Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to say that looks like the Roadster cutout I've seen at Deer Creek and Santana Row but... it's different:

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Motor cooling questions:

With the stator shown in cinergi's post, the outer corrugated layer could be used for liquid cooling, but how do you cool that solid chunk o'metal stator that TEG linked to?

Also (separate question) - how do you effectively cool the rotor? It should look similar in concept to the stator -- copper bars (instead of multiple distinct windings) embedded in steel laminations. You don't want liquid in the rotor/stator gap (too much drag). Is it worth trying to get liquid into the rotor somehow (hollow axle etc)? I doubt it. I guess cooling around the bearings/axle on either side of the motor would have to do...

cinergi's pix are of the Roadster motor and the outer section has air blown through it.
The S-motor is supposed to be liquid cooled. I am not sure how they do that. I didn't see coolant channels in the picture.

Do we even know that it's supposed to be a Model S motor? It's just the display that have at the Houston gallery.
The pics are of two different motors. The one is a roadster motor, and the other is different. I guess it could be some other Tesla prototype motor???? It doesn't look like its water cooled.

Part of this display:
6264684089_969a44cf45_b.jpg

Captions include:
BATTERY Up to 85kWh of lithium-ion cells work together to generate 1200 Amps of DC current.
MOTOR Three-phase AC Induction Motor produces up to 290 kW of power.
INVERTER Converts DC power stored in the battery to AC power and precisely controls motor torque with up to 900 Amps of AC current.

(Reminder: it was said elsewhere that standard model would be 900 Amps, Sport model 1200 Amps...)

Looks like they might have a NEMA5-15 and NEMA14-50 on the wall display so (presumably) salespeople could describe to potential customers how they would recharge at home.

Last edited:
...Looks like they might have a NEMA5-15 and NEMA14-50 on the wall display so (presumably) salespeople could describe to potential customers how they would recharge at home...

Looks like those outlets actually work.
This photo has a Model S beta charging from one! :
Front of Roadster | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
scharge.jpg

Also, that blue Roadster looks to be Eurospec.
I guess that is the start of the ones they said will be brought in for display only (not to be sold to US customers.)
If they keep sample Roadsters in the showrooms it is likely to cause a good number of people to want to buy one, but have to turn to the used market.

Last edited: