Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Roadster shopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
As custom ordered new Roadsters are no longer being offered for sale in USA, people are starting to look harder at used ones as they become available.

A few people contacted me asking if I could give advice, but I don't have a whole lot to say about it.

You can watch eBay and Craigslist and sometimes find them there.
You can just Google for Tesla and sometimes find that someone traded one it at a car dealership which then offers it for sale.
I have no idea if the sales reps at the Tesla stores will be helping to locate used Roadsters or not.

In terms of what Roadster someone might want...
I think generally newer is better as "improvements" were made during production.
Also, the battery packs slowly age even if not used, so a newer pack is generally better.
The later years had among other things:
  • More comfortable seats.
  • More sound proofing (quieter ride).
  • Better dashboard (kWh gauge instead of pointless tachometer.)
  • A small glove box was added and the dashboard was more covered in leather.
  • Double DIN radio for better GPS/Nav option.
  • Optional carbon fiber accents.
  • Optional black wheels.
  • 2010 got rid of the "stick shift" gear selector and put buttons in the center. The VDS screen also moved from the left knee position to the center in front of the shift buttons.
They basically fall into these buckets:
2008 Model 1.5 (VINs 1 through 500)
2010 Model 2.0 (VINs 501 through 963)
2010 Model 2.5 (VINs ~964 through 1169)
2011 Model 2.5 (VINs 1170 through 1464)

Also, the 2.x models could be ordered as a "Sport" with 0-60 in 3.7 (instead of 3.9), adjustable suspension, (in some cases) performance tires, and such. I would say that the Sport variant would carry a premium over the non-sport.

There are various options that could be added the car that would affect resale value. I won't try to list them all or project what they might be worth, but a few majors ones would be:

• Hard top
  • HPC (high power home charging station)
  • UMC (Universal Mobile Charger)
  • MC240 (precursor to the UMC)
Note, among the first Roadsters made were the "Signature 100" series. These may have special plaques (between the seats) with signatures of the team that worked on the Roadster, and in some cases the original buyers name.
Also, they offered a special color "Signature Green" which wasn't made available anymore after the first 100.

Last edited:
having just bought a used roadster, i'll add:

there was a noticeable external styling change between the 2.0 vs 2.5 models. you can see a comparison here:

Auto Rivals | 2011 Tesla Roadster vs 2010 Tesla Roadster

the shape of the 1.5 models look (essentially? completely?) the same on the outside as the 2.0 but the interior differences are easily seen (and described by TEG in the above posting.)

in addition to the 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 models, there is sometimes reference to a 2.25 model which i found confusing. here is a quote from a tesla sales person about what that meant for a particular car that tesla has listed for sale as a 2.25:

"So Roadster 8XX which is the 2.25 is really a Roadster 2.0 with the 2.5 front and rear bumpers. It doesn’t have the interior upgrades like the better nav, stereo, seats and sound deadening."

in terms of quantifying the impact of two major upgrades i found desirable: the sound deadening package can be added to earlier cars for around $3K and the adjustable suspension (comprised of adjustable shocks, adjustable sway bars and different springs) can be retrofitted for around $6K.

the cost of the HPC charger is around $2K. you can see the various charging options and adapters here:

charging Tesla Motors

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information. What are reasonable used prices currently for the 1.5/2.0/2.5 and 2.5 Sport versions? How much does low vs. high mileage ie <2000 mi
vs. 8-15K mi or more affect the value?

Newer tends to be selling for more without so much regard for mileage.
Prices vary quite a bit depending on options... How many are for sale that week, etc.
Sport models tend to command a premium.

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information. What are reasonable used prices currently for the 1.5/2.0/2.5 and 2.5 Sport versions? How much does low vs. high mileage ie <2000 mi
vs. 8-15K mi or more affect the value?

I was looking at 2.0 sport models - base $90k then add/subtract for mileage, options, etc. A very lightly used roadster may have been in the shop a lot so beware! The battery is supposed to last 100k miles and about $12k to replace
so you can deduct accordingly.

Here's a suggestion:

As the new owner you pay for a current annual service, and the owner pays for any repairs that they find during the service. If the seller backs out he pays for the service also. If the car is under warrenty then most of what they find would be covered anyway, if out of warrenty then this could be important.

I spoke with people at the Tesla dealer in LA and they said they did three 2.0-2.25 conversions. It was apparently a PITA so they don't really do them anymore. I recently asked for a quote and I just found out the parts are about $3K for the front + $550 for the rear diffuser, though I have seen some rear diffusers (used) on eBay for $250 or so. And then there is the labor. And all of this assumes the parts are available, which they may not be. Finally, as has been written, you still don't have all of the 2.5 sound deadening and other niceties.

Here's the complete list of Roadster 2.5 standard features and options from the Tesla sales brochure:

STANDARD FEATURES
EXTERIOR
  • Black soft top
  • LED tail lights
  • Split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels (16" front, 17" rear)
  • Tire inflator and sealant

INTERIOR
  • Heated sport seats
  • Touchscreen vehicle information display
  • Electric air conditioner and heater
  • Three-spoke leather-wrapped sport steering wheel
  • Power windows and door locks
  • Retractable cup holder
  • Cruise control
  • Floor mats

SAFETY AND SECURITY
  • Four-sensor, four channel Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
  • Traction control
  • Tire pressure monitoring system
  • Front and rear crumple zones
  • Driver and passenger front airbags
  • Rigid occupant safety cell
  • Side impact door beams
  • Seatbelt pretensioners
  • Integrated head restraints
  • Vehicle theft-deterrent and immobilizer system
  • Security PIN for starting the vehicle
  • Valet mode to restrict speed, acceleration and range
  • Battery heater for cold weather charging to -20 Celsius

CHARGING
  • Spare mobile connector (120 volt/15 amp capable)

OPTIONS
EXTERIOR
  • Metallic paint
  • Premium paint
  • Body armour hardtop
  • Body colour hardtop
  • Clear coat carbon fibre hardtop
  • Clear coat carbon fibre body accents
  • Solar guard windshield
  • Hardtop storage bag
  • Car cover

INTERIOR
  • Premium seats
  • Executive leather interior and premium seats
  • Executive leather interior with carbon fibre accents and premium seats
  • Infotainment group (includes in-dash 7" touchscreen with GPS navigation, back-up camera, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, 7-speaker sound system with subwoofer, Bluetooth connectivity and Homelink door opener)

PERFORMANCE
All performance options included with Roadster Sport
  • 10-way adjustable suspension
  • Forged aluminum wheels - silver or black
  • Performance tires

WINTER WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
  • Cast aluminum wheels, winter tires and tire pressure monitoring system
  • Forged aluminum wheels, winter tires and tire pressure monitoring system

CHARGING
  • High power wall connector (240 volt/70 amp capable)
  • Universal mobile connector (240 volt/40 amp capable)

SERVICE
  • Battery replacement agreement

But the expensive batteries do wear out...
True, but, potentially the replacements can be better than the original, which would make a used Roadster with a new pack better than new. If you can get a new Roadster pack with the new 3.4ah cells that are going into the S you could have longer range or a lighter pack, or a little of both. If you can hold on for the 4ah cells even better.