Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound System Comparison: 200W vs 580W

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have had nice sound systems in your cars in the past (I have *not*), can you let me know what you think of the difference between the 200W (lower-tier) and 580W (upper-tier) sound system offerings?

For someone who's trying to minimize cost, and is looking for good sound without going deaf, is the $950 upgrade really worth it?

For those of you who have had nice sound systems in your cars in the past (I have *not*), can you let me know what you think of the difference between the 200W (lower-tier) and 580W (upper-tier) sound system offerings?

For someone who's trying to minimize cost, and is looking for good sound without going deaf, is the $950 upgrade really worth it?

Besides the higher wattage, the upper-tier system has a dedicated sub-woofer (the .1 in the specs). It takes lots of watts to make good, tight sounding bass (in a small enclosure), so my guess is most of the additional watts are being used to power the sub. Also the speakers are probably of higher quality and have more headroom to play without strain. One thing I would be concerned about is if the head unit can only play mp3 quality files. To much information is lost, the system should be capable of at least CD quality 44khz/16 or better still 96khz/24 or higher capability.

I plan on listening first, then deciding.

To answer your question, if Tesla has done the sound system properly, you will notice the improvement and $950 is not unreasonable. It's not about just playing louder, but playing more faithfully i.e. fidelity. I have a high end home system and the same principles apply to car systems.

Last edited:
On that note...

"200 watt ... includes AM/FM/HD Radio ... storage for up to 500 songs"
"580 watt ... over 3,000 songs"

No mention of CD. :(

It's that over 3,000 songs that has me worried; I hope I can choose the file format quality (44khz/16 to 192khz/24) and not be stuck with just MP3 quality files. From other postings, my understanding is no physical CD slot; music will need to be downloaded into the Head unit.

Hi,

I can't answer Todd's question whether the upgraded sound system is worth $950, but it should be noted that they are upgrading from two-channel stereo over 7 speakers to multi-channel 7.1 over 12 speakers. The upgraded system also has provisions for satellite radio if you go for the panoramic roof.

Larr

they are installing the receiver in your skull and it requires line of sight to the satellites to function properly ... ;~)
That's the best explanation I've seen so far:smile: It's probably the typical throw in a feature people want with the 'sunroof' bit that most car companies do. I certainly hope it's a technical reason.

My guess is that the antenna is in the car and gets blocked by the steel roof.

Thanks. All is right with the world now:smile:
I'm glad it's probably some technical reason. I wasn't planning on getting the panoramic roof since I'm in Texas but guess I'll need to see how much I want satellite radio I guess. With pandora and the iPod, there's less of a need for it in my case.

I'm glad it's probably some technical reason. I wasn't planning on getting the panoramic roof since I'm in Texas but guess I'll need to see how much I want satellite radio I guess. With pandora and the iPod, there's less of a need for it in my case.

I'm in the same boat. I like having Sat. radio - but prefer the look of the solid-roof car. Hard choice.

I for one am glad there's no CD slot. That's so 90s :).

Actually, I really like the CD slot in my Infiniti G37. Every time you put a CD in the slot it automatically rips it. We spent a few weeks stuffing a different CD into the slot every time we got in the car. Now there's quite a big library of songs on the drive, which is really handy. Negligible effort required.

I really hope the Model S' tech package is as good as the G37's. Although it doesn't have the huge screen, Infiniti/Nissan has set a pretty high bar for functionality and usability.

As for the satellite radio, I have no use for it. We either listen to local radio, or music on the hard drive. (In fact the XM feature in my Infiniti is about the only thing that I find slightly irritating. I don't subscribe to XM, yet there are three slots for it in the steering wheel's "Source" button rotation.)

Todd - One thing to also check is the robustness of the amplifier. A sign of a very good amp is its ability to double the the wattage when the resistance is halved. Now it's debatable if a bullet-proof amp sounds better and a weaker amp, but most people usually associate a well built amp to quality hi-end sound.

I'm in a similar situation, though I DO want the pano roof. I'm paying for Sirius on 3 cars right now (though technically one is still in trial mode), and use it on exactly none of them. I just pop my iPod or SD card in and go.

I for one am glad there's no CD slot. That's so 90s :).

I agree, though it does come in handy for ripping songs