Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Safety Rating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
From Exclusive Interview: Elon Musk Shows Cool Confidence About Tesla's Future
According to Musk, the Model S “will have vastly more interior and cargo space than the Fisker Karma, and it’s 20 to 30 percent lighter. It’s five-star crash-rated in every category, and it will be the safest car in the world.”
This is the first time I've seen any Tesla official imply that the five-star ratings in all categories have been received. That's been the aspiration, but now it appears to be reality.

Or am I reading too much into one sentence in one interview?

From Exclusive Interview: Elon Musk Shows Cool Confidence About Tesla's Future

This is the first time I've seen any Tesla official imply that the five-star ratings in all categories have been received. That's been the aspiration, but now it appears to be reality.

Or am I reading too much into one sentence in one interview?

Hard to tell with the "journalists" these days. They crank stories out, getting just enough information to sound informed in some cases. Could just be a misunderstanding. Though, if the betas were close (aside from the interior), I suppose it's possible. Would changing the interior mean you have to re-do the tests?

Tesla made crash tests with alphas and reported that the result was that the alphas weren't yet that in all categories, but in most. The above *might* also mean that the betas now achieve results which correspond to five-star ratings in all categories, but those might still be internal (or unofficial?) results.

Official crash tests will be done with beta 2 vehicles, produced in Fremont. The first vehicle assembly is under way, completing Nov 17. It is to debug production and assembly lines. Way to go for a crash test worthy vehicle to come off the Tesla Factory line.

Hi,

Just a month ago on October 2nd, at the Fremont event Elon said, "In fact, we believe the Model S will be the only car that will be 5-star crash rated in every category, without exception."

Beta Reveal: Intro & Safety (Pt. 1)

At about the 3:50 minute mark.

I believe that statement remains the current accurate position of the company. As was alluded to by Volker a production version, completely made in the factory, didn't start construction until October 17th, with an expected completion duration of about a month. So obviously production crash testing can't start before the car is built.

Larry

Official crash tests will be done with beta 2 vehicles, produced in Fremont. The first vehicle assembly is under way, completing Nov 17. It is to debug production and assembly lines. Way to go for a crash test worthy vehicle to come off the Tesla Factory line.

This sounds correct to me. I remember hearing/reading that official crash-test vehicles must be made the same way the retail vehicles are.

Further clarifications on the earnings call yesterday.
...the safety testing is looking really good, and at certain extremely high bar which is to be by five star pressured in every category. And from what I’m told if we achieve that we’ll be the only car that is five star pressured in every category in fact 2012 category. And so that’s looking really good....
Actually we (inaudible) sacrifice quite a few Model S is the constant thing and (inaudible) dozen and there is another dozen to come and as we do as much as we can with simulation, computer simulation the value of iteration cycles. But we’re very close to the end of that I think