Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

World's Fastest Production Sedans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where does the performance Model S sit with regards to the world's fastest stock production sedans? (By fastest I of course mean 0-60 times, not top speed).

From what I can see in various online articles, the Model S seems to be around #5-10.

Cadillac CTS-V is the fastest @3.9s, I believe.
BMW M5 @4.1s
Mercedes CLS63 AMG @4.3s

What else beats 4.4s?

Last edited:
Mitsubishi Evo
Which one?

The 2004-2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR FQ400 had a 0-60 of 3.5s...how many of those were made? Enough to be considered a production car?

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR FQ400 0-60 Time is 3.5s, but from what I can see only 100 were planned.

The rest of the evos I can find exceed 4.4s.

How many cars need to be made to be considered a "production" car?...or is # produced even a metric?

according to the FIA here are the numbers for rally car homologation. so I guess that would be the defacto production run to call a model a "production" car

"In order for a vehicle to be able to take part in FIA approved races it has to be produced to a minimum number of units by its manufacturer, 5000 for the GroupN class, 2500 for the GroupA class and 200 for the now extinct GroupB"

for the WRC cars homologation runs are no longer required.......

Last edited:
Which one?

The 2004-2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR FQ400 had a 0-60 of 3.5s...how many of those were made? Enough to be considered a production car?

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR FQ400 0-60 Time is 3.5s, but from what I can see only 100 were planned.

The rest of the evos I can find exceed 4.4s.

How many cars need to be made to be considered a "production" car?...or is # produced even a metric?
No, i wasn't talking about a fq400. A regular evo IX or X will beat a 4.4 0-60 or at least match it. Those cars are AWD so it isn't hard for an average driver to duplicate good 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

As far as any other sedan, unless you are at a sticky drag strip, there is little to no chance of getting the advertised times.

As far as any other sedan, unless you are at a sticky drag strip, there is little to no chance of getting the advertised times.

Whereas the Model S should have the same high-quality traction control as the Roadster (if not better, if that is possible), so shouldn't we expect that you can get the advertised numbers (or very close) ?

Whereas the Model S should have the same high-quality traction control as the Roadster (if not better, if that is possible), so shouldn't we expect that you can get the advertised numbers (or very close) ?

So, all the ICE cars listed above have "launch control" to achieve those numbers, it appears. Would that be needed in the Model S? Atleast in the Sport version?

The 2010 Panamera Turbo hits 0-60 in just 3.3 (!) according to Car and Driver's testing (pdf here). Porsche's numbers are 4 seconds for the 2012 Turbo. Of course, at $136K to start that variant also costs about as much as a (new) Roadster Sport.

Porsche says the base Panamera hits 60 in 6 seconds but it's probably closer to 5.5. Starting price is $75K.

So, all the ICE cars listed above have "launch control" to achieve those numbers, it appears. Would that be needed in the Model S? Atleast in the Sport version?
No.

Launch control in ICE vehicle means revving the engine up to the max tourqe RPMs and control slipping of the clutch so that it transfers maximum amount of torque without stalling the engine or burning tires. Because of heavy slipping, clutch only survives a few such maneuvers and then needs to be replaced.

Model S' launch control comes standard i.e. traction control. Controller needs to only worry about tires. Any grandma can do it many many times.

The new bmw m5 does 0-62 in 4.4 FWIW.

So where does the performance Model S sit with regards to the world's fastest stock production sedans? (By fastest I of course mean 0-60 times, not top speed).

From what I can see in various online articles, the Model S seems to be around #5-10.

Cadillac CTS-V is the fastest @3.9s, I believe.
BMW M5 @4.1s
Mercedes CLS63 AMG @4.3s

What else beats 4.4s?

Not sure how accurate they are but here is a good list to get you started.

0-60 Times | 0 to 60 MPH and Quarter Mile times including Fast Sports Car, Muscle Car, Luxury Car and 2011 Cars 0-60 Times performance stats!

2011 Aston Martin Rapide 0-60 mph 5.0
2009 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S 0-60 mph 5.1
2009 Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed 0-60 mph 4.4
2012 Audi A7 3.0T Quattro 0-60 mph 5.2
2011 Audi A8 0-60 mph 5.1
2008 Audi RS6 0-60 mph 4.4
2010 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan (6-Speed Manual) 0-60 mph 3.9
2010 Range Rover Sport (5.0L,Supercharged) 0-60 mph 5.8
2011 Jaguar XJ Supersport 0-60 mph 4.0 Quarter Mile 12.2
2011 Jaguar XFR 0-60 mph 4.4
2010 Ford Taurus SHO 0-60 mph 5.2
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 0-60 mph 4.9
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Touring 0-60 mph 5.2
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI tS Sedan 0-60 mph 4.8

CTS-V it is by a land slide!

Apples to apples, I'm going off of advertised times.

Looks like the 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is 0-60 in about 5.0 sec.
Advertised by who? You cannot do an apples to apples comparison in this case. Some manufacturers don't state realistic times for insurance reasons.

The bottomline is that the Model S Sport will be very hard to beat on the street in a 0-60 race by another sedan. The german cars listed with exceptional 0-60 times are only a dream. In real life, on the street they would get killed. That's why I brough up the evo. AWD in a turbo car is going to be tough to compete against. Also with the evo a $50 boost controller and you have a 12 second car(1/4 mile). There aren't many stock ones running around....