Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hpc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
VFX posted this after the LA ROTEC party:

HPC2.PNG

Any guess as to how tall it is?

First forum picture of HPC 2.0, courtesy of VFX:
hpc2.jpg

Similar design style, and car plug end as the UMC 2.0...

As I write this we don't know many details, although I assume it does 208/240V AC, possibly up to 20kW (~80amps).

I assume that it may be offered in different colors to match your Model S.

Last edited:
Very sexy, though as someone pointed out, the cord length (if not extendable or a retractable setup) means it'll need to be placed strategically. If you pull into your garage then towards the door should work. I like to back in, while my wife pulls in forward, so... Solution is she won't be driving it :tongue:

If we have the HPC mounted inside the garage for our car, how do we make it available for traveler's use?

One option would be to mount it on the outside of the front of the garage and only use it when I need a fast charge. Plug in the car to the regular outlet on a nightly basis.

My sister immediately said it looks good when she saw it on my screen, without really knowing what it was. She isn't biased as I might be, but in any case, personally I think it looks at least twice as good as any other EVSE I recall. It also looks very practical in that the place for the cord is lower, and in that it seems to occupy little space along a wall. Plus it fits perfectly with the thin and simple yet elegant connector. Might be difficult to achieve the same effect for the DC fast charger, but who knows (I'm sure it will visibly have "Tesla" on it).

Any guesses as to how much the second 10kW onboard charger will cost?
If it is pushing $10k, I would rather put that money towards the larger battery pack.
If I had a choice, I'd prefer to make it to an overnight destination and slow charge the large pack rather than taking a pit stop to fast charge the small pack.

Last edited:
Any guesses as to how much the second 10kW onboard charger will cost?
If it is pushing $10k, I would rather put that money towards the larger battery pack.
If I had a choice, I'd prefer to make it to an overnight destination and slow charge the large pack rather than taking a pit stop to fast charge the small pack.

I've often thought of the difference between multiple stops or one large stop. It would seem the battery capacity makes quickcharges the better option for a long trip.

If you got ideal range, and drove 60mph, you'd cover 300 miles in just 5 hours. Lot of wasted driving hours if you start at say 8am, drive til 1ish, then start charging. Wouldn't you cover more ground by finding somewhere to quick charge, eat, and get back on the road at 2 and then drive for even just 4 hours more?

At that point, it's dinner time, and you'll be ready to check in somewhere for more overnight charging.