Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a Whack at Making a Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NYT: Tesla Has Battery Problems

Check it. . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/14/business/smallbusiness/14cars.html

The relevant quote is on page 2:

Tesla has had its struggles. It originally said it would have cars for sale by mid-2007. But it recently said that it was delaying production — reportedly because of problems with the battery technology — until the first quarter of 2008, when it will sell its first 50 cars.

If NYT keeps repeating this even after being corrected, can't Tesla eventually slap them with a libel lawsuit or something? Okay, that would be going way too far, but still. . . It's mighty frustrating.

It's the usual thing. Everybody (except Tesla) is saying batteries are the problem, so reporters who don't do their homework assume Tesla is affected by the same issue.

I don't see this ever stopping until Tesla Roadsters start getting delivered to customers.

-Ryan

Another article that got the "Tesla battery/transmission problem" wrong. Have you emailed Darryl?

The article should also clarify that not only is Tesla making 600 cars in 2008 but they have SOLD the 600 cars that are being built in 2008.

Rumor Mongers and Scalp Hunters

I'm afraid many reporters these days seem to be either rumor mongers or scalp hunters. They don't check their facts.

They often complain that they don't have *time* to check the facts. I thought that was their job. We pay them to do the equivalent of a weekly high school paper for each story because *we* don't have the time.

Many of them are appallingly ignorant, too.

Then, naturally, when I complain about an article I think is obviously wrong that's the one time *I* should have checked my facts.

funny quote. . .

Here's a funny quote from the article. . .

“Once you have the battery and the propulsion system, building a car is not that complicated,” Mr. Koch (of Venture Vehicle) said.

I'm reminded of what Martin said about some degree of naivete being required before starting a new car company. :wink:

Kardax,

I agree. What difference does it make (as far as reasons why the delay) if Tesla fails to deliver on a set date? The problem here is that a highly anticipated and hyped (let's not forget expensive) car hasn't been delivered as promised. That's why people are ticked. I wish Tesla luck and speed in production for their customers' sake.

Here's a funny quote from the article. . .

“Once you have the battery and the propulsion system, building a car is not that complicated,” Mr. Koch (of Venture Vehicle) said.

I'm reminded of what Martin said about some degree of naivete being required before starting a new car company. :wink:

One slight correction. Mr. Koch is from the investment firm. Makes me kind of wonder what they told him to get the $6 million. I really don't think any of the investors in Tesla Motors are laboring under such delusions.

Side note; I was forwarded this article at work from an executive who knows my interest in "alternative" vehicles. This guy knows very little about the car industry, Tesla, or any other. But that quote still caught him as being so fundamentally wrong that he singled it out when he sent me the e-mail.

Other vehicles with transmission problems.

The M1 Abrams tank has an exotic powerplant: a gas turbine derived from a helicopter engine. It also has an electronicly controlled transmission. During development the tank crews found that it would shift into reverse while the tank was still moving forward. They used this fact to invent the "bowtie manuver". They would pop up over the brow of a hill, lay the gun on the target, and shift into reverse while the tank was still moving forward. The stablized turret allowed them fire accurately while retreating back under cover.

Unfortunately that helicopter engine tore up quite a few transmissions. The vendor ended up disabling shifting into reverse while the tank was still moving. This was a disappointment to the crews.

The press didn't report that story accurately, either.