Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What have you Smoked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Who: Wealthy couple
What: Bentley coupe
Where: Palm Springs
How: Three car lengths at 55 mph
When: Nov 2011

bentley_continental_gt_diamond_series.jpg

Try to get a cell phone pic for this thread!

I smoked a sport bike. Shouldn't have been able to. I was waiting at a light and he comes up beside me and starts revving his engine. I hit the throttle as usual when the light went green, and he must have been so surprised to see me launch without a whisper that he stalled his bike! :biggrin:

Shortly after I leveled out (above the speed limit but not enough to attract a cop), he passed me going at least 200 kph. Must have had quite the testosterone surge. At 130 kph they would have impounded his bike if they caught him...

Who: Someone from Atlanta
What: 2012 Ferrari California (with temporary tags)
Where: Atlanta, Georgia | GA-400/Lenox RD on-ramp headed northbound
How: He was entering the on-ramp from the west, me from the east. He had a 2 car lead, traveling at 35 MPH. Poor guy didn't know what hit him as the silent Tesla zipped by.
When: 7 November 2012 @ 9:45 AM

ferraricalifornia-r_dsc_1641_450.jpg

Who: Someone from Texas
What: Some oversize SUV
Where: Eastbound US 64 in the mountains between Taos, NM and Angle Fire, NM
When: April 2011
How: Had to wait for a legal passing zone on the two lane road (speed limit 30-45), He was doing 60+, I swung into the left lane and "hit it". For some reason it appeared he was trying to stay with me.:rolleyes: After the third turn I couldn't see him in my rear view mirror. :biggrin:

Who: Punk kid
What: Tuned Turbo Corvette (obviously didn't know how to drive it)
Where: Airport Road (McKinney, Tx)
When: April 2011
How: Stopped at a light, he was revving majorly. I pulled up beside him. locked eyes, pointed down the road. gave the nod. light turned green. looked in my rearview and saw he was a ways back.

Who: Cocky Mustang owner
What: Mustang GT500
Where: Top Gear Test Track, UK. Seriously ! Google-Earth = 51° 6'51.31"N, 0°32'46.84"W
When: 14th May 2011
How: Sneaked up behind him as he braked and wallowed his way through 'Hammerhead' then shot past him on way up to 'Chicago' at over 100mph, and continued to pull away from then on. In a Tesla 2.5 Sport :smile:

There were two Tesla 2.5 Sports there on the day, one Twilight Blue with ugly side decal, one Very Orange. Plus an assortment of the usual loud suspects, like various Vipers, Mustangs, 911's, one Enzo, handful of 430's, a Nissan GTRs, assorted Lambo's and so forth.

(Pics from a mobile phone ...)

Dunsfold12.jpg

Dunsfold6blueTesla.jpg

dunsfold22.jpg

Dunsfold2.jpg

Dunsfold5.jpg

Last edited:
Did you run out after 55 miles?

I think I know who owns the Mustang...

Anyway.

Who: Lots, but I'll choose the Ali G type.
What: BMW M3
Where: M4 heading out of London
When: March 2010
How: Travelling out of town on the elevated two lane section, an M3 was right on my a$$. The speed limit was 40mph and I was roughly sticking to it, and I had traffic in front of me. After a mile the road opens up to 3 lanes and becomes de-restricted. The M3 went to pull out but I hit the warp drive. I looked back after 5 seconds and he was a spec in my mirrors. He caught me up as I slowed down to leave the road 10 miles later, but steadfastly stared ahead and refused to acknowledge me :biggrin:

I'm sure Kevin'll be along to talk about the Elise soon...

Did you run out after 55 miles?

HAH !! Nope.

That car went from central London, down to the Top Gear Track, did dozens of full-on 200kw demo laps, and then went home without once charging up anywhere … In total about 130 miles. The demo runs were 2 laps each, and no overheating observed.

I've kinda lost a lot of faith in the whole TG franchise since their EV prejudice has become so blatant towards Tesla, and more recently the Nissan Leaf they set up to fail.

Who: Lots, but I'll choose the Ali G type.
What: BMW M3
Where: M4 heading out of London
When: March 2010
How: Travelling out of town on the elevated two lane section, an M3 was right on my a$$. The speed limit was 40mph and I was roughly sticking to it, and I had traffic in front of me. After a mile the road opens up to 3 lanes and becomes de-restricted. The M3 went to pull out but I hit the warp drive. I looked back after 5 seconds and he was a spec in my mirrors. He caught me up as I slowed down to leave the road 10 miles later, but steadfastly stared ahead and refused to acknowledge me :biggrin:

... yeah, what is it with BMW drivers? I can think of dozens of times in the past 2 decades where I've gone past a BM driver in something exotic (typically, a road-legal Group B rally car I used to have fun in) and noticed that the driver is pretending to not really be going flat out at 123.6mph, steadfastly staring straight ahead, perhaps nonchalantly resting an elbow on the window, or having a pretend mobile phone conversation with themselves … whereas in fact their eyeballs are swivelled so far to the right that they risk becoming cross eyed …

Haha low blow spred!
I'll elaborate: He saw me coming from the other direction and beat me to the onramp (2 on-ramp lanes merge to one before entering northbound 4 lanes). It's almost a 90 degree turn for me and you might be able to take it at 20 MPH. The Ferrari's path was more of an arch and if done right, you can take it at 50 MPH. I was behind him long enough to see the temp tag before I zoomed past him.

.. such irony to be smoking people on the Top Gear track! How poetic!

yeah, it was kinda sweet !

At the start of the day there were allot of daft comments how the world was going to end when 55 miles had elapsed, but funnily enough the car was still going strong late afternoon before leaving.

One wisearse asked where the flux capacitor was, and why hadn't the car disappeared in a puff of smoke at 87mph ...

i smoked a 350ps renault alpine with 350ps, tuned for uphill-races.

Die Unterlegenheit der Benziner wurde auch bei den Stechen gegeneinander deutlich. Einmal konnte zwar der Porsche des M-E-NES-Vorsitzenden Hubert Büchs fast einem Tesla Paroli bieten, musste sich aber doch knapp geschlagen geben. Lediglich der auf 350 PS getunte Renault Alpine von Axel Ress konnte bis ins Finale vordringen. Allerdings profitierte er vom Ausfall des Selbstbaus der Bayreuther Studenten.

Aufs oberste Treppchen kam schließlich der lautlose Sportflitzer von Eberhard Meyer, hinter dem der röhrende und aus dem Auspuff Feuer speiende Alpine des Bergrennfahrers aus Wülfershausen das Nachsehen hatte. Platz drei wiederum ein über 100 000 Euro teurer Tesla, gefahren vom Würzburger Constantin Wehrlik.