Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Pricing Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now the US pricerange is available I am starting to wonder what we can expect in Europe.

My hope is that the pricerange will be calculated as followed:
US Price -/-30% (euro/dollar conversion) + 10% for shipping and handling.

Wich would mean for a Signature with Performance Package:
97,900 dollars = € 82.850,- euros

It may be wishfull thinking but for that price I will upgrade my P for an S in an instant. In some countries VAT has to be added.

What do you think is realistic?

Some blog post or email from Blankenship said that European pricing would be available 6 months before sales. Since they should do Signature sales around new year 2012 I'm guessing around summer 2012 for final pricing. Though they might actually show something at the Geneva Motor Show in march. You can of course use the current roadster's "exchange rate" to get a hint at what level they are at.

Cobos

The exchange conditions for USD to EUR are very unfavorable. After adding 19% VAT in Germany, I arrive at similar or slightly less number than dollar amount. E.g. the Roadster base model is $109k and EUR99k. The replacement battery guarantee is $12k and EUR11k.

Last edited:
If I calculate the dutch roadsterprice back to the US roadsterprice it should be around 90% of the us dollars price in euro's. So 105,400 dollars would come out to 94.860 euros.

I understand that it will take a few months for Tesla to release euro pricing. If we are unlucky the euro will fall further compared to the dollar and the car will increase in price more and more..

I'm guessing somewhere around 85k EUR for a fully loaded Model S (non-sig) sport with all the options I can get. It might go towards 90k.

This is excluding VAT. Not bad where the Roadster was 99k excluding VAT (19%).

Since EV's are free from 'bijtelling' (5y) (Dutch car tax) I don't care that much. Not paying that tax saves me about 30k :)

Yes, I'm buying the Model S on my company, which also gives my company some tax rebates.

Last edited:
I'm guessing somewhere around 85k EUR for a fully loaded Model S (non-sig) sport with all the options I can get. It might go towards 90k.

This is excluding VAT. Not bad where the Roadster was 99k excluding VAT (19%).

Since EV's are free from 'bijtelling' (5y) (Dutch car tax) I don't care that much. Not paying that tax saves me about 30k :)

I think i have to move to the Netherlands as well. 160% deduction from income. I germany i get fined to be taxed 1% of the car value per month as income plus 19% VAT.

Yes, I'm buying the Model S on my company, which also gives my company some tax rebates.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know it's 151% :)

This is the reason why I got interested in the Model S. Thing is that as far as I know for 2012 this is still the case but for 2013 we have to wait if we can still get this tax rebate. At first I thought the model S could replace my X5. But since my wife uses this car a lot and it's used for vacation I will keep it (and it's 12k "bijtelling" each year).

If I can get a Signature in january 2013 (paid in december 2012) I will upgrade my P to an S. Just to be sure to get the tax rebate. The higher price of the Signature won't be a deal breaker for me.

Only downside is that I wanted the dark grey color with isn't a Signature color (yet).

if 10% is added, a bare signature should then cost 95.400$*0,77€/$ * 1,1 = 80.708 € + local VAT , but no one knows
if we are using Dennisf roadster price difference of 90% into considerations, then the bare signature should be around 95.400$ *0,9 €/$ = 85.860 € + local VAT

in short price may be in range 0,846 -> 0,90 factor from US price

This gives the following Euro price indications for the 4 models (excl local VAT). (I've included my own best guess)
Base 40: 48560 € -> 51660 € (49.900 €)
Base 60: 57020 € -> 60660 € (59.900 €)
Base 85: 65480 € -> 69660 € (68.900 €)
Perf 85: 78540 € -> 83160 € (81.900 €)
Sig 85 : 80708 € -> 85860 € (84.900 €)
Sig Perf: 89168 € -> 94860 € (92.900 €)

As you may notice, Tesla could go just fine with the curent US prices in Europe, just replace the $ with € suflix :cool: - the top models will however be a litle less due to ther 7500 $fed tax credit not incluede in Tesla prices

Here are som Euro prices for the options with the same calculations applyed:
metalic: 635 € -> 675 € (650 €)
glass roof: 1269 € -> 1350 € (1300 €)
sound up: 804 € -> 855 € (850 €)
Teck pack: 3173 -> 3375 € (3200 €)

Please notice that you will still need to apply local VAT for your own cuntry. And that these numbers are calculated with current exchange rates, witch may change over time

Niels I agree these prices look sensible, though it's the custom to include the VAT and other taxes in the sticker price in Europe so any rounding off to a nice number will be including VAT. That probably means you wont get a starting price below 50k € with all taxes included. They might even go for below 60k € for the base models including tax.

Cobos

your right, the nice round numbers must be including VAT and in local currency.
the reasoon I did not include the VAT is it may vary from contry to country - in denmark the VAT is 25%, germany I belive it is 19% and in norway it is 0% for EV's.

If we look at the price that you have to pay to get in line :wink: 5k dollars is 4k euros to get your reservation down. Then a 100k Tesla would cost 80k euro. Since the reservation prices were introduced the euro/dollar exchange currency has changed so I'm afraid the 80% calculation will be way off...

It has been rumored that Tesla will announce European pricing of the Model S now at the Geneva auto show in march. Does anyone know anything more about this rumor? When I've asked my Tesla Rep (Irene) she has said "summer 2012" for pricing.

Also - do you other Europeans believe (like I do) that Tesla will just decide on one price in Euros for the European market, and then for the countries that don't have Euro it will be exchange rate and after that adding any VAT's, customs/duty, other taxes and fees?

Last edited:
I think it would be a huge mistake to announce European prices too soon.
The Eur/USD exchange rate is too volatile right now.
What do you mean with too soon? After all the start price for the 40kWh version has been known for over 2 years in the US. Geneva is the first time Europeans can see the car in Europe, so we might see an upswing in reservations then, but the big one will probably come when they finally announce pricing.

Cobos

It has been rumored that Tesla will announce European pricing of the Model S now at the Geneva auto show in march. Does anyone know anything more about this rumor? When I've asked my Tesla Rep (Irene) she has said "summer 2012" for pricing.

Also - do you other Europeans believe (like I do) that Tesla will just decide on one price in Euros for the European market, and then for the countries that don't have Euro it will be exchange rate and after that adding any VAT's, customs/duty, other taxes and fees?
I think Tesla will announce the price in euros, and when they announce the pricing, also hedge their Euro estimate, so that if the currency conversion leads to a loss, financial investments will make up for that loss. Prices outside of the Euro zone will probably be tied to the Euro, and be adjusted more frequently according to the currency conversion to the Euro.

I'm actually thinking of investing a bit in Euros so that the price in NOK will be more predictable. I'm thinking now would be a good time, as in the last week, the currency conversion has lead to the price dropping from probably around NOK600,000 to probably around NOK550,000 for the Model X. I'll wait until the Model S pricing is announced, I think. Norway is a big enough market that they might decide to sell the car in NOK and hedge accordingly.

Last edited:
I sent an email to my Tesla rep. She said the service center/showroom in Oslo would be up and running by April, and that the Norwegian prices would be set in NOK for the Model S and X. The Roadster however is priced in Euros.

So, the hedging is done by Tesla and we won't have to worry about it. It's fairly probable they'll announce the price in Euros before they announce the price in NOK, though. The Euro price should be a strong indicator of the NOK price, though.