Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My girlfriend now has racing fever after drag-racing a 'vette in my Tesla and winning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She's made me promise that we'll build an electric dragster that can beat any muscle car we encounter. I figured I could find the most useful up-to-date information about the most powerful motors, best packs, and best trans-axles available today in this part of the forum but there's a lot of older information here. Is anyone up-to-date on the best way to find out how to convert a modern muscle car into an electric racing machine (probably drag-only... we don't really want to die) that's essentially unbeatable? I have a guy who is ready to do the conversion for me if I'll get all of the parts together. I'm trying not to break the bank on this project.

You want to go check out: National Electric Drag Racing Association ( National Electric Drag Racing Association )
They have a mailing list ( old school internet ) that you want to get on and ask for specifics.

The builders of most of the quickest EVs in the world will be found there:
http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php
KillaCycle - Worlds Quickest Electric Motorcycle
OCC/Lawless Electric Drag Bike Sets 1/4 Record - Motorcycle USA

Black Current III

You will be faster if you can start with a lighter car.
Building a 10 second capable car should be totally doable, especially if you use LiPo.

For a long time now I have wondered what it would take to build a replacement pack for the Roadster that was lighter.
Cells exist that could build a 100 to 200 pound pack with the same power output for a short time, but with much less capacity.
I think that could get a Roadster Sport down into the 11.7 second range in the 1/4 mile ( just from plugging weight reduction numbers into various web based 1/4 mile calculators )

For a long time now I have wondered what it would take to build a replacement pack for the Roadster that was lighter.
Cells exist that could build a 100 to 200 pound pack with the same power output for a short time, but with much less capacity.
I think that could get a Roadster Sport down into the 11.7 second range in the 1/4 mile ( just from plugging weight reduction numbers into various web based 1/4 mile calculators )

I have a feeling, completely unconfirmed, that the Roadster is a bit of a "matched set" of components that are "hard coded" to talk to each other.
The ESS has a bunch of computers in it to monitor the cells. If you didn't have something speaking "Roadster protocol" to the PEM it might refuse to send power to the motor.
Tesla tends to build as much as they can themselves, and keep it mostly proprietary, so swapping components could be difficult.
I suppose one could build an "ESS simulator" that just kept saying "I am a happy pack" to any other inquisitive devices in the car.

I suppose one could build an "ESS simulator" that just kept saying "I am a happy pack" to any other inquisitive devices in the car.

Oh absolutely - this would be the hardest part of the project, learning how to convince the rest of the computers in the car that your replacement battery walked like an ESS and talked like an ESS and served juice like an ESS.

Then you take 500lbs out of the car and find it still performs the same. The firmware saying to itself "all Roadsters accelerate the same."
Might have to be more intrusive to convince it to take advantage of some weight loss...

EV noob looking to build drag car - DIY Electric Car Forums

Most EV drag racers are using Zilla DC controllers. Production has been spotty, so if you are serious, you might want to start by getting a controller. Seems that "siamesed" twin 9" DC motors are the hot setup. Most racers seem to have some motor expert custom rebuild them for drag purposes. Various lithium packs can power it including RC car batteries, flashlight batteries, laptop batteries, etc. Just needs lots of them. A123 batteries are a good choice. Getting a good BMS to charge them happily can be a challenge. I think a lot of these vehicles tend to have an operating voltage around 350V. A serious racer would be able to push 2000amps or more.

Then you take 500lbs out of the car and find it still performs the same. The firmware saying to itself "all Roadsters accelerate the same."
Might have to be more intrusive to convince it to take advantage of some weight loss...
I don't think that this is the case because lighter drivers have been getting better track times...

As far as the beat just about any drag car with an electric, Good luck. You will need it along with a FAT wallet. There are dozens of STREET cars that run single digits at most all tracks. There are even more race cars.

I don't think that this is the case because lighter drivers have been getting better track times...

Yeah - I am not sure - I was just saying it could have a software limit of how quickly it is willing to rev.
I could imagine doing 0-60 in less than 3.5 could put it in an error state or somesuch.
The firmware does seem to monitor a lot of things and sound an alarm if anything seems unusual.

Seems like a good month to start a project like this. Evnetics is introducing "Big Sol" or the Shiva DC motor driver which has 1 megawatt (!) capability, and Netgain is introducing the dual-comm Warp 11 HV high-powered DC motor. I just visited a forum where an EV drag builder claimed he calculated 6 to 7s quarter miles with two of each of those units in one car. How synchronistic!

Speed = Money ^ 3

ICE cars are reaping the rewards of 100 years and 100s of billions of R&D by everyone from backyard tinkerers to giant multibillion megacorps to Formula 1 racing teams.
EVs have a short history of DIYers and tiny companies whose shoulders to stand on. The more the better!

There will be a tipping point in just a few years when a car enthusiast will be able to build and operate a quicker EV than ICE car for the same money. I believe that is only a matter of time. Once that happens, it is game over for the ICE and the backyard tinkerer with his gas burner will either evolve or be blown off the track.