Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renewables in jepardy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's disgusting. . .

And yet, my take on this is probably different from most people. I don't care about subsidies or incentives for wind and solar power. Wind power isn't scalable to solve our energy problems. Solar may actually be a useful supplement, eventually, if the costs can be reduced enough, but even solar has some pretty serious shortcomings (such as no continuous baseload generation).

What I'd like to see is a repeal of all those massive subsidies that the fossil fuel industries enjoy. Big oil, big gas, and big coal should be taxed to compensate for the damage they cause, not given lavish hand-outs. If we even had a level playing field, then clean energy could make a lot of progress.

Your traditional energy bill in Congress contains hundreds of millions -- sometimes billions -- in subsidies for oil, gas and coal. Greenies are typically satisfied when they get a couple million tossed at their pet research project to power an experimental organic farm off pig farts. Now they're whining because they aren't even getting those bread crumbs.

In the bigger picture it makes zero difference whether they get a few bread crumbs for wind and solar. Wind and solar are already getting plenty of private investment.

Here's my prescription for an energy bill. . .

1. Repeal all subsidies for oil, gas and coal.
2. Charge a modest "carbon tax" on oil, gas and coal.
3. Charge a depletion tax and import tariff on oil.
4. Put new nuclear plants on a fast track to construction.
5. Put some research money into geothermal and nuclear fusion.

As far as I can see, nothing resembling any of these points is even being considered in the Congress. It's business as usual, with more handouts to big oil and big coal.

Tony,

On points 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I agree completely.

And you said, "Your traditional energy bill in Congress contains hundreds of millions -- sometimes billions -- in subsidies for oil, gas and coal. Greenies are typically satisfied when they get a couple million tossed at their pet research project to power an experimental organic farm off pig farts. Now they're whining because they aren't even getting those bread crumbs."

That's why they call it politics. It's the old case of rejecting the good while waiting for the perfect (bill).

Our entire administration is headed up by oil executives. You can't take anything away from them while they are running the show. The best you can do is not give them more and ask for some to share.
The Senator holding up the bill is from Texas. Read Kay Bailey Hutchison's quotes here: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/110707dnbuswindpower.3339828.html She is looking out for oil interests and it only takes one Sen. to stop forward motion on a bill.

The oilys are making record profits and they will probably not let anything go to renewably evergy unless they get to drill in parks and protected lands. That's disgusting.

And on the subject of scalability why not think of the individual? Solar on rooftops (mine is south facing) and small wind is scale independent. Again, you have to start somewhere!

Pelosi's offices number is 202- 225-4965 Call today.

More links:

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/11/8/214056/515
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/toby-barlow/news-alert-if-you-love-r_b_71888.html