Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross-border charging electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcstp

Feb 7, 2011
Belgium
Grensoverschrijdend opladen elektrische voertuigen | Mobimix

Google Translate

3 membership-schemes will be offering rouming! Same system as mobil-phones!

Blue-corner (belgium) - e-laad.nl (netherlands) and ladenetz.de (germany)

They see the problem of membership-schemes apparently, but apparently don't see alternatives to these schemes!
I guess it's a bit like with phone-companys! Trying to get clients to stick with them!
Bit like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand!

It feels a bit like a "goldrush" for sticking the EV-driver!
I am only affraid there will be not many EV-drivers wanting to lose their freedom to choose!
Anyhow people charge 95% at home! The rare times electriccars charge elsewhere is for a fastcharge where you "pay-as-you-charge"! Or charge free in return for a service!

The last kicks of an industry drowning?

Why do you have to be a member of anything? If they want to charge for use they should accept payment by credit card.
That is something I really like about the US, you can do EVERYTHING with your credit card!

In Europe it works different, there are so many different payment systems, although Maestro seems to become the big winner.

Currently charging is done with a (most of the time free) membership and a special card with a RFID chip.

The cross-border charging has been something I've already ran in to, I tried to charge at the RWE charging stations, but I couldn't :(

Although I don't like the membership, I'm happy with this initiative.

Maybe in the future NFC (Mobile phones) could/should be used to give you access to a charging station.

They should apply KISS and use PAYG when electricity is not supplied as part of another service (eat, sleep, play, park, etc.)... the only people who benefit from these membership schemes are the people running the networks.

I wonder how big the benefits are from this membership-schemes!
I really wonder how many EV-drivers are into membership-schemes and how much they pay and how much they use them!
Would make an interesting Ev-consumers study!

I wonder how big the benefits are from this membership-schemes!
The proposed Chargemaster flotation of the POLAR Network is expected to value them at £77m http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8820480/Chargemaster-plans-25m-float.html. POLAR is membership based :wink:

I really wonder how many EV-drivers are into membership-schemes and how much they pay and how much they use them!
Every EV driver I have spoken too rejects the idea of membership schemes. POLAR received so much kickback from this Leaf forum that they actually removed many of their posts and withdrew http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/4454-POLAR-(Chargemaster)-quot-will-have-a-nationwide-EV-charging-network-quot

I can see why companies might find it attractive to require membership in a closed network. With highly superficial and self-centered thinking it could be to their advantage. Unfortunately they've lost sight the fact that customers have to actually want your offering.

As a consumer, I want to be able to travel in my EV, confident in the knowledge that I can get a nice fast charge whenever needed. And I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for that service.

What I'm not willing to pay for is a useless monthly subscription, which tries to lock me into a service that I can't even use to get from Point A to Point B due to poor coverage. Thus necessitating me joining several networks paying several useless monthly subscription fees.

Listen up, people, I want to stick my credit card in a slot and get a charge. Period. End of story. Move on.

The proposed Chargemaster flotation of the POLAR Network is expected to value them at £77m http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8820480/Chargemaster-plans-25m-float.html. POLAR is membership based :wink:

Every EV driver I have spoken too rejects the idea of membership schemes. POLAR received so much kickback from this Leaf forum that they actually removed many of their posts and withdrew http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/4454-POLAR-(Chargemaster)-quot-will-have-a-nationwide-EV-charging-network-quot

I wonder what the prospectus will tell in the POLAR-offering-for-flotation
Real numbers or hoped for numbers!

Maybe that is why they give away the free littlechef chargingcards! To make their offering to investors more acceptable than it actually is! Having more users then users who actally pay! Is'nt that called "throwing up some dust"? Or "throwing sand in the eyes" of investors!

Listen up, people, I want to stick my credit card in a slot and get a charge. Period. End of story. Move on.

My German Angst cuts in here. Far too many ATM were set up with forged card readers and cameras/forged key pads to read the entered PIN. There were even completely forged ATM set up in pedestrian areas, that did not tell money but just displayed an error message. The forged devices transferred the data wireless to a receiver nearby or via SMS from prepaid cell phone tariff (=user not traceable).

With a RFID card, the network operator bills the registered account. I can identify his transaction on my check book.

I completely agree that I don't want to acquire a dozen RFID cars and join a subscription scheme with monthly fees.

My German Angst cuts in here. Far too many ATM were set up with forged card readers and cameras/forged key pads to read the entered PIN. There were even completely forged ATM set up in pedestrian areas, that did not tell money but just displayed an error message. The forged devices transferred the data wireless to a receiver nearby or via SMS from prepaid cell phone tariff (=user not traceable).
This is where using a credit card adds a layer of protection.

:cursing: If those people put that much effort into making an honest living they'd probably make a lot more money.

I'm just used to sticking my credit card in a gas pump. (Not that I do that nearly as often as I used to.) I suppose it would be a heck of a lot easier to fake a charge point than a whole gas station. But I doubt a fake charge point would be as good an investment for the crook as a fake ATM. There's a lot more traffic at an ATM. So I'm really not that worried about it.