Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable settings "Valet" or "Child"-mode

Quote Originally Posted by Discoducky View Post
    Valet setting would *ONLY* have access to drive the car, audio system would be off, no pano access and would be closed, only access to driver window allowed, suspension would be all the way up, no web browsing, no hotspot access, limited power, limited top speed and limited range, GEOfenced so the car couldn't be driven outside of a 1 mile radius and while in this mode and the car is being driven the usage telemetry would be sent back to my smartphone in realtime. I'm sure there is a patent in there somewhere
    You've really thought this one through! I am impressed I would have never thought of some of these limitations, but they're all things I would limit as well now that you mention them. I love the idea of tracking the vehicle.

No need to travel far and fast...lest you end up in this situation:

Name:  42337PMferris bueller.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  33.0 KB
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

@Discoducky

Also...
    - No frunk access.
    - No charge port access.
    - Rear camera recording activated while driver is in the cabin, and for 5 minutes thereafter. But not displayed on either panel. (Don't tip them off.) Additionally, begin recording if the vehicle experiences motion while in Park (i.e. post-collision recording).
    - Same recording for onboard microphone(s).
    - All passenger doors locked.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    You've really thought this one through! I am impressed I would have never thought of some of these limitations, but they're all things I would limit as well now that you mention them. I love the idea of tracking the vehicle.

No need to travel far and fast...lest you end up in this situation:

Name:  42337PMferris bueller.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  33.0 KB
    HA, I was thinking of that very scene in FB's day off! I used to valet cars in my youth so I have first hand knowledge

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Also...
    - No charge port access.
    - All passenger doors locked.
    I disagree with these two:
    - Some hotels provide complimentary EV charging, run by the valet (who jockeys cars around to maximize use of the EVSE).
    - You'll want the valet to be able to open all the doors he brings the car back to you and your party.

Checking to see if Model S is going to have "Valet" feature ? Most of the time i have to hand off my car keys to valet parking at my work.

It's about THIS car. Al Sherman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    It definitely needs a valet mode, having driven quite a number of fast cars (some of which I were loaned to me to go on "short errands"), the temptation is there to go for a fast drive when you are just supposed to be using it for some small errands.

For valet mode
    I would want the following specs for valet mode

Limit speed to approximately 30 mph
    Decreased acceleration time to 0-60 in like 10 seconds
    Limit mileage to 10 miles to discourage joy riding
    10 miles is WAY high for me by about a factor of 10!

Valet should have the screen printout that tells the Valet person how to start the car and that it is in reduce speed mode and they are being recorded.

30 Mph should be 50mph in case freeway speeds are necessary. (paint shop, SFO, detail company) 0 to 60 in 10 sec is perfect. Miles traveled should read out with the limit showing. limit is programable by pin screen owner.

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar
    Some great ideas here...

I like the idea of instructions for the valet on the screen. The UI should also be switched to a "limited mode" that only provides functions a valet would need.

The features I think would be useful are:

1. Disable proximity lock/unlock (must use manual modes only so it's very obvious where the fob is). I think most people with keyless entry have given their cars to a valet, then gotten out and walked away with the key in pocket (I know I have). The Audi I currently drive will allow the car to be driven a certain distance without the key in the vehicle (assuming it's running already). However, it can't be re-started once turned off. So the valet parks the car, then it's stuck in the garage. I would suggest that once "valet mode" is activated, more obvious warnings (indicators/sounds) should come alive to prevent this.
    2. Reduce power output to limit speed. I mean really reduce power output. The best would be a user configurable limit. As vfx mentioned, in certain cases the car may need to be driven a nominal distance on roads with fast moving traffic. Usually it's pretty easy to tell how far the valet is likely to need to go.
    3. Limiting distance might be a bit risky, but why not leave it up to the owner? So the valet drives the car 2 miles and it stops (like "Bait Car"). Then what?
    Metallic Silver P85 Reserved: 3/28/2009, Delivered: 12/21/2012 (1355 days) C.H.A.R.G.E.D.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Treasurer & Co-Founder)

Quote Originally Posted by ClearwaterBchSteve View Post
    ... with fast moving traffic. ...
    Which brings up a new concern. A Valet gets his 6th Model S of the week. For the first time the owner of this car does not set Valet mode. The Valet steps on it to merge with traffic and puts the car in the rear of another because it's so fast.

Don't laugh. It already happened at the first big Tesla drive event.

P445 / VIN 1794 ClearwaterBchSteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Which brings up a new concern. A Valet gets his 6th Model S of the week. For the first time the owner of this car does not set Valet mode. The Valet steps on it to merge with traffic and puts the car in the rear of another because it's so fast.

Don't laugh. It already happened at the first big Tesla drive event.
    I can believe it! The car is fast and so smooth that the speed can be very surprising. We definitely need a valet mode and it should be adjustable. The power control system in the S is obviously sophisticated enough that both power and speed could be independently limited.

I do also like the idea of having a "stored" power/speed limiter like a "parental control". Think volume limit on kid's iPod for example. This way, you loan your car or leave it with somebody to care for and you can "limit" the power - but still have other features like radio, nav, browser active.

This is the best part of having an updatable software driven car with touchscreen interface! The functionality can continually improve. Hopefully the designers at T are considering our ideas.
    Metallic Silver P85 Reserved: 3/28/2009, Delivered: 12/21/2012 (1355 days) C.H.A.R.G.E.D.
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Treasurer & Co-Founder)

Thread Information