Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my pros and cons of the air suspension (from my fairly uneducated thought on the matter):

Pros
-Slightly improved aerodynamics (3-5%?....rough guess)
-Improved capability for getting in and out of steep driveways
-Smoother ride
-Improved handling

Cons
-Increased cost ($1500)
-decreased reliability...more to go wrong.

As I understand it, air suspension systems can be fairly complex, and could be one of the more unreliable Parts of the Model S.

So what do you think? Is the air suspension worth it? Why or why not?

I think it is worth it and it will be an option I get (if I follow through on the purchase).

I really like the 21" wheels (less now that I see they are $3,500). So I was thinking that the Air Suspension could smooth out some of the added harshness from the lower profile tires.

Been wondering about this option as I know absolutely nothing about the value it adds. I'm not sure how I'd even know if it's doing something during the ride. I don't see myself needing it for raising or lowering while at rest.

Here are my pros and cons of the air suspension (from my fairly uneducated thought on the matter):

Pros
-Slightly improved aerodynamics (3-5%?....rough guess)
-Improved capability for getting in and out of steep driveways
-Smoother ride
-Improved handling

Cons
-Increased cost ($1500)
-decreased reliability...more to go wrong.

As I understand it, air suspension systems can be fairly complex, and could be one of the more unreliable Parts of the Model S.

So what do you think? Is the air suspension worth it? Why or why not?
That was a good observation. A good reference point on the air suspensions would be the old Lincoln Towncars. I know that the technology has improved but it's still a point of failure.

Here's a link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lincoln%20town%20car%20air%20suspension&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGUQtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dt1uQaN9x37U&ei=WivzTrOAM9OUtwfjmvzQBg&usg=AFQjCNGFCiDNntcQ1uzVrGVlZfGORSfo4w

Last edited:
Rolling through the hood on dubs? :smile:
I was thinking the same thing when I posted. Can I independently adjust the suspension and bounce the front. ;). Oh, and my S will be rolling through the hood on dubs+1. ;) Or "twankie deuces I owe you one"

But really I can't see myself coming up to a curb and adjusting my suspension unless it's fast. I'm more of the type to take a chance and scrape. I've done it in many cars and it sucks but rarely visually noticeable.

Air suspension, or other?

Is there any reason to not get the air suspension? That was given considerable attribution for the pleasant ride & handling during the Get Amped tour. Since it's actually an upgrade, what are the pros and cons to choosing air vs conventional?

Having owned a couple of Citroens, there's no question about it for us. That's one of the major attractions of the car. The combination of good handling and road comfort in our CX, especially on chewed up surfaces, was amazing. I just hope the Model X has automatic lowering of the car when stopped for easier entrance/egress as the Citroens had.

You save $1500 with the conventional springs. That is about it.

The air suspension is also likely to break and need repair/replacement at some point (10 years? 20 years?) whereas the conventional springs will probably never need replacement (unless you really drive the car a lot). It may be a consideration if you plan to keep the car a really, really long time.

The air suspension is definitely preferable in all other ways. It gives you an inch or so of extra clearance when you need it, which matters out here in rural areas, as well as giving you a more comfortable ride.

The air suspension is also likely to break and need repair/replacement at some point (10 years? 20 years?) whereas the conventional springs will probably never need replacement (unless you really drive the car a lot). It may be a consideration if you plan to keep the car a really, really long time.

The air suspension is definitely preferable in all other ways. It gives you an inch or so of extra clearance when you need it, which matters out here in rural areas, as well as giving you a more comfortable ride.

I don't think that conventional suspension need less maintenance than air suspension. And then with air suspension you can also electonically compensate some problems that conventional suspension can have due to aging.