Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory HID headlights!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
Not sure if this is news or not, but the final 5 roadsters off the line have Tesla-designed (sourced?) high-intensity discharge headlights in them. There's one on the floor in Menlo Park. It's so much brighter... I'm jealous.

But maybe this means that this will soon show up on the Roadster Upgrades page?? One can hope.

Anyone have one of those lucky cars and can comment on the performance of the headlights?

You can actually order them now as an upgrade. They're not on the upgrade page for some reason but they cost $2,500 (I think I have that right, can't find the e-mail). I'm getting them installed next week. Can't wait.

Not sure if this is news or not, but the final 5 roadsters off the line have Tesla-designed (sourced?) high-intensity discharge headlights in them. There's one on the floor in Menlo Park. It's so much brighter... I'm jealous.

But maybe this means that this will soon show up on the Roadster Upgrades page?? One can hope.

Anyone have one of those lucky cars and can comment on the performance of the headlights?

I have been on the list to get the upgrade for a few months. Mine will be installed this Wednesday. I saw them at the Oakbrook, IL grand opening on a Roadster in the parking lot. They are very bright and no warmup time.

I was at the Menlo Park store this morning (for a nail in one of my almost completely worn out rear tire, so I got new tires).
I got confirmation that they are ready to do the upgrades and that the parts are "on their way". I will have mine done during my annual service in a couple of weeks.

Nice. I get mine Monday! Hope they're worth it but sounds like they provide much better light so I'm looking forward to it. I also ordered carbon fiber door sills so that'll compete to look of the car I think.

Some times the little things...

The Rangers are trying to get my Homelink working...a few of the Canadian Roadsters are having this problem...I'm letting them keep the car for the weekend to further the cause / take one for the team so I'll try to get some pics when I get the car back on Monday.

Some times the little things...

The Rangers are trying to get my Homelink working...a few of the Canadian Roadsters are having this problem...I'm letting them keep the car for the weekend to further the cause / take one for the team so I'll try to get some pics when I get the car back on Monday.

Hopefully they'll figure it out. During my last service, Mark tried to replace my Homelink because of problems with my FOBs. He had the same problem - couldn't get the new one to work. Luckily he reprogrammed the new FOBs for the old module, repositioned the antenna, and everything worked great.

Maybe there's supposed to be a different version for Canadian cars, and they forgot to give them different part numbers? The reason I say that is the Canadian cars have an immobilizer feature (required by legislation), but the American cars don't.

Anyway I expect I'll upgrade my lights next time the car is serviced. No rush since I don't winter drive my car.

What a strange concept...

Not if you live where I do. I've posted this picture before...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3550&d=1322879764.jpg

Kinda scary driving a Roadster when the snow banks are over twice the height of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 560
I can't believe no one has posted pics yet!!! :eek:

#350 will have Xenon eyes tomorrow. I'll post pics on Thursday (next time I will be near the car)

These have been in testing for a long time. They were in a VP car all the way back in 2009... I love knowing that due diligence was completed...