Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Advanced Engineering on Plan - Tesla Q3 Update 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shareholder Letter news on the Model X:

We are excited about how the design and functionality of the Model X is beginning to mature. Our vision for the Model X is a vehicle
that combines the functionality of a minivan with a design as cool as an SUV. We remain on plan for an exclusive showing later this year.
Since we are leveraging the Model S architecture and powertrain for Model X, we continue to anticipate that Model X can be brought to
production quickly for first customer deliveries in late 2013, with volumes ramping to 10,000—15,000 units per year beginning in 2014,
and at prices comparable to Model S. Importantly, much of the equipment we are currently installing at the Tesla Factory for the Model S
will also be used for the Model X.

Hi Kevin,

Well, the event can be exclusive and public without inviting Roadster owners and reservation holders.

Larry

True but why in the world would you not want to invite them. Makes them feel special and also makes the event look much more popular to the public. Why not capitalize on the GREAT success of the last one ? Just makes plain sense. But you are correct I am assuming they would repeat a sucessful event.

True but why in the world would you not want to invite them.

I can think of several reasons, and someone else can probably think of more (or argue the opposite!). In no particular order:

1. Cost. In monetary terms and in time and effort.
2. This will be an unveiling of a Model X prototype. Not an Alpha or a Beta.
3. No rides. No reservations. No real specs.
4. Too soon after the last one.
5. Keep the focus on Model S development.
6. Financial markets don't like too much hype. Show some results and concrete development steps first.
7. Model X deliveries in late 2013. Produce some Model S, get great applause, and then hold a Model X event in late 2012 or early 2013.

Well it has to be "exclusive" yet it still has to be "public" in nature. so there are not a whole lot of option for that to happen ....

The Model S beta reveal wasn't advertised as "exclusive". They're a public company so I can't see them doing what Fisker did what the Nina, so the "confusion" is me trying to figure out what they can do that wouldn't run afoul of the SEC.

If press comes, then it's hardly exclusive, unless they just mean BEING at the event is exclusive, in which case the world will see it, the event is still "exclusive" and SEC (and us here) are happy.

I can think of several reasons, and someone else can probably think of more (or argue the opposite!). In no particular order:

1. Cost. In monetary terms and in time and effort.
2. This will be an unveiling of a Model X prototype. Not an Alpha or a Beta.
3. No rides. No reservations. No real specs.
4. Too soon after the last one.
5. Keep the focus on Model S development.
6. Financial markets don't like too much hype. Show some results and concrete development steps first.
7. Model X deliveries in late 2013. Produce some Model S, get great applause, and then hold a Model X event in late 2012 or early 2013.

Agreed, and lends credence to the idea OS a small, intimate thing, from which details (namely pictures) will be made public.

I would expect the Model X unveiling to be very similar to the Model S unveiling several years ago. You got to see a prototype that could move under its own power but the interior was basically unfinished. I don't remember the guest list for that event but it was mostly the press, venture capital investors in Tesla and friends of Elon (if my memory serves).

I think I heard or read that there will be Model X alphas in the first half of 2012.

I would not expect a Beta Event before Model S is fully ramped up with production - if at all.

Tesla is now a public company so they will have to share the Model X with the public at the same time they unveil it to a small group.

It is essentially the cabin interior/exterior that will change. From a theoretical perspective, Model S owners should one day be able to swap out the sedan for an “X” cabin. The battery, wheels and frame would be the same.