Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't it seem most likely that the wheels that enable 320 mile range will be smooth flat discs with no openings at all?
Did anybody get any information at all on the wheels?

If so, how many are interested in the 7% gain for an "aesthetic penalty"?

just an inference to the possibility of prior knowledge of something not "designed" yet. and any way I would also say I have a design on paper although it is in the comport. it's just the way you stil talk about designs that are not finished or prototyped yet. so no one told me anything. just helping with your previous question

Doesn't it seem most likely that the wheels that enable 320 mile range will be smooth flat discs with no openings at all?

Vey much possible. Much like Time Trial bicycles (one of which was pictured in the Model S brochure that we got at the factory): Individual time trial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - "Deep section or solid disc wheels are often used to reduce turbulence around the spokes, but these can affect handling in windy conditions."

My guess ... they have enough actual test knowledge to be able to make the public claims (because there was enough new information that the aerodynamic tires/20 more miles of range didn't need to be announced). I'd also venture a guess that the actual design is being held until finalized for a variety of reasons - leave something else to show for the wow factor in the future, don't give away all the secrets sooner than necessary, use the public interest as part of supplier contract negotiation, etc.

I asked Franz about them directly. He said "they don't look too bad considering". So I gather that there is a design. And it isn't the prettiest wheel ever, but he doesn't think it will ruin the look of the car.

Let me pose the question as this:
If the aerodynamic wheels are the same price, give +7% range but are slightly less attractive, will you get them?
How about more than less attractive - all the way to fugley, will you get them?

Short of "repulsive," I'd consider the aerodynamic wheels. This car makes a statement... the wheels can make a statement too. If you don't act like the wheels are ugly, all the other car owners will be jealous that they can't have aerodynamic wheels. These will be the "spinners" of the 2010's!!!!