Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My spare connector is on the fritz. Dangit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried to plug my car in at home after a long road-trip and discovered that my spare connector won't light up green anymore. It occasionally blinks once or twice if I wiggle it in the socket but it won't charge the car at all. Bummer! The plug is labeled with model number from North Shore Safety that doesn't fully match anything on their website, so I wrote to them (as well as Tesla) to see if repair parts are available. I wonder if the current limit for the GFI was custom-adjusted for Tesla? I know that the GFI current sensitivity allows higher ground-current leakage for cars than indoor equipment. Does anybody know if the plug circuitry is custom-designed for Tesla?

You reminded me that mine died last week too. It was working charging the car and a few hours later I came out and it had died. I was just going to go to Home Depot and put a regular plug on it, but I had forgotten about it until now.

Tesla has fixed each problem as it's occurred... kudos to them.

The first night I brought my car home, someone unplugged my spare connector and left it on the ground in my apartment's parking garage, and then someone else inadvertently drove over it, crunching part of the case. I have a feeling that's why it's failing now. It worked for 7 months after being abused but has finally kicked the bucket.

I think the signaling circuitry is in the metal housing itself.

As discussed in the GFCI problems thread in Roadster>Technical Discussion, you can remove the GFCI with three screws and put a new one on.

The only thing I'm concerned about is whether Tesla made any circuit modifications to the plastic GFI unit to allow higher ground leakage than it was originally designed for. It's my understanding that devices like electric cars are allowed a higher ground-fault leakage current before cutout (which is why wall-mounted GFIs will fight with our chargers for the Tesla sometimes).

Fixed! A screwdriver and 5 minutes is all it took. Yay!
photo-3.jpg

Thank you Zack. The North Shore Safety: PGFP-A11 is still available 30$ with shipping to California. There are slight differences in layout (the wires are in a different order, but color coding is the same. The weatherproofing is different). The roadster is now charging at 110V.