Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: No Supercharging for 40Kwh :(

Quote Originally Posted by rolosrevenge View Post
    I still will never know why they didn't simply add identifying software which dials down the current to only a 40 kW charger when you plug in a 40 kWh pack. It would take the same time to get you on your way at least. Here's hoping they put a 20 kW AC charger at the locations to accommodate any 40 and non super charging 60 packs that may end up in desperate need of a charge.
    To me it seems fairly simple:
    Tesla has designated "supercharger" as "much faster than 20kW". According to Supercharger | Tesla Motors, they decided 90 kW is "much faster" than 20 kW.

I think you're asking "but why can't they just drop that down to like 40 kW". Because a factor of 2 is not "super", it's just "double"? That's my read at least.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Items for Sale
    Makes sense. For someone like me that does not do long trips the 40 is more than enough, however the longer charge time and the lack of charging stations around Portland is lame. I can do the 65 but 10K 70 more miles is out of my range with the added options. It also looks like they are discontinuing the 40 in Europe?, I wonder if they will do that in the US?

Model X #1417
    I continue to hope that the reason it's discontinued in Europe and not available on the X is that they're dropping the 40 and adding a 120.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by RDoc View Post
    I continue to hope that the reason it's discontinued in Europe and not available on the X is that they're dropping the 40 and adding a 120.
    Says the person that can afford a 120.

Quote Originally Posted by rolosrevenge View Post
    I still will never know why they didn't simply add identifying software which dials down the current to only a 40 kW charger when you plug in a 40 kWh pack. It would take the same time to get you on your way at least. Here's hoping they put a 20 kW AC charger at the locations to accommodate any 40 and non super charging 60 packs that may end up in desperate need of a charge.
    Why didn't they invest more time and money into building a system that would encourage their customers to spend less money on their products? The world may never know...

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Why can't you supercharge the 40 kW battery?
    Please do a search first. This topic is discussed at length here: No Supercharging for 40Kwh

Also please choose thread titles more descriptive than "40". Will merge.

Clogging the pipeline

Since QC 40s would have to SC more often, and take longer (because of need to hit high SoC, etc.), they would potentially clog and monopolize some stations (near cities, e.g.). And even then could charge only enough to maybe limp to the next station -- or to the next city (since stations will mostly be inter-city, not intra-city).

Feels like the wrong tool for the job.

Charging a leaf with 25kw takes 7 to 10 minutes longer (instead of 1h 30)
    http://www.americas.fujielectric.com...9%207-3-12.pdf page 4

I think this shows that charging much faster for such "little" batterys is overrated and not necesary.
    That is why I think Tesla did not add supercharging to the 40Kw Battery

Do you think waiting 1h30 iinstead of 1h40 is worth 500$ ? (price twin-charger 1500$, price for supercharging = 2000$ (+ 10000$ for 60kw battery) )
    Maybe instaid comme together with Tesla-owners and start installing HPC's!

Model S - P4676
    The problem is, with Tesla's announced supercharger rollout plan, superchargers will be far more common than public 90A HPWCs. But, yeah, if there were lots of places to take advantage of the dual chargers, supercharging wouldn't make much sense for 40kWh packs.

This question may have already been answered on the forum, so I apologize in advance since I'm unable to find it.
    Is it worth getting the twin chargers for the 40kWh if I don't plan to quick charge at home? Are there public chargers in the wild that we can take advantage of with the twin chargers?

Phil
    40kWh, Black, Tan Leather, Obeche Wood Matte, Pano, Tech, Active Air

Thread Information