Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Beta in New York City: Oct 29-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right? And we plan to be on the tip of long island then
Here's a little preview:
IMGP0122.JPG
IMGP0121.JPG

Any Idea if they will have the car around the following weekend? I have planned a trip to NYC for the marathon the following weekend and was hoping they would have it at the show room by that time so I could stop by with the wife and check it out. Maybe seeing it in person and pulling the sales man's teeth would make me feel more comfortable about what the final price will really be.

So I went and it wasn't really that crowded, because of the weather no doubt. When I left the weather wasn't really that bad, it was just like it was raining, except there was snow mixed in. When I left and got back to Jersey the roads were white and crappy.

The event was fun, it was awesome getting to see the Model S in person. They had the Red one and a green Roadster from I belive California. No really much more information, but I did get into a 'discussion/argument' with one of the Tesla employees in regards to fast charging. It essentially focused around Tesla being able to get the fast charging out there (she assured me Tesla would have no problem doing this, almost brushing off the cost of doing it). When I brought up the fact that other EVs wouldn't be able to use it she asked why would they want to allow competitors to use their fast charging station. Did not like that answer at all and countered it would be better for EV adoption if other cars could use it. I also brought up CHAdeMo (just as an example of a fast charging standard, I'll admit I'm not that versed on charging standards and all that). Anyway, she apparently never heard of it (though could be because of mis-pronouncing it type situation).

She then went on and compared quick charge stations the different types of gasoline available and how not every car can use the other type of gas (regular gas, diesel, biofuel, ethanol, stuff like that). I didn't say anything to that, mostly cause I couldn't think of anything to counter it. Of course on the way home I thought of the fact that the example is stupid and not even the same. Any car that takes unleaded can go to any gas station and get unleaded from that gas station, same for diesel or premium and the others. But this whole conversation kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth if this is Tesla the company's point of view and not just this employee's point of view. She said that Tesla knows what they are doing and they will be able to get the fast charging out there. After having read through the one thread about charging standards or what not and people not being overly happy with Tesla's propriety plug (again) and the answers they received, I understand. Hopefully as more official details come out we'll get better answers.

Other than that though, I really enjoyed the event. I didn't have an issue getting into the back and it was definitely roomy. The touchscreen was awesome but they had disabled a lot of functions due to how they were excessivley used at the Houston stop. The handles didn't work, the moon roof didn't open and other little things like that. The A/C was working because the guy showing the touchscreen turned it on with his iPhone app. The jumpseats in the back did fold down and they became flat. I will post this in the Amber Turn Signal discussion, but want to point out I did turn on the turn signals and the rear turn signals are in fact red and not amber. I brought it up to two people (also mentioned the thread on this site) and the one guy said he will bring it up and understands the issue about it being hard to discern the difference between the turn signal or somebody constantly tapping the break (apparently he never actually thought about it, but once I brought it up it made sense to him).

So, overall it was a great event and it was awesome being able to sit in it and see it in person. Hopefully I will know somebody that gets one so I can get a test ride/drive in it.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention, I think I helped convice a person to put down a deposit on the Model S. I believe it was also a Signature Model S.

-Shark2k

Last edited:
Sounds like it may have just been that employee. It does bring up the fact though, that as tesla expands, they will need to hire more, and the people they get will not likely be EV enthusiasts or even very knowledgeable on the intricacies of their own product. That'd be a shame, I always go away feeling "meh" when I'm met with a rep that knows way less than I do about the product they're trying to sell.

I hope they make it down to DC this time instead of skipping us like they did for the prototype tour.

Model S Beta Prototype Tour: Washington DC

Saturday, November 26, 2011 - Sunday, November 27, 2011

Model S is the world's first premium electric sedan. Designed from the ground up as an electric car, Model S provides an unprecedented driving range of up to 300 miles and can accelerate from 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds without burning a drop of gasoline. Built around the driver, Model S features a 17" touchscreen and seating for up to seven. See the Model S Beta on display this weekend. The Beta version is a 90% production intent prototype of the Model S.

Saturday 10AM- 6PM
Sunday 12-5PM

Tesla Washington DC

1050 K Street NW Suite 101
Washington DC 20001
United States