Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tattler Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scott451

KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96
Apr 2, 2009
Palo Alto
I'm happy to announce, I'm taking orders now for the next batch of tattlers. I expect to ship the first 10-20 this month and the remainder in November. USA and Canada only for now.

The Tattler is not an iPhone or Android app. It's hardware, a small Linux box with a cellular modem. It is connected to the roadster diagnostic connector. It uses simple SMS text messages for status and control and should work with any SMS (text message) capable phone. The tattler can be user installed behind the passenger seat or professionally installed underneath the driver door jam.

Price: $499 + s/h

I would prefer to pre-activate the tattler on AT&T or T-Mobile so I can confirm that everything is working properly.

The following plans are available from the carriers:

AT&T
$25 Activation
$20 unlimited SMS
$10 1000SMS/mo
$5 200SMS/mo

T-Mobile
$10 Activation
$15 unlimited SMS T-mobile
$10 1000 SMS/mo T-mobile

attachment.php?attachmentid=3152&d=1318847690.png

Here are some of the supported features:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1863&d=1306998401.gif

An installation video can be found here: http://youtu.be/0kZcToGwvZA

The command structure is designed to be simple and SMS/T9 friendly. E.g. "charge stop" and "stop charge" are the same.

Attached below are pictures from the various commands. Commands are in green, car responses are in gray. (this is not an iPhone app, it works on any phone that can send text messages).

IMG_0616.PNG
IMG_0618-edit.png
IMG_0901.PNG

IMG_0619.PNG
IMG_0620.PNG

IMG_0900.PNG
IMG_0899.PNG

Will the tattler work on a Palm Pre Plus?
Yes. It should work with any SMS text capable phone.

Will it work with my blackberry?

But my phone can't do apps. Will my phone still work with the tattler?

Am I correct the Tesla Tatler is only for I-phone at the moment and not for a Driod X? While I would love the application I do not have an i-Phone.
No. The tattler is not an app. It will work with any Android based phone. It should work with any SMS text capable phone.

Zack said:
Can I activate the tattler on my Verizon/Sprint account?
You can use your Verizon/Sprint phone to control the tatter. But, No the tattler modem must be activated on GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile). I am working on porting the Gobi API (linux) to the tattler, but Verizon/Sprint support will have to come at a later date... Sorry.

I'm on T-mobile with a family plan, can I just walk in with my old RAZR and get them to activate it as another line on my family plan, and then pull the SIM card out and put it in the Tattler?
Yes. If you send me your SIM card, I will install it and confirm it works with the tattler.

Disclaimer: This device sends and receives CAN messages on the CAN0 bus using the diagnostic connector of the Tesla Roadster. Because it uses the same diagnostic connector as the Tesla service technicians, you should shutdown and disconnect your tattler before bringing it in for service. Tattler Solutions, LLC is not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc. I don't work for Tesla, nor have any friends that do. I'm just passionate about Tesla's products and understanding how they work. The Tattler is the result of my own analysis of my 2008 & 2011 roadsters and discussions with (and CAN data from) other owners.

Attachments

• tattler order.png
    tattler order.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 2,441
Last edited:
Scott deserves a lot of thanks for building this very useful gadget. He spent quite a bit of time on it.

For Canadians looking for a phone plan, the least expensive option I could identify is the Rogers "Socialite 20" pay-as-you-go plan. It offers unlimited free texting (within Canada) and costs $20 a month.

Since it's pay-as-you-go you won't have to pay while the car is in winter Storage Mode.

There are slightly cheaper plans here and there, but they charge per text and I figured that with modest usage the Rogers plan would be cheaper.

Scott,

I see that you live where it's warm year-round. Will the cool-down command also warm the car up? For about 5 months of the year we have to plug the Roadster in about an hour before driving to warm-up the battery.

Last edited:
Stupid question:
I'm on T-mobile with a family plan, can I just walk in with my old RAZR and get them to activate it as another line on my family plan, and then pull the SIM card out and put it in the Tattler?

Probably December. I want to build up a decent user support base before I ship outside of the US. I'm only one person and I have a fun but busy day job, so the Tattler has to be self supported by the users. With Tom and Doug_G on board as beta testers, this shouldn't be a problem.
So is there going to be a Tattler subforum here on TMC for these kinds of support questions, FAQ posting, etc?

So is there going to be a Tattler subforum here on TMC for these kinds of support questions, FAQ posting, etc?
Yes. This thread will become the FAQ thread, as I will update post #1 with FAQs until it gets too big for a post. There will be a support thread where post #1 will collect the progress of releases and feature requests. I do this so that noobies can read the first post and have the most current info without lurking through 50+ pages of chatter :smile: