Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A wants list for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my wants list for things not yet mentioned about the Model S that I think should be added. Let me know what you think. :biggrin:

(Note: All off the items listed here are today’s/old technology & completely do-able.)

• An option of electrically controlled tint on all windows including panoramic roof (I would pay through the nose for this).
  • A built in way to cover or hide the 17in screen in the car so some fool doesn’t try to rip it out.
  • A Tesla car cover completely lined with solar panels that charges the car while parked. (Could be stored in the front trunk).
  • A hardware switch in the Model S that turns off all data Signals leaving your car just like in modern laptops (this would address any privacy concerns).
  • A highlander type App that “when enabled by each user” lets you know when there’s other Model S or Tesla’s in you vicinity (5 miles or so, but exactly where).
  • An “electric miles driven” Xbox style leader board App. I’m guessing Tesla will do this because the Leaf has this (I think).
  • Integration with open source charger databases like the openchargemap.com database to pull charger locations and plot a course to them built into the Infotainment screen.
  • A rain sensor that closes your windows and sunroof when it starts raining.

Last edited:
  • A built in way to cover or hide the 17in screen in the car so some fool doesn’t try to rip it out.

Can't see the reason for this:

1. Any thieves who would be interested in the screen would know that it's in every Model S.
2. I'm betting a lot of the hardware is buried in the car, not connected to the screen. Ripping it out would probably be somewhat useless.
3. Anything integrated into the car is covered by car insurance.

The cover could use the flexible solar panels, but I don't think it will generate alot of energy. The cover will only have at most 3 m^2 of usable area and at pretty low amperage, at most you'll get maybe 1-5 miles for 8 hours.
Bentley has the glass tinting, it's pretty cool and is a 20 K option
I think alot of people may have an issue with the Tesla finder- it would be cool, I don't have an issue with it, but with me it would be going off all the time (already know someone in the area is getting one- I talked them into getting one)

1. Any thieves who would be interested in the screen would know that it's in every Model S.

I disagree. The Model S will be a pretty rare car. I doubt if all thieves will know that much about Tesla. It's possible that if you park in a bad neighborhood someone could break in because they saw the screen. Call me over cautious, but I think a screen cover is a good idea.

I disagree. The Model S will be a pretty rare car. I doubt if all thieves will know that much about Tesla. It's possible that if you park in a bad neighborhood someone could break in because they saw the screen. Call me over cautious, but I think a screen cover is a good idea.

It would seem people would go for in-demand items. A common radio that can be popped out and resold (and re-installed) is a much better target than an unknown quantity. Thieves in general want to get the most bang for their buck in the risks they take, so the Model S being rare would mean that #1 the thief may not even know what the screen is and #2 even if he assumes it isn't integrated, he has to know that the resale market for the part has to be pretty small. So in the end, still no real issue.

It would seem people would go for in-demand items. A common radio that can be popped out and resold (and re-installed) is a much better target than an unknown quantity. Thieves in general want to get the most bang for their buck in the risks they take, so the Model S being rare would mean that #1 the thief may not even know what the screen is and #2 even if he assumes it isn't integrated, he has to know that the resale market for the part has to be pretty small. So in the end, still no real issue.

Exactly right. The cars most often stolen or broken into are the same ones that are the biggest sellers, because it's easiest to sell their parts (Honda Accord, Toyota Camry etc.). Car thieves generally aren't going to have much use for a car whose parts they will have a very tough time selling on the black market. Plus, the car will almost always be traceable if they take the whole thing, which is another disincentive to theft.

Joyrides, on the other hand, could be a major problem!

Faking or cloning the FOB at current technology levels is rather difficult since it uses KEELOQ for an "On demand" laptop/key clone, but once someone figures it out once, it's over. The real concern is if you have a few antennas acting as repeaters it's rather trivial to break into and start a car.
Keyless cars vulnerable to hack, theft | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

To prevent this, I would recommend putting the key in a faraday cage (key case) when not within proximity of the car, or have something so you can turn off the RF transmission

To prevent this, I would recommend putting the key in a faraday cage (key case) when not within proximity of the car, or have something so you can turn off the RF transmission
But if my key fob lives in a little case, then I have to take it out every time I approach the car, and stow it as I leave... which seems a lot like what I do with my current metal-in-slot key.
:eek:
Another approach would be to have the car query the key every n minutes during the drive. Missing key? Begin safe shut-down sequence. The car could be stolen, but shortly afterwards it stops and notifies you (and locks the doors and fills the passenger compartment with sleeping-gas....:wink:).

Yes, that is true about having to take the fob out of a case- it is a pain. That is a good idea to do a query every so often to ensure the key is with the car. Actually that would put On-star to shame, but I would recommend a "slow speed decrease" so that the thieves can safely pull over, don't want to cause the car to stop in the middle of the highway (with regen it would slow down abruptly) and start flashing the alarm, I say 100 dB- annoy the thieves and also alerts police and other drivers that the car is stolen

Hmm. I'd better start thinking about suitable Faraday cages. Tinfoil? :)
Lots of RFID wallets out there -- a sensible precaution, as credit cards and passports are getting "chipped" these days. Having your car stolen is bad; having your identity stolen is worse! Here are some instructions for making your own RFID wallet from aluminum foil and duct tape; and another! :smile: Lots of decent RFID-shielded wallets on the market, but I didn't spot anything for car fobs.

Going through tons of posts... one wish on such a list I have not see as yet: Integration of charging stations to the Navigation System together with computed miles on the actual battery status.
So, if one plans a trip through the on-board navigation system, it would be a great help - while driving from A to B - to be guided to the next charging point, in relationship of the remaining battery-milage.