Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any competition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea on who may introduce a 200+ mile 5 passenger "affordable" BEV other than Tesla?

Everyone else who isnt pretending ( I'm looking at you Audi ) is planning 100 mile BEVs or EREV hybrids.

Infiniti is expected to have a sedan within the next 2 years. But they may decide to do the lower price, shorter range thing.

BYD could surprise us with something...

Daimler? VW/Audi?

On the other hand, Tesla may have the "premium, decent range, 100% electric, performance luxury sedan" segment all to themselves for a little while.

Would Toyota consider putting Tesla tech into a Lexus model?

I was going to mention Infiniti but they were talking 130 mile range..
I wonder whether Infiniti will do multiple range options. Also, they may be able to do the "160" mile instead of 130, if they have enough space.

I don't think anyone is planning a very large EV like the S - with enough space to hold enough batteries to offer 300 mile range (UDDS?).

Anything that comes out for the next several years will be at a disadvantage as the other car makers are trying to adapt an ICE designed car to an EV. Tesla is advanced in EV technology, and I believe it will take the others many years to begin to catch up. Tesla has a unique opportunity and advantage.

Anything that comes out for the next several years will be at a disadvantage as the other car makers are trying to adapt an ICE designed car to an EV. Tesla is advanced in EV technology, and I believe it will take the others many years to begin to catch up. Tesla has a unique opportunity and advantage.
I think the only direct competition might come from BMW - who are designing EVs from scratch. I beleive they have, apart from i3 & i8, other cars like i5 on the design boards. Something like i5 would be large enough to hold enough batteries to challenge S on range. But it might be more than 5 years away.