Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delivery Sequence - Regular U.S. Model S before European Signature Model S?

Delivery Sequence - Regular U.S. Model S before European Signature Model S?

Yesterday, I talked to a Tesla rep in the U.K. . He told me, that the Signature Model S in Europe will not be delivered before a substantial part of the regular Model S for the american market have been manufactured.

I have to admit, that I was rather disapointed about this, because I signed up for a Signaure reservation only, to be among the first to get a Model S.

He also told me, that they have not decided yet, in which order the queues for the specific countries are going to be delivered. In Europe there are at least 3 different queues: I'am #14 for Model S Signature in Switzerland, but there seems also to be a seperate queue for the U.K. and the rest of Europe.

In a worst case szenario this could mean, that my Model S Signature would not be delivered before all other queues are finished.

Does anybody here know more about how many regular Model S will be built before they start manufacturing the Signature Model S for Europe or in which order the queues for the specific countries will be manufactured?

check the blog post by George Blankenship:A Quick Update on Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

• After the Model S Signature Series, deliveries for North America will continue with the 300 mile batteries, followed by 230 and 160 options later in
    • Delivery of the European left-hand drive Model S is scheduled to begin in late 2012. In mid-2013 we plan to begin delivering the right-hand drive Model S for Europe and Asia.
    • Each launch will begin with a limited edition Signature Series.
    Delivery of EU Model S (left hand drive) starts after homologation (=make the car conform to EU standards). Homologation will complete end 2012/early 2013. UK have to wait even longer because modifications for right hand drive are far more intrusive than exchanging turn signals with amber color and so on.

There are benefits for that, though.
    • Signature and General Production cars will number 4000-5000 until your car is built. All the initial bugs will be worked out
    • For EU customers, all battery pack sizes (160, 230, 300) miles and possibly a wider set of options are available when it's time to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by VolkerP View Post
    check the blog post by George Blankenship
    I was aware of the blog post, but in my opinion, it leaves much room for speculation: For instance, it could mean just as well that "Signature delivery" includes the Model S Signature for Europe followed by the regular productions cars in the U.S. (the way I always interpreted this). It says only, that they will start delivering "the Model S" in Europe late 2012, which could also mean that it will take them that long to manufacture the U.S. Signature Model S.

But I'm very curious, why you think, that it is the way you said. Do you have any detailed information, about when Tesla will exactly start with the homologation process and how long it will take?

In my opinion, they could start right after the RC is ready.

Signature and General Production cars will number 4000-5000 until your car is built.
    Is this an estimate or do you know anything to support this number?

I'm still thinking about upgrading to a Signature, but I want to have a solid deadline first. Right now the European delivery is vague. I'm still counting on December 2012/Jan 2013 for the European sigs / 300 mile versions.

Model S Perf Sig 1055 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    Model S FAQ

The first 1,000 Model S vehicles delivered in the United States and the first 200 in Canada will be Signatures.
    I suppose the significance of the above is up for interpretation, but assuming there is little if any engineering and regulatory differences between American and Canadian Model S', if I were Tesla I would put the North American Signature reservation holders first. That is, I would put the 200 Canadian Signature reservation holders ahead of the American general production 300 mile range battery pack reservation holders.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    I'm still thinking about upgrading to a Signature, but I want to have a solid deadline first. Right now the European delivery is vague. I'm still counting on December 2012/Jan 2013 for the European sigs / 300 mile versions.
    You want a sig even with no 3-ph support?
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

Quote Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
    You want a sig even with no 3-ph support?
    3-phase support is available only for EU signature models

Quote Originally Posted by linaser View Post
    But I'm very curious, why you think, that it is the way you said. Do you have any detailed information, about when Tesla will exactly start with the homologation process and how long it will take?
    Signature and General Production cars will number 4000-5000 until your car is built.
    Is this an estimate or do you know anything to support this number?
    This is an estimate. I base it on Tesla's statements to produce 5000+ cars in 2012 and to start deliveries in EU in 2013. The assumption that ALL signatures for all markets are produced ahead of general production cars would imply a) all homologation is done way before delivery and b) general production deliveries for North America market would be postponed.
    I think it's highly unprobable that Tesla would allow for a significant gap (2-3 months) between delivery of the last signature and delivery of the first general production in US. It is their home market, they need to deliver and not disappoint eager customers.

So I think EU won't see any Model S, be it signature or GP, before Dec 2012.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chanin View Post
    I suppose the significance of the above is up for interpretation, but assuming there is little if any engineering and regulatory differences between American and Canadian Model S', if I were Tesla I would put the North American Signature reservation holders first. That is, I would put the 200 Canadian Signature reservation holders ahead of the American general production 300 mile range battery pack reservation holders.

Larry
    There are differences between US and Canadian cars, such as the need for daytime running lights and immobilizers in Canada. But these features will be built into the cars from day one, and switched by firmware if needed. Tesla has stated that Canadian deliveries will start three months after American; the delay is probably due to getting Canadian certification in place.

3-phase support is available only for EU signature models
    JB Straubel told me, that there will be no direct 3-ph charging. Only via DC. Thats a real shame.
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

Thread Information