the SF bay area (at least) some charging spaces got dual-purposed for ZIPcar drop off.
It makes sense to use a plug-in vehicle if it is to be left at well-known public locations awaiting the next short term renter to take it somewhere else.
Zipcar-Cheap-Transportation-College-Student-Zip-Car-Rental.jpg

Agree?...

Mostly. But a bit 'iffy' about these:

9. Employers will begin to purchase EV chargers in large numbers. Employers looking to attract and retain young professionals will begin to offer free or low-cost EV charging at work in 2012. Workplace charging can effectively double the range of an EV when employees know that they can reliably charge at the office.
Green-leaning high tech employers like Google are already doing this, but I don't think it will become generally commonplace for a while.

I wish my employer offered on-site charging, but not holding my breath.

10. EVs will begin to function as home appliances. In many households, the EV will be the device that consumes the most energy and power. In 2012, manufacturers of the vehicles - as well as charging equipment - will introduce technology that will enable EVs to interact with other home appliances.
Not sure where they are going with that. I sometimes call my LEAF an "appliance" because it plugs in to use power, and I use it as a "single function commute device" as part of my daily routine. It isn't the "go anywhere road trip" car like my old gas vehicles, so I think of it more as a somewhat tethered home appliance. But how will it integrate with other home appliances? Smart-phone remote monitoring and control, sure, but what else? I guess someday smart home electronics could see that my washer, dryer, & over were all off so more power could go to EV charging, but I don't think that level of overall household power management is coming so soon.

Green-leaning high tech employers like Google are already doing this, but I don't think it will become generally commonplace for a while.
My employer recently purchased a company LEAF and installed a dual charging station. But then again, we are a company making utility software so it makes sense. Plus there are already two employees with LEAFS.