Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY RC Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally had time to start working on my Model S this weekend. It drives pretty well even though I had to reduce the amount of rear suspension to get the extra 30mm length for the rc chassis to fit. Amazingly it fits and should only need little tweaks and some improved rear suspension I'm working on some different wheels and have some chrome detailing to do to the S shell & windows/lights to add soon. I think I'll leave the Signature red 'primer' color so I can make it glow w/ leds

IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2740.JPG

It was my first thought when I saw the little S shells coming out of the injection molding machine. RC car, perfect! electric / low CG and probably better acceleration and handling at scale than the Sport will have.

Now I can drive this one until the big one arrives ;>

Last edited:
Charge port hasn't been installed - yet. I just got a set of Chrome wheels last night which make it look much better (They still look like 16"s to scale but I haven't found anything 19 to 21" that can fit to the rear axle. I was planning on switching the nimh w/ some spare flat lipos and then I will put the charge port where it belongs, add headlights / tail lights and some bling. I keep thinking maybe I should have done the black shell instead, or the clear/ black one from the transition period between the switching of the plastic colors - it is awesome and almost gives the shell a shadowing effect with the left over black plastic ( I will make another I am willing to sell for a mere $35k cough, cough, upgrade ;P)

The range ... it runs for ~ 1hr full out... if the dog doesn't catch it ;> I still need to do a scale speed check to see how fast it actually is. I think something like 0-60 in about 2s and maybe better than 1g skidpad, the car weighs about 5000lb to scale but most of the weigh is the batteries & motor (kind of like the Teslas)

I'm Still not sure if I should cut out windows or just decal(fake) it. I'm thinking the cut out would look best if I can do It right but I need to scrounge up some good plastic material

Will definitely post a few more pics soon. Hell, I have till September or so to play ....and then the rest of my life ; ) to play more

Scott

I hope so - I feel huge when I try to get in this one!
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG

new wheels and office shrine

So with some quick calculations, I came to a 0-60 time~ 0.5 seconds! and a range of 245 miles (based on a 1:24 scale which is what the shell measures compared to the bumper to bumper spec from the wall diagram at the factory) I think it may be a little faster but I haven't actually used a stopwatch and tape yet, these are based on kitchen tiles for distance and ..one one thousand, two one thousand.... I will definitely post a video someday, when it gets some more work done and the dog agrees to chasing it with a camera

Windows & Lights

IMG_2781.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG
IMG_2787.JPG

Added some limo window tint - much easier than cutout windows.
Lights have a 3d motion sensor so brakes light brighter when decelerating. There are some pretty nifty gadgets around these days.

I though the injection molded plastic was stronger / indestructible but I was wrong. While doing laps around the kitchen I hit the cutting board one too many times or just too fast head on and cracked/split the front bumper across the middle. Epoxied it up and its good to go, but you can see the clear epoxy under the front right with the lights on. I threw the lights on pretty quick and will add detail and make some recessed silver led holders or something so the light doesn't come out of the underside of the car and the look more like the real ones.

I'm thinking I might do all of the chrome w/ silver and just polish it up and wax it since I'm not going for the fastest RC and the shell is already heavy + having a 100J Laser Welder just makes me want to do something more for this baby. Emblems in gold maybe?

The car has been speed tested and is unreasonable. It is 7000 Lb equivalent (will be lighter w/ a lower COG when I put lipos in next week)
on glazed ceramic tile w/ pretty sticky rubber tires
0-35 mph ~ 0.5 s
0-60 mph ~ 0.8 s (@ 75 ft)
0-100 mph ~ 2.0 s (@ 260 ft)

top Speed > 200 mph (kitchen limited)

Horizontal acceleration tested on a 30 inch circle ~ 0.91 g ( my dog hates this test)

I got rid of the 'ski rack' attachment points and added magnets for the shell attachment - they work awesome and the shell s on tight. I can roll the car at high speed and the shell stays on!

IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG

And it is MUCH faster w/ the Lithium cells that I replaced the aaa's with, and lighter too! I think all of my numbers I measured are garbage now - Performance Model S!

I didn't go with any metal trim on this (tried to paint trim ...with an unsteady hand and no magnifier, damn small trim areas) since I've cracked the shell in a couple of spots (see in picture :( ) I'm thinking about using my black shell to make another. But from scratch this time. This red one is kind of like the roadster. Rolling body, modified extensively. I have an idea to make a mold of the shell so I can make a carbon fiber version, the plastic is just too heavy, and weak. I will do the frame out of welded stainless rods or titanium and aluminum sheet to keep the COG low and use flat lipos and lay it out as close to the S as I can on the inside, but add 4 wheel drive so it can drift perhaps ;>

fun times

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 545
  • IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 508
  • IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2870.JPG