Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MC240 charger for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my recently purchased 2.0 roadster came with an MC240 (240V 30A) charger with NEMA 14-50 plug (the north america standard dryer and RV plug):

[SOLD]

CIMG0057.jpg
CIMG0060.jpg
CIMG0058.jpg
CIMG0061.jpg

universal_chargetimes.jpg

based on the history of the car, i am fairly certain this charger is basically unused.

i already have a 120V mobile connector and the J1772 adapter and an HPC installed at my house, so i'd like to sell this MPC240.

i don't know how much this might be worth. make me an offer (or if you happen to have an idea/opinion of the value, i'd love to hear from you as well.)

thanks!

Last edited:
Some (all?) versions of the early MC240 don't work with some newer firmware:
When I got a firmware upgrade during my second 12month/12000mile service (early 2.0 Sport model), my old MC240 was no longer compatible with my car. Tesla swapped with me to give me the then current mobile 240V option. I think it was still called an MC240, but instead of the box it has a "bump" similar in size and shape to the UMC (I don't think it's a UMC).

You might want to check: if your MC240 won't work with your car, you might be able to get them to swap your MC240 for a UMC, or at least give you a reasonable amount in trade for the useless MC240 against a UMC.

It may be worth the effort to try your cable in a RV park to see if it will charge your car. Doing this pointed me toward discovery that my NEMA 14-50 socket was not installed correctly. My problem was that the ground socket of the plug was not connected. The Tesla connector checks to be sure that the ground socket is actually connected, even though many other electrical devices do not check for or require the ground to be connected.

When I got a firmware upgrade during my second 12month/12000mile service (early 2.0 Sport model), my old MC240 was no longer compatible with my car. Tesla swapped with me to give me the then current mobile 240V option. I think it was still called an MC240, but instead of the box it has a "bump" similar in size and shape to the UMC (I don't think it's a UMC).

You might want to check: if your MC240 won't work with your car, you might be able to get them to swap your MC240 for a UMC, or at least give you a reasonable amount in trade for the useless MC240 against a UMC.

tesla verified that this version of the MC240 would not work with my new firmware. they offered to "rework" this MC240 so it would be compatible with current firmware. i would like to see if they are willing to swap for a UMC.

tesla was unwilling to swap my MC240 for a UMC or give any trade amount at all towards a UMC. i am consistently finding that my experience of tesla service seems less exciting that what others have reported. i am suspecting that the earliest adopters got great service but that tesla is quickly gravitating towards more typical (unexciting) car dealer/manufacturer attitude and levels of service. disappointing but i guess not surprising.

Does that MC240 work with your car? Is your car still under warranty?

the car is under warranty. tesla says that the charger as is will not work with my car's updated firmware but that they are going to give me a "reworked" MC240 that is compatible with the newer firmware (but that they would not exchange or offer any trade-up value against a UMC.) i shouldn't complain. it is what it is.

the car is under warranty. tesla says that the charger as is will not work with my car's updated firmware but that they are going to give me a "reworked" MC240 that is compatible with the newer firmware (but that they would not exchange or offer any trade-up value against a UMC.) i shouldn't complain. it is what it is.

Sounds like essentially what they did for me. I believe that it happened to me shortly before the UMCs were available and I asked about them but was told that they weren't available yet.

i apologize to the folks who contacted me in the fall about this cable. it took a while for tesla service to upgrade my original MC240 and then i waited until my recent service to pick it up rather than have them ship it all of 30 miles.

i am still interested in selling it. price is $750 + actuall shipping costs (from san francisco).

here are photos of the new/remanufactured MC240 i got from tesla:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4297&d=1329334372.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=4296&d=1329334361.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=4298&d=1329334380.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg
IMG_8555.jpg
IMG_8553.jpg