Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. DoE loan creates 100's of jobs @ Fremont, CA plant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hundreds of jobs will be coming to the Tesla plant in Fremont | abc7news.com
[video] Hundreds of jobs coming to Tesla plant in Fremont
Terry McSweeney 11/22/2011
[video flash]
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- Hundreds of jobs will open up at the Tesla auto manufacturing plant at the beginning of next year thanks to a half billion dollar loan from the U.S. Energy Department.

Mario Mendez spent 19 years assembling cars at the defunct NUMMI plant in Fremont. Today, he spent part of the morning brushing up his resume to go back to work at the old plant, though not at the old wages.

"Before I was looking for a higher paying job and now I have been dropping the standard a little bit. And I have been dropping resumes all over the place and not being picky," said sob seeker Mario Mendez.

The lowest paid workers at the NUMMI plant made about $30 an hour. Tesla non union jobs start at $12 an hour. Like Mario, most of the folks coming in to the NUMMI reemployment center are former NUMMI workers with years of experience making cars. It resumes they need help with.

"We are actually applying to Tesla, creating a profile, getting a username and password ready for them to upload their resumes so they can basically be proactive, be ready, that when those positions open up, they will be able to apply," said NUMMI Reemployment Center's Sal Lopez.

Hiring at Tesla is all made possible by a $465 million Energy Department loan that came through last week, so electric car builder Tesla can make more of its next generation Model S which will sell for about $45,000 with a $7,500 tax credit.

To this point, Tesla has produced the high end Tesla roadster which costs twice as much. But don't compare this loan to the infamous loan to Solyndra just up I-880, at least just don't do it around Sal Lopez.

"I think the difference is that they do have some orders already in. I think they have their production already full for a year or so which means the clients have already ordered that car, whatever model that may be. But they already have sold it, it's only a matter of building it and demand," said Lopez.
[©2011 KGO-TV/DT All Rights Reserved]

Electric Vehicle Discussion List - Search for 'evln'

All EVLN posts

{brucedp.150m.com}

To give truth the honor, the re-employment of former NUMMI workers is not "all made possible by loan", but only part of it. To qualify for the loan, Tesla had to prove they can bring Model S into production on their own means. But without the loan, Tesla might have picked another site for its factory.

To give truth the honor, the re-employment of former NUMMI workers is not "all made possible by loan", but only part of it. To qualify for the loan, Tesla had to prove they can bring Model S into production on their own means. But without the loan, Tesla might have picked another site for its factory.

Very true, but at least it's a positive spin on the loans (or "bailouts") for a change. Got a little dig in there on the wages though. I wonder if that's Tesla's next battle? "OUR GOVERNMENT PAID YOU, AND YOU GIVE US PEANUTS?!?!". Last thing Tesla needs is a Union-battle right now.

I thought the loan was for their power train business, not the Model S.

I think it is both.

http://www.oncars.com/news-blogs/story/511/Tesla-Gets-DoE-Loan-A-$465m-shot-in-the-battery
...The Silicon Valley electric car builder will use the funds to complete development of its Model S sedan and electric power trains being licensed to other auto manufacturers...

The quote above [in the original post] doesn't match the content which I see at the linked location.

Compared to the referenced article, the text quote above seems to contain several errors and/or misleading statements.

The linked article and video say the starting pay is $16 + benefits + stock plan. However some former NUMMI worker is quoted who *thinks* the starting pay would be $12 or $13. He says that his previous pay was $30, but that doesn't mean that $30 used to be the minimum, or even that he would now get less than that.

Then, there isn't any "$465 million Energy Department loan that came through last week" as of Nov 2011, at all. This is all wrong, and not part of the linked article.

Where does that quoted text come from?

Last edited:
It seems the report by Terry McSweeney was replaced with a report by David Louie, on the ABC website. When I search for text in the OP quote, I get a Google screenshot of the old version, but when I click "cached", I already get the new version.

Last edited:
You are right, it has changed. I pride myself in taking a snap shot of the newswire at the time, and purposely include the URL for the record.

Wow, the changes are radical, and the page does not state that it has been revised. Well, the text I included was the way it was when I posted it.

I could post it the way it is now, but who knows it could change again. Here is the URL if you want to see the newly revised page (its the same URL address)
Hundreds of jobs will be coming to the Tesla plant in Fremont | abc7news.com

{brucedp.150m.com}