Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Touchscreen versus Canadian Regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I unexpectedly got a ride in a Volt on Monday, with a salesman driving. (No I don't know how I keep getting unexpected rides in EVs. Got to drive a Leaf last week...)

The Volt also had an LCD screen for the speedometer. One of the other passengers asked about putting the GPS navigation beside the speedometer, and he was told that Canadian regulations don't allow that.

Does this mean the functionality of the Model S console is going to be crippled due to Canadian regulations???

I unexpectedly got a ride in a Volt on Monday, with a salesman driving. (No I don't know how I keep getting unexpected rides in EVs. Got to drive a Leaf last week...)

The Volt also had an LCD screen for the speedometer. One of the other passengers asked about putting the GPS navigation beside the speedometer, and he was told that Canadian regulations don't allow that.

Does this mean the functionality of the Model S console is going to be crippled due to Canadian regulations???

I doubt it. Or maybe the answer is "sort of". This sort of regulation is probably why the Model S center console touchscreen is independent of the dashboard touchscreen (apparently two separate computers, even though they can send data to each other). You are likely to be allowed to put the GPS only in the center screen and the speedometer only in the dashboard screen.

If it's like the US, the vehicle code is public and online, so if such a regulation existed, it could be found and the appropriate section can be pointed out (otherwise it's just talk).

A quick Googling says Canada as a whole doesn't have any regulations pertaining to GPS, only a "memorandum of understanding" among automakers to follow certain guidelines (but of course these aren't legally binding and won't affect Tesla since I don't think Tesla is in the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers). One such guideline mentioned is disabling GPS programming while the car is in motion (which from a previous thread, it appears people DON'T want Tesla to do that, as that makes it so the passenger can't do it either). Although there are organizations pushing for regulations.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2010/01/29/consumer-gps-programming.html

Somewhat relevant regulation says GPS units blocking the windshield *might* be illegal (doesn't affect dashboard GPS though), depending on how the law on obstructions to the windshield is interpreted.
http://www.wheels.ca/Columns/article/268935

If it's like the US, there's probably local vehicle codes that are more specific on this matter (for example California has their own stricter guidelines). For example, Alberta has their own vehicle safety bill (effective September 1, 2011):
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm
The summary says GPS usage is still allowed under the bill as long as the GPS device is affixed and programmed before driving.

Last edited: