Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster: an electric car with a diesel generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when I drove, they were parked across from Alice's. Also, not sure a 220V would be "reasonably" accessible - or worth the significant bother every time they have to hook up. Plus, that's not the only location they take the trailer for test drives. So, while using a generator isn't "ideal", it's understandable.

-Scott

Charging with a generator has certain requirements. Has anyone spec'ed out what the Electric car wants?
Grounding? Noise? Clean output?

A Honda Put-Put VS a commercial tow plant each have many differentiating qualities even the ones for construction VS studio (movie) lighting.

What about sinewaves, sinusoidal and square, harmonic distortion, inverter types, etc. etc.

I've never been able to charge from a generator and haven't known any Roadster owners who were successful in their attempts. However, at an EV event last fall there was a guy who was selling an inverter system that connected to a Prius battery so you could use your Prius for backup power. He wanted to prove it would charge my Roadster and I was somewhat doubtful. But it worked! We left it connected for almost 2 hours at 115v, 16A before I had to leave. He said it produced a "perfect sine wave" and I noticed the voltage remained very stable which is usually not the case with most generators. So I can't answer your question exactly but I know it has to be a sine wave without too much harmonic distortion or voltage fluctuation.

I have a Xantrex Prosine inverter in my truck. It will allow charging up to 20 amps. They are a little more expensive, but it gives clean power and will change an EV.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-inverters/overview.aspx

I've never been able to charge from a generator and haven't known any Roadster owners who were successful in their attempts. However, at an EV event last fall there was a guy who was selling an inverter system that connected to a Prius battery so you could use your Prius for backup power. He wanted to prove it would charge my Roadster and I was somewhat doubtful. But it worked! We left it connected for almost 2 hours at 115v, 16A before I had to leave. He said it produced a "perfect sine wave" and I noticed the voltage remained very stable which is usually not the case with most generators. So I can't answer your question exactly but I know it has to be a sine wave without too much harmonic distortion or voltage fluctuation.

Yes there is a towable genny thread. I just wanted to focus on stationary generators and what characteristics they must have to charge an EV regardless of size.

Ingineer/Phil's doubles as a stationary generator. It is designed as a portable self fueled (by propane) CHAdeMO QC for events and such, but doubles as a range extender when he needs to get to some event further than the usual LEAF range.

How Does Nissan Recharge Some Leafs? With A Diesel Generator
portable-diesel-powered-440-volt-quick-charger-for-nissan-leaf-electric-cars_100329909_m.jpg

Nice find! From the article:

Our editor Marty Padgett commented in our recent 2011 Nissan Leaf roundtable that he really wants a home version of a 440-Volt quick charger.

Unless his local residential grid supports some serious power consumption, a diesel generator like the Hasetech one may be his only option. And we rather suspect his neighbors wouldn't like to have one of these parked in his driveway.

Sooo - the neighbors wouldn't be amused with a Diesel genset, but a pickup truck is OK?

Sooo - the neighbors wouldn't be amused with a Diesel genset, but a pickup truck is OK?
Most folks don't leave their diesel pickup truck running at full throttle in the driveway for half an hour to an hour, and if they do, the neighbors probably would be very annoyed. I hate the noise of lawn mowers, and I'll bet a diesel genset would be a lot worse.

Thanks to our friends at AAA:

First Electric Vehicle Charging Truck Put Into Service in LA

(LOS ANGELES, April 20, 2012) — The region’s first electric vehicle charging truck was commissioned for service today by the Automobile Club of Southern California and Assembly Transportation Committee chair Bonnie Lowenthal (D-Long Beach), and the organization unveiled its first fixed-site electric vehicle (EV) charging station at its historic headquarters building in downtown Los Angeles. Two more charging stations were opened today in Costa Mesa.

The Auto Club’s mobile EV charging vehicle is part of the national AAA Mobile EV Charging pilot program which has placed vehicles in Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay area, Portland (Ore.), Tampa Bay area and Knoxville. The AAA Mobile EV charging vehicles were developed by Huntington Beach-based Green Charge Networks. The Auto Club’s truck is equipped with a compressed natural gas generator to power the charging unit. It will provide service in the downtown Los Angeles area.

The new Auto Club EV charging station, developed by AeroVironment, Inc. of Monrovia, will be available free of charge to members and the public during regular business hours. The charging station has two ports that allow up to two electric vehicles to recharge simultaneously at 240 volts. Two additional AeroVironment EV charging stations are also open today at Auto Club locations in Costa Mesa.

These two EV initiatives are part of the Club’s growing alternative fuel research program that includes the Auto Club fleet of 20 smart fortwo EVs acquired last year to kick off its research program. The fleet is one of the nation’s largest private fleets of smart fortwo EVs.

And Green Charge Networks:

EV Roadside

EVRoadside™ is our solution to help stranded electric vehicles back on the road swiftly and safely. The 260 Amp onboard vehicle system provides a quick battery charge — enough for three to 15 miles of driving. This allows the driver to reach the nearest fixed-location charging station for a complete battery recharge.

Developed in cooperation with automotive giant AAA, EVRoadside is used exclusively by AAA to provide roadside service. Depending on the operating environment, various systems have been deployed ranging from Lithium Ion batteries to systems running on bio diesel. EVRoadside™ is also an ideal solution for companies deploying electric fleets for sales, service or maintenance crews.

Interested in more information? Contact us at [email protected]

The use of the diesel generator is a smart choice on the part of Tesla Motors... It provides a good way to charge the test drive cars when electricity is not available, it has a lower noise output over a gasoline generator and ease of transport in the Ranger vans. An other option could have been a LPG (Liquid Propane Gas) generator.

I think TM could fully build out their Ranger vans with a solar system on top of the trailer which stores power in a battery backup and a generator system as a backup in the future if the generator is a problem for some.

Most folks don't leave their diesel pickup truck running at full throttle in the driveway for half an hour to an hour, and if they do, the neighbors probably would be very annoyed. I hate the noise of lawn mowers, and I'll bet a diesel genset would be a lot worse.
TonyWilliams had a 56kW diesel generator at a LEAF meeting the other month to show off Andromeda Power's portable QC stations. The noise from the generator was much more pleasant than your typical lawn mower.

Pics starting at this post: My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - San Diego Meet, June 14 ?????

PriUPS concept is the way to go - how much power can they handle? A good 240V inverter plugged into the batteries at 16A would be a LOT better than the 120V/16A mentioned.