Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Aero wheels

I really disliked them the first time I saw them, but I think they sort of grow on you with time. The look better with some colors than others.

7% is a decent amount of range improvement. I just wish the did not "cheapen" the look of the car, especially since they cost $2500 extra.
    S85 | Pearl White+Ta​n+Obeche Matte | Tech+Parking+Fog+Dual Chargers | 19" Std Wheels | Photosync+XPEL | VIN 254XX | Delivered 11/25/13 | Powered by 4.8kW Solar

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    7? I think it's 3%.
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.11, 27,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

The more I look at them, the less I like them. I was thinking of having a body shop color match the wheels to the car (I have brown), sort of like the old Mercedes wheel covers. But that doesn't look good either. I like the 5 spoke OEM wheels so much that I will just slow down two miles per hour and reap my 3% that way. Sorry Tesla. Hope you come up with another try later.

Aero wheels

Quote Originally Posted by gg_got_a_tesla View Post
    7? I think it's 3%.
    He must be thinking with the LRR tires... Each is quoted as 3% savings. So obviously 3+3=7

Quote Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
    He must be thinking with the LRR tires... Each is quoted as 3% savings. So obviously 3+3=7
    Sorry, I just used the % from the first post in this thread. I could not find anything specific on Telsa's Site

For only 3% it's not worth the cost or the asthetic penalty for me.
    S85 | Pearl White+Ta​n+Obeche Matte | Tech+Parking+Fog+Dual Chargers | 19" Std Wheels | Photosync+XPEL | VIN 254XX | Delivered 11/25/13 | Powered by 4.8kW Solar

Quote Originally Posted by gg_got_a_tesla View Post
    7? I think it's 3%.
    Quote Originally Posted by liuping View Post
    For only 3% it's not worth the cost or the asthetic penalty for me.
    There’s a post on that topic in this thread:

Why the 19 Aero Rims will Never Sell

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    Extending EPA range by 3% could easily extend real highway range by more. EPA range is city/highway combined. City range is meaningless. Real highway range is mostly about aerodynamics. Throwing out the city start/stop component could bump the boost from the aero wheels higher than 3%, lets say 4% or 5%. But that's still mostly at 55mph. At 80mph the aerodynamic component is much more important - at 80mph the difference might be 6% or 7%
    Now you have a difference that matters. Only testing will tell. Testing at 80mph - the speed people really want to drive.

The purpose of the aerodynamic wheels isn't to save money - it is to save time. Better efficiency/more range means fewer stops, less time stopped on a long trip.
    If you are going somewhere without superchargers it matters a lot.

I agree the price is steep and I don't like the way they look.

[Source: Why the 19 Aero Rims will Never Sell]

(Cross posting since there’s currently discussion in three separate places… )

Quote Originally Posted by liuping View Post
    Quick and dirty Photophop of powder coated Areos. Maybe not on pearl, but maybe okay on other colors...

Name:  side_white_areo_powdercoat_copy.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  107.3 KB
    The following is about Tesla’s Aero wheels though:

Is it possible to remove the black (?) paint?

Otherwise, perhaps it’s possible to order them from the Italian (?) manufacturer (via Tesla) without the paint. Then one could give them an optional finish or perhaps leave them as is in aluminum. (Or are all aluminum wheels coated in something, even if they look unvarnished?)
    Last edited by SwedishAdvocate; 2013-09-12 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Changed some wording.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishAdvocate View Post
    (Cross posting since there’s currently discussion in three separate places… )

The following is about Tesla’s Aero wheels though:

Is it possible to remove the black (?) paint?

Otherwise, perhaps it’s possible to order them from the Italian (?) manufacturer (via Tesla) without the paint. Then one could give them an optional finish or perhaps leave them as is in aluminum. (Or are all aluminum wheels coated in something, even if they look unvarnished?)
    There are several threads about powder coating the standard rims for about $400-$500. I assume that can be done for the Aeros as well.

Crossposting for completeness. (And to shamelessly plug the Aero Wheels for the greater good of all of humanity and then some…)

Name:  aeros_by_yobigd20.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  101.9 KB
    Photo credit (and originally posted by): yobigd20

I realize it's a crude rendering, but I was too curious to hold back on exploring this...

Name:  AeroModified.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  82.7 KB

I suspect with black alloy gators it would look something like the front wheel in this rendering.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information