Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Sport performance version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we're waiting for more info from the big T, I thought to pass some time discussing the new Sport version.

As I said in other threads, I'm expecting to pay up to $110k (pre-rebate) for a Signature Sport including Panorama roof, extended warranty and possibly the second charger. Of course I'm hoping it will be less. I think the least expensive a non-Sig sport could possibly be would be $90k and the least expensive a Sig Sport (without addl. options) would be $100k.

Elon has said the 0-60 time will be 4.4secs. Comparing 0-60 times with ICE vehicles is frustrating. Some of them get their times only by using special computerized "launch" procedures and/or very skilled drivers maxing out the RPMs, something most of us won't be doing while driving around town.

The biggest reaction I got while driving the Roadster Sport was from a friend who owns a Porsche 911. While we were going around 25mph or so, I floored it and really impressed him with the acceleration. I think we should get a very similar experience with the Model S Sport, especially given it's large size and weight. I think the electric torque will have even more of an impact than it did with the Roadster. When people are driving/riding a Roadster, they're expecting great acceleration. Put them in a 5-door sedan and kick in some of that torque and I think a lot of people are going to be very impressed!

Badging. Some of the discussions going on at Tesla are concerning the types of badging that the Sport is going to have. AMG adds special fins, aerodynamic scoops, and lettering to their cars to make the AMG enhanced cars stand out. Personally, I wouldn't mind some tasteful doo-dads to provide some flair. But I wouldn't mind a bit if all they had were the letters "Sport" added to the back of the car.

Agreed Mycroft. I was a cheerleader for a low 5's or high 4's sport model. As others pointed out, even with those numbers on paper, it would likely feel even better due to the linear performance. I was surprised and delighted to hear sub 4.5s! I'm expecting mid 90's to mid 100's for the pricing (sig, sport, roof), and happy to pay that. It's only about a half second longer than my current sportcar (not a roadster), but in a fully-functional sedan. I'm hoping it'll have the performance/handling to match as well.

As for badging, I'd like to see "Signature Sport", and perhaps some slight differentiators (tinted lights, slight body tweaks maybe?). I'd also like it if the suspension's default position was slightly lower and more aggressive.

My suggestion was to have a more of a depression for your rear in the back seats to prevent you from sliding back and forth so much.
imagesCA9AYCYX.jpg

Like this only with a 3rd middle seat.

I'm close to putting down a deposit and it will be for the Sport version. I'm budgeting up to $120k and just waiting for hopefully an AWD version that I assume will come out during or just after Model X. Fingers crossed it will be with the V1.5 or 2.0 improvements. I don't have much need for that much trunk space, I just want performance. As it was mentioned for the second row of seats, do away with the bench and replace it with 2 or 3 individual / bucket seats.

I was thinking too, what about putting on light weight wheels for even better handling and acceleration. Something like the Enkei RP-F1s.