Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable settings "Valet" or "Child"-mode

Icon5 Adjustable settings "Valet" or "Child"-mode

While considering the reservation of a Model S i was wondering:

Will we be able to adjust the settings depending on the drivers key or putting in a code (like in the current roadster in Valet-mode) to let our children drive the car between certain hours or limited range or a maximum speed or power output (thus acceleration)? To prevent them of showing of to other friends?
    In other words will we be able to adjust the settings of a Valet-mode?

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    I'm hoping we'll see this -- it has been discussed in more than a few threads on the official boards.

As I noted there, and as you imply in your thread title, "Valet" and "Junior Driver" modes are variations on a theme. The limits I'd want to set for the valet are much tighter than those on my kids. The valet should be locked out of all non-safety/operations functions of the center console, have low limits on access to torque, top speed, and range. On my kids, I lock out the web browser while the vehicle is in motion, cap the top speed at 70 mph, and trim back the torque a bit.

But all Tesla needs to do is to offer the ability to have at least two restricted modes with user-configurable presets.

The Valet Mode on the Roadster is nothing like anyone would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    The Valet Mode on the Roadster is nothing like anyone would imagine.
    What do you mean, is it that restrictive?

Saving up for a Model S
    Quote Originally Posted by Albern View Post
    What do you mean, is it that restrictive?
    From what I can recall reading it doesn't really even affect the speed and performance of the car. It basically just logs the miles driven and top-speed achieved until you disable Valet mode with a user-customized pin number.
    CJ Barlow

"Until we see every car on the road being electric, we will not stop." - Elon Musk

Quote Originally Posted by PopSmith View Post
    From what I can recall reading it doesn't really even affect the speed and performance of the car. It basically just logs the miles driven and top-speed achieved until you disable Valet mode with a user-customized pin number.
    The older Tesla site said this:
    Peace of mind while enjoying a dinner or event with valet parking is at your fingertips. With just a few taps on the touch screen, you can limit the power and speed and lock the glove box. While in Valet Mode, the Roadster logs distance traveled, top speed reached, unlock attempts, and number of times the trunk has been opened. Valet Mode can only be deactivated by entering your PIN.
    http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/design/security.php

Looking at the 1.0 manual it also mentions power is limited, but there is no reference to a limit to speed. This may have changed in future versions / firmware updates.
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    But all Tesla needs to do is to offer the ability to have at least two restricted modes with user-configurable presets.
    Yep, with presets, like "valet", "fuel saver" etc. Simple solution -- well, in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Indeed, as my wife and i tested the Chevy Volt last weekend she got a headache of the fast acceleration(s) . While the Volt only reaches 100km/h (~62mph) in +/-10 seconds...

So make that at least 3 driving modes: Valet, Teenager and wife-in-car

It definitely needs a valet mode, having driven quite a number of fast cars (some of which I were loaned to me to go on "short errands"), the temptation is there to go for a fast drive when you are just supposed to be using it for some small errands.

For valet mode
    I would want the following specs for valet mode

Limit speed to approximately 30 mph
    Decreased acceleration time to 0-60 in like 10 seconds
    Limit mileage to 10 miles to discourage joy riding

Pistons are unnecessary. Todd Burch's Avatar
    Remember we'll be able to track the car's position and speed in real-time with the smartphone app.

Although a valet mode should still be there, so we don't have to babysit our cars.

[Edit: not that I ever use a valet. I'm one of those reg'lar non-fancy folk.]

Thread Information