Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging protocols for hotel installing charge (any ideas?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Charging protocols for hotel installing charger (any ideas?)

The Hilton Austin is nice enough to be installing a J1772 70A charger. What should I tell them to do with the spot? I told them to paint the ground of the parking spot 'EV only' and have signs saying spot is for pure EVs, not plug-in hybrids. They should then put maybe a 110V and a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the two spots next to it for people with mobile chargers. They said that if demand increases enough, they would install another charger in the valet area (the new one is going in the parking garage). Thanks.

Last edited:
The Hilton Austin is nice enough to be installing a J1772 70A charger. What should I tell them to do with the spot? I told them to paint the ground of the parking spot 'EV only' and have signs saying spot is for pure EVs, not plug-in hybrids. They should then put maybe a 110V and a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the two spots next to it for people with mobile chargers. They said that if demand increases enough, they would install another charger in the valet area (the new one is going in the parking garage). Thanks.

Check the Plug In America sight. They have signage examples that are well worded.

I would advise to them that they give priority to people (hotel guests) who have made *reservations* to use the spot. If a lot of BEVs show up, they'll be glad of the clarity, and as a hotel they already know how to handle reservations.

In the valet area, if there's multiple electric cars there, the valets should actually rotate which car is at the charger to keep them all charged.

Yes, I'm planning ahead for when the hotel has mutiple BEVs present at once, but anyway, that was the problem I thought of when you asked. Everything else you said sounds good too.

If the spot is empty and a PHEV turns up, should they not be able to use it?

Thats why free charging sucks, and the places that charge $1/hour - charging or not - are better ( for Tesla owners, not necessarily for everyone else )
If you get there, needing a charge, and a plug in Prius is sipping away at 3kW because its free...

It would be a lot better ( for all BEVs but especially Tesla owners ) if it was in the valet area and the valets understood how to prioritize cars.
The PHEV to BEV contention is something that is a disaster for the BEV and not a big deal for the PHEV.

If the spot is empty and a PHEV turns up, should they not be able to use it?
That would be ideal but I agree with richake. If you're only staying in the hotel one evening and a plug in prius is tying up the spot for 6+ hours, that may prevent you from reaching your destination when you leave in morning. The Prius can always go to a gas station. I think they should reserve the high power charger for pure EVs and have some 110V outlets that plug-in hybrids can use for overnight.

That would be ideal but I agree with richake. If you're only staying in the hotel one evening and a plug in prius is tying up the spot for 6+ hours, that may prevent you from reaching your destination when you leave in morning. The Prius can always go to a gas station. I think they should reserve the high power charger for pure EVs and have some 110V outlets that plug-in hybrids can use for overnight.

According to the Toyota site, the Plug in Prius goes 15 miles on a charge, and charges in 3 hours on a 110v outlet. I don't think they will be competing with anyone's spot for 6 hours.

Signage does not seem to work well - at our local Omni Hotel in New Haven an ICE vehicle was parked in the Juice Bar spot. At least he took the J1772 side of the charger and left the Tesla connector open. I still left a feisty note for the guy.

Considering that spot isn't exactly in the line of where traffic in the garage is SUPPOSED to go, that was a pretty brazen move for them. The spot IS right at the entrance and seems relatively convenient comparatively speaking.

I wonder if having a few printouts with nicely-worded "please don't do that and here's why" is something we should have with us ...

According to the Toyota site, the Plug in Prius goes 15 miles on a charge, and charges in 3 hours on a 110v outlet. I don't think they will be competing with anyone's spot for 6 hours.
I see. But unless they come unplug their car and move it, it might sit there overnight. They should ideally have some way to move cars in and out. I like the reservation idea.

I see. But unless they come unplug their car and move it, it might sit there overnight. They should ideally have some way to move cars in and out. I like the reservation idea.

Thats why I think the fancy Chargepoint stations are not necessary. Just use a parking meter. It doesnt matter whether the car is done charging or even if it is plugged in. If it is in the spot, it is blocking someone else. You should pay for the time you are in the spot. Parking meters will keep ICE cars out, and encourage everyone who plugs in to move out as soon as they are done.
The notification that Chargepoint has is great, to tell you when you are done, but your car should have the smarts to do that on its own.

In any case, a valet is the best way to optimize the charger.