Thread: Open Vehicle Monitoring System

Quote Originally Posted by waidy View Post
    Entune is nowhere near as cool as OVMS
    Sorry, still don't get it.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    I'd hoped to be able to pen 'done', but still a few things to finish.

The fantastic news is that we got some sponsorship, paying for a professional Android developer to help us with the hard parts of this to get the foundation correct. That developer has already committed the necessary work to get the displays scaling up nicely on phones and tablets of a variety of resolutions. The work is already in github, and I've tried it on a variety of devices. It looks good on all. So, the core problem of display resolution has been resolved, and it looks like it will cope with future Android devices as well.

The last tasks to complete are the control pages. Things like locking/unlocking the car, wakeup, features, parameters and home link. This is much simpler, but we wanted the Android developer to put in place a good framework for doing this, that we can expand upon. He has done the foundation of this work, and should be complete within the next few days.

So, the end result is that we are very very close.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. We've also taken the opportunity to add Twizy and Volt/Ampera support to the Android App, in preparation for the upcoming v2 vehicle firmware with support for those cars.
    Great! My phone is ready and waiting for the update.... now if only Tesla would release the Model S app.
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

I just wanted to thank Mark and all involved with the OVMS project. I had a few failed attempts with an AT&T SIM card and data plan. At Mark's suggestion I purchased a GeoSIM Card and Data plan from the UK. I'm happy to report the OVMS has been monitoring my Roadster for over a week without issues.
    Great gadget thanks again guy's
    Sam C

Quote Originally Posted by samcarney View Post
    I just wanted to thank Mark and all involved with the OVMS project. (snip) Great gadget thanks again guy's
    Thanks for the kind words, and glad it is all working for you.

We've got some great people working on this project, and as we come up to the first anniversary of OVMS, it is fun to look back and see all that has been achieved. Thanks to everyone who has helped out with this.

My son in law sent me this link A breakthrough device that enables the world's first app store for your car | Indiegogo
    Some of the features of the OVMS for ICE vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    My son in law sent me this link A breakthrough device that enables the world's first app store for your car | Indiegogo
    Some of the features of the OVMS for ICE vehicles.
    There's another similar one (which seemed to be a little further along), but the name escapes me. In my view, the more the merrier. Getting this stuff out of the manufacturer and into user hands is the goal.

I do have an issue with the openness of these systems. They use the 'open' name, but are not truly open. You need to use their hardware, their data, their servers, and their clouds. Yes, they have an API and that is supposedly open to all, but the rest of the system is closed. But, that is a philosophical argument. To the end-users, it is probably easier.

We have a page up at openvehicles.com outlining our current vehicle support:

Vehicle Support | Open Vehicle Systems

EVs only at the moment, but that should change quite soon. OVMS started as something to help the EV movement, but a lot of us also have ICEs in our garages.

anyone working on Leaf support for OVMS?
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And any update to the Android app yet?
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    anyone working on Leaf support for OVMS?
    Nope. With carwings providing the basic telemetry, I don't think there has been too much of an itch to scratch. We're concentrating on the cars with nothing at the moment.

That said, if Leaf owners want it (or anyone else for that matter), we'll support ya'll. The more the merrier.

The status of current vehicle support can be found at: Vehicle Support | Open Vehicle Systems

Roadster is done and dusted. Lots of fun stuff still to do, but the basics are pretty solid and working.
    Twizy has had an amazing amount of work done (down to historical data for individual battery sheets) by Michael Balzer. He's also helped us with the re-work to v2 firmware (more on this below), and OVMS GPS support for cars without in-built GPS.
    Volt/Ampera has had progress. Basic SOC monitoring is up, but it has been hard working.
    Work on generic OBDII support has just started (VIN, fuel level, speed, trouble codes, as well as the usual geo-location).
    Work on a few other cars is just starting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrComputer View Post
    And any update to the Android app yet?
    As the proud new owner of a Nexus 4, I feel your pain. The whole process of getting the Android App working on modern hardware has been excruciating.

As I said before, we've got a sponsored developer working on it, and he is doing an amazing job. It is just taking a lot of time to get all the pieces together and working on old as well as new Androids.

I have got it running on my phone (as anyone can - the source code is up-to-date on github), but it is just too buggy at the moment to release. The framework is amazing (using fragments, action bars, and all the latest techniques) - we just need to get the bugs ironed out. As soon as we have something functionally workable, I'll release a side-load APK for you all. In the meantime, if you want to try it you will need to build from source. Estimate is still 'any day now'. I'd love to give a firmer date, but it is not under my control.

Firmware update
    We've produced a custom cable for OBDII car owners (pretty much everyone except for the Tesla Roadster), and that just went up on our China logistics partner $9.50 ODB-II to DB9 Data Cable for OVMS at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping - see OVMS OBDII Cables now available | Open Vehicle Systems for details. This cable will allow us to connect OVMS to pretty much any modern car with an OBDII port and CAN bus. This is very exciting, particularly for those of us with more than one vehicle in our garage.

Work on the v2 firmware has progressed well and we're about to release our first betas. This new firmware includes support for all the cars we have in one firmware, and allows you to switch between vehicle types when you install. The purpose of the new firmware is to allow multiple people to work on multiple vehicle support, and to give the vehicle modules a high level of customisability (including the messages they report, SMS responses, SMS commands, etc).

Much more convenient, and easier logistically. When this is released, the Renault Twizy support will come out of development and into general availability (similar to the situation with Tesla Roadster support).

Regards, Mark.

I would like that OVMS has a twitteraccount so i can follow the highlights of its progress!

Thread Information