Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Vehicle Monitoring System

Blog Entries
    FYI: The glove box button doesn't work when the doors are locked either.

WARNING: Danger of Electric Shock! Vehicle may accelerate quicker than anticipated.

Blog Entries
    Showed it to four Tesla folks this weekend, they were all amazed and very impressed then busy downloading the app to play with the demonstration car.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Showed it to four Tesla folks this weekend, they were all amazed and very impressed then busy downloading the app to play with the demonstration car.
    I've got a new demo car used for testing and tuning the live map tracking function in the upcoming iPhone App revision. It is pretty cool, and should be out within the next week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsax View Post
    I...

I wonder if it's possible to put up a custom error message on the touchscreen, "Hey, dirtbag, your position on I-5 is being tracked and the cops are on their way."
    Or simply, This car is in Valet Mode. Speed is limited and all driving is being recorded.

Once the OMVS has the capability that your that your car has been disconnected like the Tattler I would like it to send the app a picture from an onboard car-camera. I'm thinking a pinhole camera that looks out the front of the car from the windshield mirror or one mounted in the diver's side mirror looking back at the plug to record the person on the plug.

"What the car sees" would be an awesome feature.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Would it be possible to add pin access to the app? For me, would be more useful on the iPad version since my phone is with me but might be useful to others for both versions. Thanks.

2010 2.0 Roadster Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Would it be possible to add pin access to the app? For me, would be more useful on the iPad version since my phone is with me but might be useful to others for both versions. Thanks.
    I was thinking about the same thing:

Or have the option of the app requesting a password before allowing the user to change anything (i.e., do any CAN bus writes, or change parameters/features). The password could be (optionally) requested at either start up or the first time the user touches anything that it makes sense to password protect, then after entering the correct password, the rest of the time the app was active it wouldn't ask for the password again.

Or at least maybe provide the option of a password lock on the "Control" button. Then I can be sure that someone I let play around with my iPhone won't change parameters nor features using the app and, if I have set to no-CAN-write, then they won't be able to change charging (including setting current to greater than available from the source), etc.

Thinking about this, I'd also make sure to clear out any SMS to the OVMS showing PARAMS or FEATURE commands being executed to not give someone examples of texts that they could send, with some modifications, which could change configuration (and not let them see the password in the PARAMS).
    It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
    - Ferris Bueller about the 1961 Ferrari 250GT Spyder California
    - Me about the Tesla Roadster

I live my life 240 [ideal] miles at a time.
    - Paraphrasing Dom in The Fast and the Furious

Blog Entries
    That seems to me like going to a lot of bother, why don't you just enable the password on your phone? Maybe I'm being too simplistic.....

2010 2.0 Roadster Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    That seems to me like going to a lot of bother, why don't you just enable the password on your phone? Maybe I'm being too simplistic.....
    I do use a PIN on my phone, but I expect that friends/family will want to look at and play with the app and I have relatives that like to play with my iPhone whenever I visit, even before I had the awesome OVMS app.

I haven't done any iPhone app programming, but I would think that adding a (optional) password to the app starting up, or the app accessing the server would be relatively easy (maybe password protecting some parts and not others would be significantly more complicated and not worth the effort).
    It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
    - Ferris Bueller about the 1961 Ferrari 250GT Spyder California
    - Me about the Tesla Roadster

I live my life 240 [ideal] miles at a time.
    - Paraphrasing Dom in The Fast and the Furious

I can think of lots of reasons why giving your phone to family to play with isn't a good idea (Do you have one-click enabled in Amazon? Will your son delete your appointments or create new ones and invite your business associates?). Accidentally starting a charge on your car seems a lot less worrisome.

However, it might be worth putting the password requirement on CAN Write enabling via the App. That way you could disable it when handing your phone to someone else.

Thread Information