Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Supercharger" plans for Germany (Current HPC network)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
TeslaMotors Facebook Page
The EV revolution is here! Exhibit A: Germany's already extensive high-power charging network. With Model S hitting the road next year, Tesla's super charging strategy is ready to make gas stations a thing of the past.
390358_10150455208682801_18790602800_8674900_1074429262_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am, indeed!
BTW from the 29 superchargers on display in Germany, only 6 are "in the middle of nowhere". There's simply no stretch of 200 empty miles to place a supercharger within. Just a little crowded country, I guess.

Edit: the SC located SE of Frankfurt would be FRA airport, thus not really a void place.

To meet Volker.B, I'd use the SC north of Nürnberg. We would meet near Leipzig and charge over night for the travel home - that is if both of us can afford a model S with at lease 230 mi range!

Last edited:
BTW from the 29 superchargers on display in Germany, only 6 are "in the middle of nowhere".

I'm counting 22 in Germany plus one in Eindhoven. The sentence does sound like it refers to existing chargers. The word "already" would suggest that there will be more Superchargers than that. EDIT: Or maybe "just" additional spots.

EDIT 2: Well, 19 of them in Germany.

Last edited:
HPC are no SUPERCHARGERS !!!!!!!

No, however it sounds like the Model S will be able to use the HPCs as well.

(Although I personally, given my driving experience in Germany, would likely (want to) use only SuperChargers, except for overnight stays. The same would probably apply to those who I know in Germany who might be interested, but maybe I should find out to make sure.)

No, however it sounds like the Model S will be able to use the HPCs as well.

(Although I personally, given my driving experience in Germany, would likely (want to) use only SuperChargers, except for overnight stays. The same would probably apply to those who I know in Germany who might be interested, but maybe I should find out to make sure.)

Model S only charge with 40A, little more than the half of the HPC or a second onBoard charger is needed to make full use of the HPC amperage (70A max.)

How many kW do the existing HPCs support?

They are configurable based on available circuit capability. Ideally 70A, but sometimes less (like 40A or even 30A). So generally in the 6 to 16kW range.
Anyone know how many of the existing German HPCs are 70A?
How about HPCs in GB/UK?

(edit: Llyod and I were answering the same question at the same time!)