Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2002 Honda Insight 138K miles 61city/70+highway mpg! - $8950 (Buffalo, N.Y.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the highest mpg (hybrid) car, ever mass produced by any company, ever! It is one of my 2002 Honda Insight 5-speeds in silver. The car has 138k ALL thruway miles! The car has no problems, runs perfectly, and looks like new. I've owned 8 of these first generation 5-speed insights, and this one is by far the cleanest, most well cared for of them all! To look at the car (inside, outside, underneath on a lift, etc.) and to drive the car, you'd swear it is a 30k mile car. As those of you who are familiar with the first generation insights know, this car is ALL aluminum, including the frame, hence the curb weight of only 1818 lbs! They do NOT rust at all! There are no rips or tears in the car's seats or carpets. In fact, they are the nicest I've had in any of my 8 insights! It's suspension, handling, steering, shifting and clutch are also very, very tight, and everything works exactly as it should! These cars last; and all go over 300k miles (lifetime-wise.) In fact, one just recently sold with 440k miles on the original motor and transmission! (It's a Honda!) Myself and the previous owner have always used pure synthetic 0w20 as recommended by Honda, (religiously!) It has a clean, ONE owner carfax, along with a clean NYS title, with no liens, in my posession. This car is the most well cared for insight you'll ever find; no exaggeration. Come and see it, and drive it. I'm quite certain the first person to do so will not only be extremely impressed, but will in fact buy this car! You will absolutely LOVE this Insight, especially when you fill up the tank with 10 gallons, and drive for 750 miles! My best trip was an 1160 mile trip from Arkansas, in which I averaged 82.4 mpg! The ULTIMATE commuter car, and absolutely phenomenal on the thruway! I get asked about my daily driver (2000 model in silver) all the time, as there were only a total of 12,000 of these cars made through all 7 years (2000-06.) Only half of these 12,000 first generation insights were the 5 speeds, which get the crazy 61/70+ mpg's. The automatics got about 20 mpg less; not even close to the standards. It is extremely futuristic looking and extremely aerodynamic with the lowest coefficient of drag of any mass produced car (cd of just .19.) I just listed the car in the paper a couple days ago, and have tons of calls coming in already, so I know it won't last long! Stored in my heated garage when not being driven, too! (PS: Did I mention you can get over 70 mpg on the thruway?!) I've been averaging 73 mpg on dry roads this time of year. Higher mpg's in summer weather. Great tires, brakes, etc. It literally needs nothing at all. Everything works exactly as it should! Single in dash cd player. All digital dash. Perfect original body and original paint that shines like new! No dents! Honda dealer maintained it's whole life. Garage kept. Thanks for looking! Chris 716-946-6070
silver1.jpg
silver2.jpg
silver3.jpg
silver4.jpg
insight6.jpg

Attachments

• insight7.jpg
    insight7.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 3,627
PRICE DROP $8500, plus a citrus yellow 2000 model, 1 owner CA car with only 78k miles

Price lowered to $8500. Must sell! I also have a rare "citrus yellow" (green) 2000 5-speed model from CA (one owner, clean carfax) with only 78k miles on it in perfect condition for $12k. The citrus color was only available in the first year (2000) and only on 400 cars.

IMG_8111.JPG
IMG_8112.JPG
Here's a couple pix of the citrus insight....I haven't pulled it out from under the cover yet to take some good detailed pictures, but these will at least give you an idea! Both are stored in my heated garage.....

Attachments

• radio[1].jpg
    radio[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,767
I realize they are year round daily driver hybrids, but with the highest epa rating of 61 city/70 highway, they are the highest mpg cars ever mass produced by any company. My record is 824 miles on the 10 gallon tank on a highway trip at 70 mph! Besides, I'm only selling them to open up some room in my garage for a roadster (and possibly a Leaf for the wife!)

Chris, I assume they both have original batteries, no? From what I've read they are only good for 130,000 to 150,000 miles and cost about $2,200 for replacement. These cars look great though. Honda was ahead of it's time when they made these, so much so people weren't ready for them.

I've fully reconditioned the pack (even though it was working fine.) I do all my own work. It's not that difficult. It cycles perfectly, charges and discharges properly, and charges to the full 20 bars on the meter. Trickle charging tops off and equalizes all the cells in the pack. It is very good for the battery pack. As you guys know, when putting a battery car away for storage, you should have a full charge on the battery pack. And top it off every month or so. Even if a cell ever went bad, and had to be replaced, you can get them for $40 to $50 for a whole stick (7 cells tack welded end to end in heat shrink.) Simple. I've had 8 of these cars now with as many as 250k miles on them, and have never had a bad cell or stick in any of them! Price lowered again to $7995! Also have an all original loaded red 88 Pontiac Fiero GT for only $4k. Trying to make room for a roadster!

Price drop again $7k. Other than pure electric, where else can you find an 1800 lb. all aluminum car (including the frame) that has a cd of only .25, and gets over 70 mpg? A phenomenal daily driver, especially on the thruway!

Hi guys!
I've had a number of these first gen 5-speed insights now, over the past 6 years or so. I currently have 3 I'll be selling, including a real nice 2005 5-speed in silver @ $9995. Call me for details if interested in any. Thanks!
Chris

Hi Guys!
Sorry, it's been a long time since I was on this forum. I do have more first gen (2000-06) Honda Insight 5-speeds, as I am always buying and fixing them up! They don't last long with gas prices pushing $4 a gallon again! If you commute a decent amount of miles daily, and can get by with a 2 seater, nothing comes close to these cars mileage-wise (61 city/70+ highway.) Call me directly for more info and current available selection!
Thanks!
Chris
716-946-six zero seven zero

Attachments

• IMG_9330.JPG
    IMG_9330.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 316
Last edited: