Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Umc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

W.Petefish

Apr 29, 2011
I was looking at the UMC 2.0 and was curious. They said that it would have adaptors like the old UMC but it wouldn't have the same connector.

What signaling options do you think that they will use in between the adaptor and the new UMC?

Speculation: The new adaptors might use a Dallas Semiconductor one-wire eeprom. With the ground connection you would only need one other wire to signal the UMC to the voltage and amperage present.

I asked the designer. He said it uses basic components similar to the old UMC. But in a different way that gives them more options on what adapters it can detect.
Also, the plan is to have the adapters just be little modules, not stubby cables like the old one. So you could carry a kit of options in a little bag and take up less room.
I pointed out that some sockets are inside a box (such as the 120V outlet in a Coulomb Chargepoint) and a plug with an adapter on it could be too big to fit. He said they were aware of that concern, and plan to take that into account.
No more bulky "California connector" like the old UMC1. Expect the plug and adapter modules to look elegant like the rest of the box they showed already.
At the factory tour they had stuck some placeholder NEMA14-50 and NEMA5-15s on the ends of some of the units to demo them, but those plugs were not representative of the final product.

RFID would require having the adaptor in close proximity to the UMC, then you also have issues with the other adaptors in range of the UMC. I was just pointing out that a one-wire eeprom would work quickly and easily.

Again follow acronym KISS. Where simpler is always better, and usually lasts longer.

Some more UMC2.0 details since this has become the 'defacto' UMC2 info thread:

The new UMC 2.0 was introduced alongside the Model S betas at the factory tour on October 1, 2011.

AC Charging up to 40amps (9.6kW)
Expected to have a plug with swappable adapters to fit various NEMA socket standards.

From Model S Features | Tesla Motors
THE NEW UNIVERSAL CONNECTOR: Now with a thinner cable and ultra-compact vehicle connector
umc2_0.jpg

If Tesla wants to follow in Apple's (successful) footsteps, this is probably where it starts - modern, 'consumer friendly' design for the "little stuff" where the rest of the industry is stuck doing industrial designs. (Sort of Apple mouse vs PC mouse.)

After holding this thing in my hand, I will never be able to appreciate other standard plugs (like J1772) as much because this thing feels so much more comfortable and sleek. The build quality of the prototypes I saw seemed high. It felt durable and robust using high quality materials.

The main downside is that is does not seem to be based on any common connector standards, the upside is that it seems better than any existing products in terms of attractive design, ease of use, and comfort.

Some speculated it would be nice if there was a way to retrofit old Roadsters with the new socket.

For reference, the old UMC 1.0 is described here:
Universal Mobile Connector - Available in North America Only Tesla Motors

Last edited:
More pictures:
umc2a.jpg

socket4.jpg

(Cutout for the lock pin... The socket in the car can hold onto the plug so that no one can remove it unless they have a Tesla Model S key.)

6204663382_8d2c943ae4_z.jpg
6204674182_9dde9ed5ae_z.jpg
(two photos above by Doug)

Last edited:
I gather they may be planning to offer them in different colors. I saw them in red, black, and white matching the Beta cars they showed off at the factory when they introduced this new UMC 2.0

A white one:
6204124907_90766809ac_z.jpg
(another photo by Doug)

Last edited:
I was looking at the UMC 2.0 and was curious. They said that it would have adaptors like the old UMC but it wouldn't have the same connector.

What signaling options do you think that they will use in between the adaptor and the new UMC?
The main thing I got was that it is going to be a Tesla proprietary connector, so not so easy to make your own adapters with off the shelf parts. Of course you could always just make a NEMA 14-50 adapter, but you'll have to remember set the current on the car (hopefully by iPhone app!).

RFID for this purpose is way overkill. Plus, you use that for proximity. Here you have actual contact, so it can be much simpler.

If I were designing my own connector, I'd just use a simple encoder. Like 3 or 4 small contacts that mate to something like preset dip switches inside the adapter (you don't actually need physical dip switches). Four bits already gives you 16 settings, likely more than enough. Probably you could get by with just 3 bits (8 settings). KISS

Here is one thing I found out about UMC 2.0. I was able to question one of the engineers. It is the RFID from the Key fob that opens the charge door and unlocks the charge cable. I was told that any key fob can acuate the door and unlock the UMC, so in it's present design configuration even though the UMC is locked to the car, anyone with a Tesla key fob can unlock it. Did anyone else hear this also?

If TM is going to put proprietary infrastructure in place it actually makes sense that ANY fob can unlock the cable on ANY Model S. That would make sharing the EVSE much easier. It does not unlock the car, obviously, just the charge port/cable. So ... if I am done charging, I can plug in the (unattended) Model S waiting its turn :smile:

Yes, but it also can unlock your $2000 unattended UMC.
Hmmm. True. Of course I don't expect a Model S owner to steal. But ... you make a good point, so ... to be on the safe side, the car should tell the difference between a UMC and an EVSE being plugged in and only release the UMC if it's the owner's fob. :smile:

Hmmm. True. Of course I don't expect a Model S owner to steal.

A cable like that would only be valuable to either a Model S owner or someone who wants to sell it to a model S owner. As owners who know that the only source is TM, we would know that a non-owner would possess a stolen UMC. On the other hand, an uncouth Model S owner may steal to have a second UMC or to replace a broken UMC (not covered by warranty).