Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HD Video cam on the console with 3 cams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla rep is showing the dashboard functions on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CjnL573Tcc

I noticed when he talks about the video cam function, he is stating that it will show video from 3 diffrent video sources
this is new to me, I thought that there would be only one :)
1 cam in each side mirror
1 cam in the back

a cool function could be a video recording feature witch always would record last e.g. 120 min of driving - this could be really handy sometimes e.g. trafic accident og if you are driving by a event witch would be nice to see again.
a front video cam would be best or just one of the already planned cams
(recording to a external SD card/usb HD)

Hello All,
My name is Michael, and I am the presenter in that video.
I want to apologize for the error in stating that the Model S will have an available "tri-view" camera.
I read some misinformation prior to the presentation, and was quickly corrected thereafter.
To confirm, the Model S will only offer a single view camera...not the tri-view mistakenly quoted.
I hope this clears up any confusion.
Again...my apologies.

Michael

@michael - you are all forgiven, one can always have got things wrong, and best is to correct it as fast as posible. 1 or 3 cams is not a big deal, though would have been cool.
You could consider leaving a comment on you tube as well below the video, just to clearify for others only looking at youtube.
Anyway thanks for the demo witch is very nice to see.

(moderators may close this thread for replys, so it goes to the buttom)

Just random, but I put 3 cameras on the back of my old Ford RangerEV, and got a very wide LCD that shows 3 video images at once.
I find it very handy, particularly on a large truck with otherwise poor rear visibility.

Some of the Aptera prototypes had 3 cameras like that too.
Too bad if Model S doesn't have it, as it is a good idea!
(Cameras are fairly inexpensive these days, and Model S already has a lot of LCD display area...)

Just random, but I put 3 cameras on the back of my old Ford RangerEV, and got a very wide LCD that shows 3 video images at once.
I find it very handy, particularly on a large truck with otherwise poor rear visibility.

I'd even want 7 cameras (not sure about the cost, though). The mentioned 3, then 2 when backing out (at the rear bumper to each side), and 2 on the front bumper to each side (when coming out of a garage or so).

I want simulated "eye in the sky" 360 degree view...

Fujitsu 3D 360-degree car camera | Electronics | House of Japan - Japan News Technology Autos Culture Life Style
310x175-images-pozeelectronice-fujitsu3dcarcamera.jpg

New Infiniti Parking Camera System | Motorward
Infiniti-parking-camera.jpg

Well in addition, I'd like interior cameras. One to keep an eye on the kids in the jump seats. Perhaps one to see who's driving my car. Also I'd like to be able to access these cameras via iPhone app with a live feed. Hopefully secure. I want video evidence of the next guy that gives me a door dingy.

Every car should have that!

The superimposed color rectangles should be possible even with a single camera, although the software needs to know the steering wheel position.

For all the features, it's actually 8 cameras needed, altogether. I want these things for a long time already. My previous car didn't even have a screen.

EDIT: Or, 6 cameras. The two sideways cameras in front and in back might make the two on the side mirrors obsolete (unless the higher position is useful).

Last edited: