Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like to get opinions of people who rode shotgun in the Model S Betas about the front seats. The seats appear to be very round at the front and the headrest looks somewhat awkward and unadjustable. I'd be interested to know peoples opinions from their short experience about comfort, support and how you think it compares to your current vehicle.

22-tesla-model-s-beta-fd.jpg

We have a Lexus CT200H and IMO the seats are quite good, providing lots of lateral support and adjustment options. Would hate to downgrade one of my key comforts. :tongue:

2011-lexus-ct-200h_100328110_l.jpg

Also a picture of a BMW 335 seat, which was mistaken uploaded and won't go away now....:confused:

Attachments

• 335i-e90-sedan_22.jpg
    335i-e90-sedan_22.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 1,262
Seat was comfy for me, but although the look like bucket seats, they didn't hold me too tight when we hit the slalom. I don't remember leaning back on the headrest, but my wife said the one in the back was uncomfortable

The design looked unfinished to me. Would anyone agree?

The leather was loose fitting on the seat cushion, not something you'd expect until after a year or more of wear and tear. As Tomanik pointed out, the headrest wasn't adjustable, which doesn't seem a worthwhile cost-savings measure.

The last car I owned with leather seats was a 2006 Infiniti M45 and I loved the seats in there. Great head-rests (I know, a head-rest in a car isn't really for resting your head); great side bolstering for taking corners; nice accents on the stitching; perforated for the heat and cooling features; a thick leather that was very soft to the touch--the best of both worlds. So I hope Tesla tweaks some of these attributes of the seats.

Yeah, we were sliding all over the car in the slalom. I think the guys in the back seat all ended up on the same side of the car. It seems they slowed down the slalom later in the day, though, so I'm not sure if everyone had the same experience.

Certainly I would hope that the Sport version, at least, would have seats designed to keep you from sliding around. The Roadster does, especially the 2.5 seats.

My Infiniti G37xS has electrically-adjustable side supports:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2982&d=1318091429.jpg

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2,946
I'm hoping they improve the side support of the "bucket" seats or that sport edition has "premium" sport seats. If that increases the cost of the sport package, oh well. I want Model S Sport to be able to go up against the Panamera on an equal playing field. I can't wait to see "Model S Signature Sport" on the back of my own car. :biggrin:

The design looked unfinished to me. Would anyone agree?

Totally agree - I think most of the interior is still a work in progress. Like for instance the doors, there was not really a handle where you could pull the door shut. I'm sure that's going to change.

When they say the car is 90% of what the production model will be, I think that the remaining 10% will come in the interior (and I think we might be surprised how much 10% really is).

I have to echo some of the other posters that lateral support should be improved, Hopefully with something like the infiniti G has with the adjustable bolsters (at least for the model s performance).
The seats as they are in the betas are very bench like, very flat. Maybe a choice between performance seats and "regular" seats would be a good option to have.

Anyone know of any updates regarding the seats????

That twitter post is pretty vague.....

Doesn't seem like a good thing for someone to be in pain after a 238 mile trip.....stiff....sure, pain....no....

Well, they were driving in a car with the leather seats--no surprise there. I expect the cloth seats will be more comfortable. Also on a long drive you should change your seating position frequently, so perhaps they didn't.

Well, they were driving in a car with the leather seats--no surprise there. I expect the cloth seats will be more comfortable. Also on a long drive you should change your seating position frequently, so perhaps they didn't.

Confused a bit by this...

.....we know it has leather seats based on who's car it was that they've tested....

...been on all kinds of trips in my 40 years of driving with leather, pleather, vinyl, cloth seats....never had "pain"....so, I don't know how to interpret what they were feeling....maybe someone needs to do the same distance trip....

...been on all kinds of trips in my 40 years of driving with leather, pleather, vinyl, cloth seats....never had "pain"....so, I don't know how to interpret what they were feeling....maybe someone needs to do the same distance trip....

I believe there are two or three sources for long distance driving pain:

1. If the seat doesn't breath, then the moisture build up can cause irritation. (This is what I was getting at with the leather.)

2. If you don't move your position regularly, you can get some pain from holding a position for too long. (This is easy to do if you are concentrating on driving in moderate to heavy traffic.)

3. Some people are more sensitive to seating positions than others. (lumbar support, seat length compared to leg length, etc.)

Walked around Kensington area of London today. Multiple sightings of all great cars both parked and mong. Checcked for seat leather taughtness. Lexus taught. BMWs mixed. Bentleys and Audi R8 same slight puckering as Model S. IMHO there is no prima facia case that the seats are low quality.