Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tidbits from the facts page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Since I've been going through and finding what's new there, I figured I'd compile a list:

While technically possible to upgrade from a 40 kWh battery to a larger battery at a later time, Tesla recommends configuring your Model S with the battery that meets both present and future needs.
(hinting at upgradable batteries, so perhaps we can get 400 mile packs in a few years? Keep the S fresh :smile:)

Model S is child-seat ready. It features the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) System that eliminates the use of seat belts to secure child safety seats. There are two LATCH System anchors in the second row seats.
(I remember there were questions about this, and it's also pretty relevant to me since I'm soon to be a daddy)

Aerodynamic 19” wheels are designed to reduce wind resistance. Disc-like in shape, they channel air along the sides of the vehicle and can add up to 5% range during highway driving.
(So 315 ideal miles on the 85kwh pack)

Signature Red is only available for Model S Signature vehicles. An additional shade of red will be introduced in 2013.
(For those interested in that Muir red)

Tesla offers three batteries, denoted by the kilowatt hours (kWh) of energy they store: 40 kWh, 60 kWh, and 85 kWh. Travelling 55 mph, the kWh figures can be translated to the stated range capabilities of 160, 230, and 300 miles, respectively.
(They've officially switched to using capacity and citing estimated ranges)

As energy storage capacity increases, so does the total power. This results in quicker acceleration.
As energy storage capacity increases, so does the battery’s long-term mileage capability. Each battery comes with an 8-year warranty but the mileage differs.
(Explains the power and warranty differences. Also sort of alludes to bigger capacity packs bringing better performance in the future?)

Battery lifetime is affected by two things: age and the energy it delivers over the years. The Tesla battery is optimized for nightly charging: such topping off enhances the longevity of your battery.
(I know I've had questions re: this, and it seems the official stance is to top off nightly.)

The Universal Mobile Connector comes standard with three adapters: Standard 110-V, Standard 240-V, and a J-1772 Charging Station adapter. Many other adapters will be available for purchase.
(For all those worried about Tesla "going it alone" and if they'd have to pay for compatibility)

The Model S Charge Port represents a significant technological advance from Roadster. Tesla is evaluating the best way for Roadster owners to use their existing equipment and/or upgrade to newer, more capable units.
(Sounds like Roadster owners won't be left in the cold)

Here are some options-related tidbits:

Tech Package has electrochromatic side mirrors

Performance has carbon fiber accents

Leather is perforated

12-way power adjusted seats

Tech package has power liftgate

Last edited:
"The Universal Mobile Connector comes standard with three adapters: Standard 110-V, Standard 240-V, and a J-1772 Charging Station adapter. Many other adapters will be available for purchase. "

This one irritated me. Apparently they're coming standard with a dryer socket (NEMA 14-30) plug, but NOT with a campground socket (NEMA 10-50) plug. Is there anyone who *doesn't* want too get the campground plug?

I'm seriously considering getting a second UMC, actually, so that I can leave one at home at all times while taking one with me at all times. But of course they don't have a price up for getting a second UMC, either.

So I *STILL* don't know how to wire my garage, after all this news! I can rule out the HPC (too expensive for what it gets me), but I have to figure out whether Tesla's going to charge an arm and a leg for the NEMA 14-50 connector.

So I *STILL* don't know how to wire my garage, after all this news! I can rule out the HPC (too expensive for what it gets me), but I have to figure out whether Tesla's going to charge an arm and a leg for the NEMA 14-50 connector.

My guess would be that it'll be $100, just like it is for today's UMC. With the Roadster, they gave me my choice of adapter free with the UMC, so hopefully they'll do the same for the Model S.

This one irritated me. Apparently they're coming standard with a dryer socket (NEMA 14-30) plug, but NOT with a campground socket (NEMA 10-50) plug. Is there anyone who *doesn't* want too get the campground plug?

My suspicion is you'll get the NEMA 14-50, not the 14-30. They were being rather imprecise when they said "dryer plug". Most consumers don't even realize range plugs and dryer plugs are different. They look the same.

At the very least I'd expect them to offer you a choice. After all there is no difference in cost.

My suspicion is you'll get the NEMA 14-50, not the 14-30. They were being rather imprecise when they said "dryer plug". Most consumers don't even realize range plugs and dryer plugs are different. They look the same.

At the very least I'd expect them to offer you a choice. After all there is no difference in cost.

Actually, I think older dryers used the 14-50, so yeah...they were probably just being imprecise in their language. It'll be a 14-50, I think.

Last edited:
"The Universal Mobile Connector comes standard with three adapters: Standard 110-V, Standard 240-V, and a J-1772 Charging Station adapter. Many other adapters will be available for purchase. "

I'm seriously considering getting a second UMC, actually, so that I can leave one at home at all times while taking one with me at all times. But of course they don't have a price up for getting a second UMC, either.

I would prefer as I believe that most would to have the 14-50 connector be the standard.

Just go ahead with the NEMA 14-50. There's no reason to hesitate. My reasoning:

• They almost certainly will supply a NEMA 14-50 plug, not NEMA 14-30
  • The Roadster plugs are $100 each. Surely it won't be higher. It could be cheaper.
  • Worse-case, you can easily downgrade the socket to NEMA 14-30. It would take a few bucks for a socket, and about 10 minutes of your time. Trivial to do.
  • It's a heck of a lot harder to upgrade from 30 amp to 50 amp, because then you have to upgrade the circuit. Absolutely no point in going that route.

Well, we can hope. But when they say "dryer plug", I am entitled to expect that they mean "dryer plug", not "range plug"/"campground plug". :p If it's gross website incompetence, they should fix it.

I guess I'll start sending emails.

Just go ahead with the NEMA 14-50. There's no reason to hesitate. My reasoning:

• They almost certainly will supply a NEMA 14-50 plug, not NEMA 14-30
  • The Roadster plugs are $100 each. Surely it won't be higher. It could be cheaper.
  • Worse-case, you can easily downgrade the socket to NEMA 14-30. It would take a few bucks for a socket, and about 10 minutes of your time. Trivial to do.
  • It's a heck of a lot harder to upgrade from 30 amp to 50 amp, because then you have to upgrade the circuit. Absolutely no point in going that route.

OK, good advice. Thanks.

one other thing i noted was that there will be manual sunshades included with the pano roof. Not exactly sure what this means but i assume that this should alleviate some peoples fears of having the pano roof under extreme hot sunny conditions ...

Yeah, I noticed that too. Given the amount of griping about the lack of a shade earlier, I'm surprised it hasn't really been mentioned.

Complaint noise often turns to silence quickly when the concern is addressed. Not surprising.

What I find surprising is that Tesla didn't see the 40kWh supercharger concern as something to address preemptively with a blog post or somesuch.