Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Roadster Scam on cars.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following this very nice, low mile 2008 Tesla Roadster up for auction on EBay over the past week, located in Santa Monica. Auction ended without meeting its reserve or BIN of $85,000: Tesla | eBay

Coincidently I was looking on cars.com and found the same pictures listed by "Marty" in Florida asking $24,590 for the Tesla Roadster:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=77205140&listingRecNum=10&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D28263%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21834%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D94025%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

The $73,300 bid was mine. Another forum member visited and drove the car. Don't say it was on the low side - I still want this car:cursing:

The cars.com scam is to grab fake pictures/descriptions/VINs from other cars. They then ask you to process the sale through a fake Amazon payment site they have set up in China.

Andrew -

To recap, the car drove well.

I was a bit concerned about battery life since it wasn't fully charged so I couldn't see its range when fully charged, and he said that the batteries needed to be left to drain down and then back up again at times, which is not what the Tesla battery manual document says. Obviously the car has sat there for a couple years if it only has 450 miles on it. He did know it should be kept in storage mode when not used, though.

The car is basically spotless other than the door sills, which have scuffing, but I think that is kinda to be expected. If that irks you, Tesla sells carbon door sills for $1,400, but they also have aluminum on them at the high-traffic spot, so they are subject to scuffing as well unless you put starshield/armor on them (Bob at LA Tesla suggested that to me today). Al & Eds sells all-carbon sills for $1,100 on eBay and Carbon One sells some as well for a little cheaper still (though many have reported sketchy buying experiences with him).

I think the reserve price on the car was $75K, so you may want to ask Marshall (the seller) if he'll sell it to you for that price. You can contact him through the eBay "contact seller" link. They guy is a bit neurotic in terms of cleanliness, which is always a good trait to see in a seller of a used car!

- Chris