Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Vehicle Monitoring System

Quote Originally Posted by waidy View Post
    I took delivery of a 2nd Generation (2012) Rav4-EV a week ago and will take delivery of a Model S this month. Does the OVMS supports these two types of EV? Has any one install the OVMS module in any of these two types of EVs?
    Not that I know of. There is no standard for access to this type of vehicle info, so each vehicle needs to have individual support written. The closest we have is OBDII support, which is at least a standard connector, but the codes on that connector are still vehicle specific and work on that has only just started.

We have a table with current project status at:

Vehicle Support | Open Vehicle Systems

Regards, Mark
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

I'm not sure on if its compatible, but my intuition is no. Is it possible? Yes. 1st you have to see if you have access to any of the information / commands to query your info and issue cmds. Next you would need to have someone create the firmware that runs on the OVMS that understands your vehicle and command sets. Finally need to have someone develop the client / phone app. I don't think the server side would need all that much work for that its mostly a configuration and relay portal.

Best bet is to visit the RAV 4 forum and see if anything is implemented already and gather info. If there's nothing out there yet, then you can start connecting the dots with personal resources and talents to utilize the OVMS communication infrastructure / hardware and in time you'll have one.

I took delivery of a 2nd Generation (2012) Rav4-EV a week ago and will take delivery of a Model S this month. Does the OVMS supports these two types of EV? Has any one install the OVMS module in any of these two types of EVs?
    I just got an account at openvehicles.com. Looking at the list of EVs OVMS supported , it seems there is not yet development for the new Rav4-EV nor Tesla

Regarding vehicle support, we are about to cross a milestone. The server and apps are not an issue - they support a 'virtual' car, and really don't care what they are showing. There are some artwork issues, but that is relatively easy.

The problem is the car firmware that runs in the OVMS module. That is vehicle specific.

The milestone is the v2.x firmware being finalized now. That supports plug-in (sic) vehicle modules, and multiple vehicles can be supported in a single firmware (switchable via a config value). The vehicle modules are arranged to extend core functionality, so we can have network and SMS commands and responses on a per-vehicles basis. We should have support for Tesla Roadster, Renault Twizy and Volt/Ampera in the initial firmware. We're also working on a generic OBDII module (vehicle speed, fuel level, fault codes, etc).

If anyone is interested in working on adding other vehicles, I'll help and support you with whatever I can. So long as the vehicle has a can bus, something should be possible.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

DIY: How to install a big touchscreen in your car

Thought this might be interesting for people wanting to use OVMS on a big touchscreen inside their car

Here DIY instructions (in a subaru, but applicable to any car I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by jcstp View Post
    Thought this might be interesting for people wanting to use OVMS on a big touchscreen inside their car

Here DIY instructions (in a subaru, but applicable to any car I guess)

Crazy that the car pre-dated the iPad but seemed designed for it.

The one I think looks promising is:

Parrot - Parrot ASTEROID Smart

With 3 USB ports, and a USB-can bus adaptor, the possibilities are endless.
    PLEASE NOTE:

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Crazy that the car pre-dated the iPad but seemed designed for it.

The one I think looks promising is:

Parrot - Parrot ASTEROID Smart

With 3 USB ports, and a USB-can bus adaptor, the possibilities are endless.
    maybe when using a cheap android tab instead of an ipad, you can have also multiple usb's
    Maybe the cheap solution for twizzy or others

Quote Originally Posted by DrComputer View Post
    Mark, any news on the test Android version yet? My phone is longing for an update
    I'd hoped to be able to pen 'done', but still a few things to finish.

The fantastic news is that we got some sponsorship, paying for a professional Android developer to help us with the hard parts of this to get the foundation correct. That developer has already committed the necessary work to get the displays scaling up nicely on phones and tablets of a variety of resolutions. The work is already in github, and I've tried it on a variety of devices. It looks good on all. So, the core problem of display resolution has been resolved, and it looks like it will cope with future Android devices as well.

The last tasks to complete are the control pages. Things like locking/unlocking the car, wakeup, features, parameters and home link. This is much simpler, but we wanted the Android developer to put in place a good framework for doing this, that we can expand upon. He has done the foundation of this work, and should be complete within the next few days.

So, the end result is that we are very very close.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. We've also taken the opportunity to add Twizy and Volt/Ampera support to the Android App, in preparation for the upcoming v2 vehicle firmware with support for those cars.

Rav4 EV has Entune that provides these functions. Why would you want both?
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Rav4 EV has Entune that provides these functions. Why would you want both?
    Entune is nowhere near as cool as OVMS

Thread Information