Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable settings "Valet" or "Child"-mode

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    [Edit: not that I ever use a valet. I'm one of those reg'lar non-fancy folk.]
    +1. I'll avoid getting into a valet-only situation; I don't see any soul other than my wife and I getting his/her paws on my S!

regarding Valet mode on the Roadster:

Quote Originally Posted by Albern View Post
    What do you mean, is it that restrictive?
    Quote Originally Posted by PopSmith View Post
    From what I can recall reading it doesn't really even affect the speed and performance of the car. It basically just logs the miles driven and top-speed achieved until you disable Valet mode with a user-customized pin number.
    I've been experimenting with Valet Mode in my 2.5 Roadster (mainly because I like switching it on and off using the OVMS) and it's still a pretty amazing amount of fun. If the idea was ever to limit the amount of fun a Valet could have in the car, it is unsuccessful. The power hits 200+ kW and only seems to drop off when your speed reaches 45 mph, and even then it doesn't stop you reaching about 50, as you can see here when I wasn't even trying:

Name:  ValetMode.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  1.11 MB

It does record some data, so I assume the idea is something along the lines of "if the world is watching, you behave yourself". I wish it were configurable or just limited the top speed to about 5 mph for Valet mode, a bit like the OP was saying.
    Last edited by Slackjaw; 2012-07-27 at 01:09 PM. Reason: linked to OVMS
    Roadster 2.5 #1329 | Obsidian Black with "oooh! Shiny Wheels!" | Central NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Slackjaw View Post
    .... If the idea was ever to limit the amount of fun a Valet could have in the car, it is unsuccessful. The power hits 200+ kW and only seems to drop off when your speed reaches 45 mph, and even then it doesn't stop you reaching about 50, as you can see here when I wasn't even trying:
    Yeah the Valet mode was always a cool idea that was never implemented very well. Long ago we supposed that that there were concerns that if the Valet driving your car was unable to avoid an accident because the car was speed crippled then Tesla might be blamed.

That said, there were a lot of ideas that where in previous Valet mode conversations/threads that would have still been good for teenagers borrowing the car as well.

Does the S have Valet Mode?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Does the S have Valet Mode?
    It's assumed it will because the Roadster has one. Not a biggie to me because the last time I used a valet was around 1971. I was actually surprised to hear that there are still valets (other than perhaps at $1000/night hotels).
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

delivery 2/7
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    It's assumed it will because the Roadster has one. Not a biggie to me because the last time I used a valet was around 1971. I was actually surprised to hear that there are still valets (other than perhaps at $1000/night hotels).
    Here in Chicago, that is sometimes the only way to get to eat dinner at a restaurant in the city - and we're not talking a 5 star restaurant!

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    There are some instances where a valet parks the car in a parking lot one highway stop away. I don't see a problem with limiting the top speed to 65 mph but cutting the 0-60 time to 10 seconds maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by gg_wants_a_tesla View Post
    +1. I'll avoid getting into a valet-only situation; I don't see any soul other than my wife and I getting his/her paws on my S!
    I wish! I valet everyday at work and mostly to dinner and I'm not looking forward to explaining how to operate it twice a day.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Yep, big-city dwellers are used to valets: no wide-open parking lots at restaurants, clubs, etc. High-end condos also have valet parking.

More than limiting speed, I would ask the Tesla limit power. If the car can do 0-50 in 4.0 seconds, the kids will have their fun. Limit the power to make that 10 seconds, and the car won't be abused as much. (I also might have my 16-yo son drive in Valet mode if implemented this way!)

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar

Icon6

I'd like see several settings behind a PIN for Valet and Parental Controls. This might not be very easy from a Firmware perspective if they haven't built it with this in mind.

For instance, as an "Administrator" or "Parent" I can setup a PIN so that when any fob is used the car will only operate in a certain way (reduced power, limited top speed, reduced range, no web browsing, reduced sound system audio, no pano access, no suspension setting access, limited HVAC access, no hotspot access). This essentially becomes just another memory setting that touches every aspect of firmware. It's a difficult task as they all get routed through a process that needs to be verified and trusted in the firmware architecture, without causing latency or performance issues. Daunting task if not built with it in mind.

Valet setting would *ONLY* have access to drive the car, audio system would be off, no pano access and would be closed, only access to driver window allowed, suspension would be all the way up, no web browsing, no hotspot access, limited power, limited top speed and limited range, GEOfenced so the car couldn't be driven outside of a 1 mile radius and while in this mode and the car is being driven the usage telemetry would be sent back to my smartphone in realtime. I'm sure there is a patent in there somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by kcveins View Post
    Here in Chicago, that is sometimes the only way to get to eat dinner at a restaurant in the city - and we're not talking a 5 star restaurant!
    Agree. Chicago is terrible for those who drive into the city for a meal...especially with a baby sitter and kids at home and when you have limited time! I valet every time I go down there for dinner.

Even in the suburbs it can be convenient to valet park, especially if your boss is picking up the tab!

There's got to be some solution to this other than handing over the fob...
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

Thread Information