Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable settings "Valet" or "Child"-mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FVO

Nov 26, 2011
While considering the reservation of a Model S i was wondering:

Will we be able to adjust the settings depending on the drivers key or putting in a code (like in the current roadster in Valet-mode) to let our children drive the car between certain hours or limited range or a maximum speed or power output (thus acceleration)? To prevent them of showing of to other friends?
In other words will we be able to adjust the settings of a Valet-mode?

I'm hoping we'll see this -- it has been discussed in more than a few threads on the official boards.

As I noted there, and as you imply in your thread title, "Valet" and "Junior Driver" modes are variations on a theme. The limits I'd want to set for the valet are much tighter than those on my kids. The valet should be locked out of all non-safety/operations functions of the center console, have low limits on access to torque, top speed, and range. On my kids, I lock out the web browser while the vehicle is in motion, cap the top speed at 70 mph, and trim back the torque a bit.

But all Tesla needs to do is to offer the ability to have at least two restricted modes with user-configurable presets.

From what I can recall reading it doesn't really even affect the speed and performance of the car. It basically just logs the miles driven and top-speed achieved until you disable Valet mode with a user-customized pin number.
The older Tesla site said this:
Peace of mind while enjoying a dinner or event with valet parking is at your fingertips. With just a few taps on the touch screen, you can limit the power and speed and lock the glove box. While in Valet Mode, the Roadster logs distance traveled, top speed reached, unlock attempts, and number of times the trunk has been opened. Valet Mode can only be deactivated by entering your PIN.
http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/design/security.php

Looking at the 1.0 manual it also mentions power is limited, but there is no reference to a limit to speed. This may have changed in future versions / firmware updates.

But all Tesla needs to do is to offer the ability to have at least two restricted modes with user-configurable presets.

Indeed, as my wife and i tested the Chevy Volt last weekend she got a headache of the fast acceleration(s) :rolleyes:. While the Volt only reaches 100km/h (~62mph) in +/-10 seconds...

So make that at least 3 driving modes: Valet, Teenager and wife-in-car :biggrin:

It definitely needs a valet mode, having driven quite a number of fast cars (some of which I were loaned to me to go on "short errands"), the temptation is there to go for a fast drive when you are just supposed to be using it for some small errands.

For valet mode
I would want the following specs for valet mode

Limit speed to approximately 30 mph
Decreased acceleration time to 0-60 in like 10 seconds
Limit mileage to 10 miles to discourage joy riding

Remember we'll be able to track the car's position and speed in real-time with the smartphone app.

Although a valet mode should still be there, so we don't have to babysit our cars.

[Edit: not that I ever use a valet. I'm one of those reg'lar non-fancy folk.]

regarding Valet mode on the Roadster:

What do you mean, is it that restrictive?

From what I can recall reading it doesn't really even affect the speed and performance of the car. It basically just logs the miles driven and top-speed achieved until you disable Valet mode with a user-customized pin number.

I've been experimenting with Valet Mode in my 2.5 Roadster (mainly because I like switching it on and off using the OVMS) and it's still a pretty amazing amount of fun. If the idea was ever to limit the amount of fun a Valet could have in the car, it is unsuccessful. The power hits 200+ kW and only seems to drop off when your speed reaches 45 mph, and even then it doesn't stop you reaching about 50, as you can see here when I wasn't even trying:

ValetMode.jpg

It does record some data, so I assume the idea is something along the lines of "if the world is watching, you behave yourself". I wish it were configurable or just limited the top speed to about 5 mph for Valet mode, a bit like the OP was saying.

Last edited:
.... If the idea was ever to limit the amount of fun a Valet could have in the car, it is unsuccessful. The power hits 200+ kW and only seems to drop off when your speed reaches 45 mph, and even then it doesn't stop you reaching about 50, as you can see here when I wasn't even trying:

Yeah the Valet mode was always a cool idea that was never implemented very well. Long ago we supposed that that there were concerns that if the Valet driving your car was unable to avoid an accident because the car was speed crippled then Tesla might be blamed.

That said, there were a lot of ideas that where in previous Valet mode conversations/threads that would have still been good for teenagers borrowing the car as well.

Does the S have Valet Mode?

It's assumed it will because the Roadster has one. Not a biggie to me because the last time I used a valet was around 1971. I was actually surprised to hear that there are still valets (other than perhaps at $1000/night hotels).

Here in Chicago, that is sometimes the only way to get to eat dinner at a restaurant in the city - and we're not talking a 5 star restaurant!

There are some instances where a valet parks the car in a parking lot one highway stop away. I don't see a problem with limiting the top speed to 65 mph but cutting the 0-60 time to 10 seconds maybe.

Yep, big-city dwellers are used to valets: no wide-open parking lots at restaurants, clubs, etc. High-end condos also have valet parking.

More than limiting speed, I would ask the Tesla limit power. If the car can do 0-50 in 4.0 seconds, the kids will have their fun. Limit the power to make that 10 seconds, and the car won't be abused as much. (I also might have my 16-yo son drive in Valet mode if implemented this way!)

I'd like see several settings behind a PIN for Valet and Parental Controls. This might not be very easy from a Firmware perspective if they haven't built it with this in mind.

For instance, as an "Administrator" or "Parent" I can setup a PIN so that when any fob is used the car will only operate in a certain way (reduced power, limited top speed, reduced range, no web browsing, reduced sound system audio, no pano access, no suspension setting access, limited HVAC access, no hotspot access). This essentially becomes just another memory setting that touches every aspect of firmware. It's a difficult task as they all get routed through a process that needs to be verified and trusted in the firmware architecture, without causing latency or performance issues. Daunting task if not built with it in mind.

Valet setting would *ONLY* have access to drive the car, audio system would be off, no pano access and would be closed, only access to driver window allowed, suspension would be all the way up, no web browsing, no hotspot access, limited power, limited top speed and limited range, GEOfenced so the car couldn't be driven outside of a 1 mile radius and while in this mode and the car is being driven the usage telemetry would be sent back to my smartphone in realtime. I'm sure there is a patent in there somewhere

Here in Chicago, that is sometimes the only way to get to eat dinner at a restaurant in the city - and we're not talking a 5 star restaurant!

Agree. Chicago is terrible for those who drive into the city for a meal...especially with a baby sitter and kids at home and when you have limited time! I valet every time I go down there for dinner.

Even in the suburbs it can be convenient to valet park, especially if your boss is picking up the tab!

There's got to be some solution to this other than handing over the fob...