Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Life and Charging rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried a little experiment and charged the last two times with my 120V UMC and to my surprise the my ideal miles were up a little from 179 miles to 183. So does anyone know is it better for the batteries to charge them slow? Or is is just a quirk of the software that shows slightly higher numbers after slow charging? Even before the little experiment I have been very pleased to see my ideal miles slowly increase over the past 6 months. I purchased the car used, and have kept a close eye on the battery. Normally I charge at 240V and 30 amp.
Tesla_Range.JPG
I now have about 7000 miles on the car.

I also plotted my standard miles and as you can see that number is highly variable depending upon how I have driven the day before.

Last edited:
It's pretty common to get more ideal miles when charging at lower rates. I don't think it's really any nicer to the battery, it's probably just easier for the car to hit maximum capacity on the battery pack at the lower rate.

RichKae is doing a Roadster battery longevity study to shed some light on this and other issues. If you're curious, consider participating in the study. I'll be releasing a new version of the log parser later today, and will post in that thread when it's available.